The Doors of Fate- Ep.1: You Can't run From Fate

The Doors of Fate- Ep.1: You Can't run From Fate

A Screenplay by Sean
"

When ten teens all mysteriously receive tickets to a mansion in the middle of nowhere, they must find answers, and more importantly, survive in a place where everything goes wrong.

"

TEASER


EXT-DARK FOREST-NIGHT


A terrified girl runs for her life in an empty forest. She is constantly looking back, frantic as to what is behind her. Her boots snap the dead branches fallen from the ominous trees above her. Her breath can be seen in the freezing weather as she breaths out of her mouth, struggling to keep her movement fast in the chase for her life. Her heart feels like a sledgehammer, banging against her chest with every step she takes. Her hair, blonde, a tangled mess of twigs and leaves that flows behind her.


As she takes a quick glance back she sees what is chasing her, and her eyes widen with fear. Suddenly, the jackhammer  in her chest is now pounding even harder than it was before. She urges her legs to pump faster, and begrudgingly they except, pushing her harder and harder through the endless array of seemingly identical trees.


She takes another quick glance behind her. Mistake. In her moment of weakness she failed to spot the small hill before her, only feet from where she was, she tumbles over it, and slides across the ground onto the unforgiving floor. As she slams to the ground she feels  something snap. She looks down at her leg, only to find it bent in a completely misshapen angle. Her unlucky landing would prove to be her downfall.


GIRL

S**t! Oh no! No, no, no.


She looks around in all directions to try and spot the unknown enemy. Hopeless, though it was, she began running again, her leg an anchor on her body slowing her down. She looks forward, backward, into the trees, and still couldn’t find a sign of it. The one place she didn’t look however, was below.


Her free leg is caught, and for a moment, she thinks that she’s dead. However, she gets up and sees what horrifies her to an even greater extent. What was once a healthy man was now staring at her with blank, dead eyes.


She can no longer take it. She shouts, her voice cracking from not being used in forever, and calls for a desperate attempt for someone to hear her.


GIRL

Someone! Please, anybody, help me!


Her shouts continue to echo into the trees, and she can  only hope that someone miraculously hears her plea.


GIRL

Oh god. It’s over.


She hears a growl off in the distance. Whatever was after her was getting closer, and it wanted her to know that. She felt like a rabbit trying to outrun a fox. Slowly, the hope dimmed from her eyes, and she slumped against a tree.


GIRL

F**k this. There isn’t any hope. I’m just going to die like the others.


She stares up at the sky, and feels the words tumble out of her mouth.


GIRL

Goodbye. I’m sorry everyone. It’s my fault that you died. It’s all my fault. Please, please forgive me.


Tears pour down her rosy cheeks and drip down her chin. She makes an effort to wipe away her tears with her hand but they just keep coming, like an unforgiving onslaught of sadness.


Suddenly, her arm is grabbed, and she is pulled into the darkness of the trees, screaming and crying for help.


GIRL

No! No! Please! Help me! Somebody, please, he-


Her last plea sounds like a final note in an orchestra, ringing out into the night, only no one was applauding. Her decapitated  head falls onto the floor, with fresh tears still clinging to her face. As the shadow of whatever killed her scoops up her head and drags her body away, it passes a sign that says: “Welcome to the Doors of Fate, Please Enjoy your Stay”.







ACT 1

FADE IN


INT-DR. BERTRAND’S OFFICE-MORNING


In a calm, and peaceful room, Oscar Hernandez (17), sits in a comfortable leather chair, staring at the floor, as if he’s trying to solve an invisible puzzle. He looks up at his psychologist, Dr. Bertrand (53), with apparent worry showing in his brown eyes. He scratches his short, brown hair and begins to speak.


OSCAR

I just feel as if my life could spiral out of control at any second, you know? I…I don’t want anyone to get hurt.


Dr. Bertrand nods slowly at Oscar, with a very calm expression that tells him that he cares about everything he had to say.


DR. BERTRAND

Oscar, I wouldn’t worry about this. That’s why you are here with me, to get a hold of your problems. You have the ability to grab the reins of this horse, and steer it in the direction you want.


Oscar nods his head in understanding, and continues to solve the invisible puzzle on the ground. After a while, he looks up.


