Flying Away

Flying Away

A Story by SomerSunshine
"

I get these ideas for really dramatic scenes- and instead of trying to turn it into something it isn't, I decided to leave it as it is. A scene. So tell me what you think (:

"

        She laid quietly on the ground, chest rising slowly. She needed a moment- time to let it sink in. There wasn't a whole lot that had surprised her anymore. And this shouldn't have affected her as much as it had. All of these things had been warnings. All of these games had been warnings of what was to come if she didn't stop running. She had ignored them, because there hadn't been much to lose if she lost.

        There still wasn't much to lose. But she couldn't keep ignoring them.

        A sob bubbled through her lips, and she raised a shaky hand to wipe her eyes. What was the point of running anymore? There could only be so far that she could get. No matter what she did, no matter where she went- they would be there, too. Always a step behind her. And they would kill her.

        So what was the point of prolonging it? To give herself hope, only to have it crushed and to find everyone she loved dead, too? To have to face the that most everyone she loved was dead? Maybe it was better if she just did it herself. Then she could do it on her own terms. She felt her phone vibrate in her pocket, making her worn-out jeans rub against her thigh, and left her eyes closed.

        It vibrated again, and she pulled it out of her pocket, flipping it open. She took a deep breath and brought it to her ear, and knowing who it was, tried her best to keep all signs of emotion out of her voice. It was best for the both of them.

        "How much longer are we going to play this game, honey?" He asked, sarcasm coating his voice. She bit her lip. Keep it simple, she told herself. Keep it easy.

        "I guess we play until you quit." She stated. Perfect.

        He let out a little growl. "Baby, we can keep this going as long as you want." he purred, teasing her, and she could hear the sex appeal just rolling off his tongue. A shiver rocked through her body. It gave her butterflies every time he talked like that. They both let everything fall silent.

        "I don't know what to do anymore." She whispered, knowing fully well that he could hear her. A few tears dripped of her chin and onto her hand, and she tried to focus on how beautiful they looked against her hand and the plush green grass. But all she could think about was that it felt so damn good to have someone listen. To have someone know that she wanted to give up.

        Guilt was going to tear through her after this. She was weak.

        All was silent on his end. A sharp pain tore through her chest, and she sat up, hands tangled in the grass, and she leaned herself against a tree.

        The phone cackled and his voice broke the silence. "You need to give up, Kayla. There is no escaping. You're making this a lot harder than it has to be." Her lip began to quiver. The flatness of his voice- the total acceptance that it held- made her want to scream. Shouldn't there be hope for her?

        "I just want to live," She whispered. "Is that too much to ask?" Everything was quiet again. The world was slowing down. After all of this, she had to already know the answer. She just had to hear it from him. Hearing it from him would make it real.

        "I don't know what you want me to say, Kayla." He said, only this time he sounded just as broken and as pitiful as she did.

        "I just want you to tell me the truth. Am I asking too much?" Her whole body was shaking now.

        He took a shaky breath, and dread began to build in the pit of her stomach.

        "Kayla. Please don't make me answer this. You know how much I love-"

        "I need to hear it, Jake. I need to hear it once." Her vision blurred over again.

        He coughed out a bitter laugh. "You need to die, Kayla. Why would you want to hear that? I love you so much it hurts, d****t. Why are you doing this to me? You think I want this any more than you do?" He demanded, and the loudness of his voice made her jump.

        She had known that there was no hope for people like her. A feeling of relief spread over her, and for the first time in God knows how long, she could relax. Now was the time to accept, she thought. She leaned back as hard as she could, feeling the bark bite her skin, making her feel even more alive. And feeling alive made her feel powerful.

        "Kayla? Kayla?" He asked, frantic now. She glanced down at the gun by her side, and the vial of blood beside it. It was escape. Escape for those with nothing left. It had so much to offer- and she had so little left.

        A new beginning.

        What was so wrong with starting over?

        "Answer me, Kayla! What the hell are you doing, Kayla? Answer me, d****t! Please!" He begged. Her heart slowed to a crawl. She was safe now. It was all up to her, for once. Now that was something that she could marvel at. As selfish as it was, this was all hers for the keeping. She wanted to savor it.

        "There's nothing left, Jake. You're right. What is the point of me even trying anymore, Jake? There isn't one. You're right. You're always right. There isn't an escape. I thought I could get away, Jake. Just like the rest of them did," She laughed softly, and looked up through the trees limbs and towards the sky just in time to see a group of birds take off.

        "You don't get it. Just try cooperating, and maybe after you tell them what they want to know, Kayla-" he took a deep breath, and she could tell he was struggling. "I love you."

        She shook her head slightly, and leaned her scalp back up against the tree. She glanced down at the bottle of blood and the gun again, and closed her eyes. This was it.

        "I love you, Jake. Good bye." She muttered slowly, and began to shut her phone.

        She heard his frantic voice for a brief second, and he was openly sobbing now. "Listen to me-" and then he was cut off. Her fingers grasped the phone tightly, willing it to shatter to pieces in her hand. She clenched her other hand in a fist, and relished the feeling of her nails biting into her skin. It felt so good.

        She picked up the vial of blood and popped it open. What does blood smell like? She wondered, and leaned over the vial and sniffed slighly, and her nose wrinkled. Copper.

        She downed it as quick as she could, and could only picture what a gruesome sight she must look like. She could feel a little bit trickle out of the corner of her mouth, and she swallowed back the urge to throw up. This was her choice- no chickening out now, she figured. Sobs exploded from her mouth.

        Suddenly the bile exploded back up her throat and she burst forward to throw up. Oh God. Her stomach exploded in painc, and she reached for the gun. It was heavy and ice cold in her hands. It was her doom, she thought sadly. Either way, it was going to have to happen sooner or later. And now they would either find her with her brains blown out, or they wouldn't find her at all.

        Either option was sounding good, she tried to convince herself. It was for the best. Her phone began to vibrate over and over again.

        She leaned back to the tree again, breath coming in gasps, to look up at the sky through the trees one more time. The birds were now settled in branches of the tree, and they seemed to be judging her, all of them staring down with their beady eyes. She willed them away.

        "Please," she gasped. "God, please."

        She opened her mouth wide, eyes still staring at the birds above her, and the blue sky beyond them. Placed the gun in her mouth, and begged whatever was out there for her to be able to keep her eyes open.

        She pulled the trigger.

© 2010 SomerSunshine


Author's Note

SomerSunshine
The point of this is just being a scene. Just a lot of raw emotion and one thing happening. There's no background information or anything, so it may not make a whole lot of sense. But I don't want to try making a story or book out of something that's not meant to be one. So tell me what you think! (:

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

424 Views
Added on November 16, 2010
Last Updated on November 19, 2010
Tags: Teen, Love, Acceptance, Endings

Author

SomerSunshine
SomerSunshine

MN



About
My name is Somer, and I'm just a girl from Minnesota. I love to write, and one day I hope to become an author. I like stories with a lot of feeling, and run-on sentences. So hopefully my stories h.. more..

Writing
adfdaf adfdaf

A Story by SomerSunshine