OSCAR

I…completely agree. You’re the professional, and I’m just a… well… a crazy person.


DR. BERTRAND

Oscar, that isn’t true. You are better than a lot of people out there in this world.


Dr. Bertrand looks at Oscar with worry, and then reaches over to pick up a blue ticket, lying on an end table next to him.


DR. BERTRAND

Oscar, I want you to have this.


He hands Oscar the blue ticket, and the boy stares at it for a while at first, but then takes it from the psychologist’s outstretched hand.


OSCAR

So, what exactly is this place?


Oscar stares at the ticket in his hands and notices there is a picture of a huge mansion on it. The mansion looks serene, beautiful even. However, there seems to be  a sort of mysterious atmosphere to it. As Oscar looks at it, he almost doesn’t see the big gold words embossed on the front that say “The Doors of Fate”.


OSCAR

I don’t understand, why…why are you giving this to me? Is this a haunted house? Or maybe, it’s a… resort?


DR. BERTRAND

Oscar, please, give it a try. You never know until you do, after all. I got this ticket in my mailbox, and all I could determine from it, is that it is a place that could give someone a much needed rest and relaxation. Of course, I could never do this, because I am constantly busy with work, but you, my dear friend, could put this to use.


For a moment, the doctor has a very odd expression. He looks almost as if he’s orchestrating a dogfight and betting on who the winner will be. He glances at his Omega watch and the strange look vanished instantly. He looks back up at Oscar.


DR. BERTRAND

I’m sorry, Oscar, but we are out of time. I look forward to our next session.


Oscar bolts out of his chair, politely, but quickly, nodding to the psychologist as he rapidly walks out of the office.


OSCAR

Um…yeah, and thank you…for everything.


EXTR-HALLWAY TO THE PSYCHOLOGIST’S OFFICE-MORNING


Oscar leaves the comfort and warmth of the office and takes a closer look at the mysterious ticket. Something about it seems familiar, but he can’t quite shake it. The double doors leading into the mansion seemed so inviting yet, also ominous.


INTR-AUDITORIUM-NOON


Onyx Kaiser, tall and lean, is standing  on the stage of an auditorium with a small nearly invisible mic wrapped around his ear. Right now, he stands in front of his audience of fellow peers, and he is giving them a speech about fear.


ONYX

What do we fear? That’s a good question. There’s really one thing we all fear, as a whole.


Onyx walks slowly across the stage, his movements graceful and calculated.


ONYX

They say fear is only what you make of it. It’s all in the mind, but that’s not all there is to it. If it were that simple the world would be filled with brave, fearless heroes… and it isn’t.


Onyx slowly walks, then stops in the middle of the stage and surveys his audience. He smiles as he skims through every row.


ONYX

Everyone is the same. (Beat…)


ONYX

We’ve all seen a horror movie right? Every good horror movie keeps you on the edge of your seat, guessing, anticipating, and despairing over what might happen next. It is an experience that is unparalleled, and that is what differentiates horror from every other genre. However, I challenge you, to watch that same movie over again, and try to feel that same feeling you felt the first time. Sadly, you can’t. It’s obvious why, isn’t it? Simply, it is because you’ve seen it all before. That, my dear friends is the true source of all fear, and no one is immune to it.


Onyx begins speaking slightly faster. He keeps up his calm and collected facade, but it seems evident he needs to get his point across.


ONYX

I mean, think about it. What has stopped you from dancing with that special someone, chasing your dreams, or simply being yourself? It’s because you have no idea what will happen if you do those things and will thus be afraid of the consequences. Theoretically, when you see a problem, you can deal with it, because you know what it is. However, a problem you don’t know, will inevitably haunt you, and you will fear it, because you don’t have any way to fix it.


Onyx stops, and for a moment it appears as if he has one last piece of information to give to the crowd, his mouth hanging open as if he has something to add. However, he decides against it and instead wraps up his speech.


ONYX

Thank you all so much for listening, I greatly appreciate it.


The crowd politely applauds as Onyx exits the stage.


INTR-BACKSTAGE THE AUDITORIUM-NOON


As Onyx enters the backstage area, Carmelita Vela is watching him, standing against a wall. A very practical girl, Carmelita wears her hair in a ponytail sticking out of her favorite baseball cap. A curled strand of her hair peaks out of her cap just slightly next to her face. She smiles shrewdly as Onyx confidently walks over to her.


CARMELITA

Nice work out there. It almost made me believe that you were an actual person. One with a heart, and everything. You do know what a heart is, don’t you?


Her spanish accent is very apparent as she talks.


Onyx smirks at her, and reaches for a small water bottle on the floor. He ignores her remarks and lightly twists off the cap of the tiny bottle. That was the thing with Onyx, even removing a water bottle cap had to be beautifully graceful.


CARMELITA (CONT’D)

You know, it’s the organ in your chest, that pumps blood to the-


ONYX

I know what a damn heart is, Carmelita.


Onyx takes a swig of water, and then turns back to Carmelita, a look of annoyance plastered on his face. He wasn’t usually like this, but something had shaken him. Carmelita did not notice at all.

CARMELITA

I’m sorry; of course you know what a heart is. It’s your wish to the Wizard of Oz, isn’t it?


ONYX

Yes, yes, very amusing. So, is there something you need, or did you just come over here to bother me?


CARMELITA

Well, bothering you was just a side mission. I actually have a message from Angelica.


Onyx sighed, he knew what was coming.


ONYX

Oh? And what is this humble request from the Queen of Mean, herself?


CARMELITA

I don’t know, she wouldn’t tell me. I do know however, that she said it was an emergency and you need to head over to her house right away.


Onyx finishes drinking and tosses the water bottle into a nearby trash can. Nonchalantly, he nods, as if this happens on a daily basis.


ONYX

She probably got her eyebrows burned off or something. Be a doll and accompany me there will you?


With a skeptical look on her face, Carmelita slowly walks up beside him.


CARMELITA

Wait, you’re actually going to check up on her?


Onyx shrugs, and for a moment, it looks as if he’s in a daydream, but he quickly resumes his gracious bearing and walks slowly over to the exit door.


ONYX

What’s the harm?


INTR-FOREST CLEARING-AFTERNOON


A dear looks around calmingly, and then takes a bite of grass. It feels serene, and its beauty resonates in the sunlight, bathing in the faint yellow glow of the golden star. Suddenly, it hears a rustle. Startled, it looks up at what made the unexpected noise, and vanishes into the comfort of the trees. The thing, or person it was looking at, was Jane Weber (17), who was trying to quietly watch the deer. Jane was not to blame however, because her very handsome boyfriend had arrived, stepping out of the trees and startling the deer. His name is Ken Wei (17), and he carries his backpack on one shoulder, to emphasize his cool factor, and stuffs one hand in his pocket.


He smiles charmingly as Jane’s face is a mask of anger. However in reality, she is very happy to see him.


JANE

Kenny! You scared off the deer!


KEN

Oh, yeah? I suppose you’re going to punish me now, huh, maybe…with a kiss?


Jane rolls her emerald green eyes.


JANE

No.


KEN

Well, it was worth a shot. What are you doing out here anyway? I mean, alone in the woods? This is the setting of most horror films, you know?


JANE

Really? This is the setting of most horror films, in a forest clearing in the afternoon with birds chirping and dear?


KEN

(JOKINGLY) Um, yeah, we’re in serious danger right now. I think we should evacuate the forest pronto.


JANE

Ha ha, Kenny. That was so funny, I actually remembered to fake laugh for you.


KEN

Alright, Miss Perfect, I get the idea.


Ken sits down next to Jane and pulls her closer to him.


KEN

You still haven’t answered my question.


Jane stares off in the distance, hesitant for a minute. She then looks Ken in his deep brown eyes. To her, Ken isn’t just some typical Asian hunk.


JANE

I guess… I just had to get away for a minute.


KEN

Don’t tell me you’re listening to what those mean girls have to say.


Jane is about to speak but notices a familiar girl not far from where they’re sitting. The uncomfortable girl stares at the floor and is poking the ground absently with a stick.


JANE

Hey, Nanako!


The girl looks up. We get a closer view of Nanako Takada. Her dark eyes dart to and fro to see who had called out to her. She sees Jane, one of her best friends, and Jane’s boyfriend, Ken.


Upon seeing Ken, she blushes. We can tell Nanako has a huge crush on Ken.


NANAKO

I’m sorry, I didn’t notice you. I’ll just be going.


JANE

Nonsense! Nanako, you’re enjoying this beautiful view, and everyone on the planet has a right to that. Come on over and sit with us!


Nanako’s spirit seems somewhat lifted. She smiles, awkwardly, and looks as if she might take Jane up on the offer.


NANAKO

Thank you, I’ll-


Ken interrupts.


KEN

You’re such an amazing, compassionate girl, Jane. I think you’ve earned this.


Ken Reaches over and kisses Jane suddenly, yet smoothly. Upon seeing this, Nanako looks crushed and walks away from the couple dejectedly. Jane shoves Ken off of her, angrily.


JANE

Ken! What was that?!


Ken looks hurt and confused.


KEN

Wow. I’m sorry for loving my girlfriend.


JANE

You don’t think Nanako was weirded out by that?


KEN

We’re dating! It’s normal to see a couple kiss!


Jane looks disgusted and stares back at the scenery.   


JANE

I just… please let me enjoy the clearing.


KEN

Sure.


JANE

ALONE!


Ken looks hurt. He stands up and begins to walk away.


KEN

Okay. Fine, and uh…have fun on your trip…


JANE

Have fun on what trip?


Ken points to a ticket sticking out of her backpack.


KEN

At the uh… nature place or whatever you’re going to for relaxing. I’m… sure you need it.


As Ken walks away Jane grabs the ticket out of her backpack, and stares at it, confused.


JANE

What, the doors of fate? What on Earth…?


EXTR-SIDEWALK ON A NEIGHBORHOOD-AFTERNOON


Nanako is walking across the street alone, looking hurt and exasperated. Her dark hair flows in the cool breeze. Nanako is a girl who is definitely pretty but doesn’t know it.


She sees a familiar face walking across toward her. It’s Oscar Hernandez. She lights up as he walks over.


OSCAR

Nanako! What a coincidence. It is so great to see you!


Nanako is looking dejected but she quickly brightens up at the sight of Oscar’s charismatic smile.


NANAKO

Yeah, you too.


OSCAR

So…are you just taking a walk? Getting your mind off things? I get it. I like to take walks all the time. It helps me with you know, dealing with life.


Nanako nods and smiles, but then stares at the floor. She has a slight crush on Oscar too, but once again, is too shy to say anything. She blushes, and stutters, trying to move along the conversation.


NANAKO

S-so, do you have any plans over the weekend?


Nanako suddenly realizes that what she said sounded like a prelude to asking him out, and blushes even redder, if that were even possible.


Oscar, however, doesn’t notice. Instead, he has his mind on something else. He looks slightly uncomfortable for a second, but then erases the look, and smiles at her.


OSCAR

Will you…walk with me? Please?


Nanako’s heart skips a beat. She almost couldn’t even get the next few words out of her mouth.


NANAKO

Sure, of course.


The two begin walking across the sidewalk together.


OSCAR

I’m actually on my way this weekend to a vacation spot.


NANAKO

Oh, yeah? W-w-what is this place?


Oscar continues to speak jovially, completely oblivious to Nanako’s awkwardness and stuttering.


OSCAR

Well, um, I’m sure you’ll be surprised by this, but…it is actually called…can I get a drumroll please?


Nanako laughs.


NANAKO

I would but I have no drums.


OSCAR

That’s okay. It’s called The Doors of Fate! How crazy is that?!


NANAKO

Yeah, that is a pretty odd name for a vacation spot.


OSCAR

What?! No! I mean, the fact that we’re both going there this weekend.


NANAKO

What makes you think I’m going?


Oscar stops walking and looks visibly confused.


OSCAR

You’re…holding a ticket in your hand.


NANAKO

What? No I’m-


Nanako looks down at her hand and notices she is clutching firmly onto a ticket to The Doors of Fate. She looks quizzically and concernedly at the ticket.


OSCAR

I’m sorry…uh; did you forget you were holding onto it? Or maybe, you’re giving it to someone else.


Nanako instantly becomes petrified.


NANAKO

I don’t…I…is this some kind of prank?


OSCAR

Woah, Nanako, no. I would never prank someone. Trust me, I know what it feels like to…look, maybe you just…forgot about it?


NANAKO

Oscar, this is really weird. If you didn’t plant this ticket on me, then who did?


Nanako glances at the ticket again, and focuses on the mansion and the big gold letters that say THE DOORS OF FATE.



END ACT 1








































ACT 2


INTR-ANGELICA’S HOUSE-LATE IN THE AFTERNOON


Focus in on a young girl with earbuds in lying on the couch listening to punk rock. She stares off into space as she is completely oblivious to the doorbell ringing in the background. This girl is Elemia Dupuis. An african-american woman with hair shaved on the right side with long bangs on the left side. We feel as if she releases a very chill and cool vibe.


Outside, Onyx is repeatedly ringing the doorbell over and over again. Carmelita, annoyed stands there for a few seconds, angrily. She then slaps his hand away from the doorbell.


CARMELITA

What the hell are you doing?!


ONYX

Trust me. This is Elemia and Angelica we are talking about. They won’t answer the door unless we ring it repeatedly nonstop-


Onyx is interrupted when the door swings open, and an angry, yet strikingly beautiful girl, is staring daggers at him. Meet Angelica Grace. mid-length blonde hair, and sharp blue eyes, it’s obvious she doesn’t need to spend much time in the mirror, not that she would want to. She goes for a simple look, and her blonde hair right now is, for the most part, an unkempt mess.


ANGELICA

What the HELL…do you want!?


ONYX

You invited me, remember?


ANGELICA

You’ll pay for my doorbell if you break it, you know that right?!


ONYX

Thanks for the invitation.


Onyx lets himself inside. He looks around and notices Elemia on the couch chilling. She waves at him, and he waves back. Angelica storms after him, with Carmelita tailing behind her.


ANGELICA

Onyx, I know your etiquette is extremely lacking, but could you refrain from barging into my house?! If you could, that’d be great, thanks.


ONYX

So, what is it this time? You look…fine, so I assume you must have burned something else down with your weird chemistry experiments.


ANGELICA

What?! No! This has nothing to do with my pyrotechnics!


ONYX

Then what, exactly is this about?


ANGELICA

Did you plant this in my mailbox?!


Angelica flashes a ticket with the picture of a mansion on it and the familiar letters, THE DOORS OF FATE. Onyx looks briefly confused, then amused.


ONYX

Ah, I see. You think I put that there as some sort of practical joke.


ANGELICA

No, I don’t think you did. I know you did! What’s the deal! I’m not that bitchy! Just ask Elemia.


Elemia gives a thumbs-up from her location on the couch.


ONYX

I can see why she listens to her music so loud.


Carmelita interjects the conversation.


CARMELITA

What even is this place? It looks like a resort, but it sounds like a church.


ANGELICA

I don’t know, why don’t you ask the know-it-all here?


Angelica gesticulates angrily at Onyx who seems to be very amused at this whole situation.


ONYX

Angelica, I have never seen this in my life. However…


Onyx yanks the ticket from Angelica.


ONYX

I would stay away from here. Something…doesn’t quite sit right with it.


CARMELITA

He’s right. It could be a sham.


ANGELICA

But, it’s free though. How could it possibly be a sham? I mean, it’s not like I want to go, anyway. It’s just weird, that’s all. I mean, does anyone know about this place?


ONYX

It is an odd name. Yet, I don’t think people just memorize a list of vacation spots to keep in back of their mind, so odds are, you won’t find anyone who knows about it…unless, of course, they’ve been there.


CARMELITA

Maybe they have a website or something like that.


Onyx and Carmelita look at Angelica expectantly for a few seconds.


ANGELICA

Go ahead. Use my laptop. Onyx pretty much uses whatever he wants to in my house anyway.


Elemia gets up and saunters over to the door. She flashes a quick peace sign as she walks over.


ELEMIA

I’m taking off. See ya, guys.


ONYX

You don’t want to find out the mystery?


If Elemia heard Onyx, she didn’t respond, because she was already out the door.


ANGELICA

Well…


Angelica pulls out her laptop from her backpack, and hands it to Carmelita.


ANGELICA

Let’s find out what this place really is.



EXTR-KEN WEI’S HOUSE-LATE AFTERNOON


Ken is walking up the driveway before he remembers to check his mail. He walks over to the mailbox to check it. From there, he opens the mailbox to find a ticket with a note attached to it.


Ken,


Here, I was thinking you might want to relax with some friends.


-A very secret (not-so secret) friend


Ken smiles, and sees that attached to the note is a ticket to

THE DOORS OF FATE


INTR-FAST FOOD RESTAURANT-LATE AFTERNOON


Elemia Dupuis is sitting across Jane, eating her fries with care. It was almost as if Elemia believed that Jane was going to turn into some sort of giant snake right then and there. After carefully taking another fry, Elemia finally speaks.


ELEMIA

So, what are you doing here? I wouldn’t think you would be caught dead in a fast food place like this.


Jane stares angrily at Elemia. You can tell that she is clearly having a hard time refraining from slapping the food out of Elemia’s hands.


JANE

Sadly, I need your assistance with something.


Elemia looks somewhat surprised as she takes another fry.


ELEMIA

With what?


Jane slaps the food out of Elemia’s hand as she takes another fry.


JANE

Can you stop eating junk food for five whole seconds and listen to me speak?!


Elemia Stops.


JANE

My boyfriend and I got into an argument today an-


ELMEIA

Boohoo.


JANE

Let me finish!



Much to Jane’s chagrin, Elemia starts stuffing fries into her face. This time, it seems that she is purposefully trying to grab as many fries as she can and stuff them into her mouth.


JANE

He kissed me, rather affectionately, and I shoved him off. The kiss seemed weird and misplaced, almost like it wasn’t coming from a place of love, but a place of want, you know?


Elemia nods as she shoves more fries into her face.


JANE

Well, anyways, I felt really bad about it, afterward, because I realized that he really does care about me. I mean, there was this ticket in my backpack to a vacation resort, and I could tell he wanted both of us to go, but he left after I yelled at him to leave.


Elemia stops eating for a minute and swallows.


ELEMIA

Why do you need to talk to me about this?


Jane blushes and scratches her head.


JANE

I’m not good at apologizing.


Elemia looks confused for a few seconds.


ELEMIA

Did someone tell you I was?


JANE

I just assumed you would have good advice about this issue because you rarely deal with a situation that bothers you.


Elemia ponders for a minute, and Jane gets impatient watching her think.


JANE

So…?


ELEMIA

Isn’t this Ken we’re talking about?


JANE

Well, yeah, obviously.


ELEMIA

Then chances are he’ll probably apologize to you first. Afterward, just tell him how much he means to you or something sappy like that.


Jane laughs, and looks somewhat flirtatiously at Elemia.


JANE

You know, you’d make a pretty good girlfriend to a very lucky guy.


Elemia smiles at the compliment.


ELEMIA

Why, all of a sudden do you like me? You were bristling from hate, not two seconds ago.


JANE

You have an atmosphere, one that I think I might like being around more if, well, you know...


Jane gestures to the junk food Elemia is eating. Elemia shrugs.


ELEMIA

Everyone has their flaws. Even you.


JANE

Yes. I suppose…you’re right.



EXTR-GYM-LATE IN THE AFTERNOON


A very muscular young man exits the double doors of a gym. He’s sweating, his dark pompadour slightly off kilter from his typical workout. This is Jerome Knight.


He takes a swig out of his water bottle and swings his towel over his shoulder as he’s about to leave.


A worker in the gym rushes out of the double doors.


GYM WORKER

Excuse me! Sir! I think you forgot something!


Jerome immediately checks his pockets to see if his wallet is there. It is. Jerome looks further confused when the man is holding up a ticket to a vacation resort.


JEROME

Sorry, I think that belongs to someone else.


GYM WORKER

It was in your locker.


The gym worker hands him the ticket, before Jerome can further protest.


GYM WORKER

Take it. Trust me. I’ve got important stuff to do, okay? Just…take it as a free gift.


Jerome watches in confusion as the worker enters the building.


JEROME

Dumbass…


Jerome looks at the golden words on the ticket, “The Doors of Fate”.


JEROME

This better not be a waste of time.


Jerome shakes his head and walks over to the parking lot.


INTR-TUCKER’S HOUSE-LATE IN THE AFTERNOON


Focus in on a young, chubby seventeen year old eating a bag of chips while sitting at his computer. Meet Tucker Jackson, who seems like a typical high school nerd with taped glasses and short blonde curly hair.


He looks over at his friend, Oscar, who is staring intently at what is on the screen.


Tucker begins to shrug.




TUCKER

Look bro, I don’t know what’s up. I’ve inspected this email up and down, and I still can’t make sense of it.


OSCAR

Yeah…it definitely is…odd.


Focus in on the email on Tucker’s screen.


Tucker,


I think you need some time to relax. Here, thank me later.


-Your friend


Oscar continues to stare at it, as if looking at it long enough will spontaneously combust an answer.


Tucker grabs another potato chip.


TUCKER

Yeah, I mean, I woke up, logged on, and here was the email. I open it up and the ticket already comes out of my printer. I mean, What the hell?! What if I don’t want to go? I mean, this person seems a little too sure of themselves that I will enjoy this place.


OSCAR

It’s not just you. Nanako got a ticket too, and I did as well. I just don’t understand how so many people I know are all of a sudden getting tickets to a place I’ve never heard of.


TUCKER

Well, maybe someone’s pranking us.


OSCAR

No!


Tucker is thrown off. He notices the pain in Oscar’s expression.


OSCAR

This isn’t a prank!


TUCKER

Okay, okay. It’s all good man, don’t worry.


Oscar moves away from the table to clear his head. He shakes his head and looks around Tucker’s room as if seeing it for the first time. Tucker looks visibly concerned.


TUCKER

Um…you good, man?


Oscar turns around, and tries to look normal.


OSCAR

Yeah…I’m fine.


Oscar steps back over to Tucker.


OSCAR

Can’t you just…look this place up on the internet? See if it’s real.


Tucker throws up his hands in disbelief.


TUCKER

Oh, of course. Why didn’t I think of this before?


As soon as Tucker pulls up a search engine they both hear a loud thump on the door.


Oscar looks back at Tucker, an expression of worry on his face


OSCAR

Are you expecting someone?!


Tucker shrugs and tries to act nonchalant, when in reality; he’s freaking out about twice as much more than Oscar is.


TUCKER

Not that I know of.


Oscar walks over to the door cautiously. The Thumps are strangely rhythmic and get louder with each step to the door.


Oscar closes his eyes, braces himself and yanks the door open to reveal JEROME standing in the rain.


JEROME

Jesus, man! Could you go a little faster, I’m freezing out here!


Oscar looks confused.


OSCAR

How…how did you know I was here?


Jerome looks at Oscar quizzically.


JEROME

I got your text.


OSCAR

I didn’t send you a text.


JEROME

Well, according to this phone you did.


Tucker slams his fists on his laptop table.


TUCKER

God d****t!


JEROME

What the hell are you yelling for!


That moment, his desk light flips off, the fans slowly turn off, and all other lights in the house turn off


TUCKER

The power’s out.


END ACT 2











































ACT 3


INTR-ANGELICA’S HOUSE-NIGHT


Focus in on Angelica pacing back and forth across her room. Carmelita is searching the internet on her laptop while Onyx is sitting lazily on the side of her bead. Angelica stops pacing. She glares at Onyx.


ANGELICA

Do you have nothing to do?


ONYX

Nothing at all.


CARMELITA

I just don’t understand why there isn’t anything about this, anywhere. There is no website, no number, not one single person to contact for more information.


ONYX

I wonder if anyone else has gotten a ticket here.


ANGELICA

Guys, this is obviously a big fake!


Angelica glares at Onyx again.


ANGELICA

And I sincerely hope YOU’RE not the one pranking me!


ONYX

Trust me; I wouldn’t prank you with a stupid ticket.


Onyx sits up.


ONYX

Besides, why is there nothing about it on the internet? I’m sure people have been tricked before. Or even if they weren’t, they would probably say something like, “watch out for the ticket that goes nowhere!”


CARMELITA

I’m sure there is something on the corner of the internet somewhere.


ONYX

Where’s my mysterious ticket?


Angelica stops pacing and looks in disbelief at Onyx.


ANGELICA

You WANT one?!


ONYX

Don’t get your panties in a knot. It’s not like you have anywhere to go. It’s just a ticket. I mean is there even an address on that ticket?


Angelica reaches into her jeans pocket and pulls out the ticket. She skims the front and back of it.


ANGELICA

Um…no.


Carmelita closes the laptop.


CARMELITA

Then, great, we don’t need to look for it anymore.

Someone was clearly practicing their… artwork, or… something.


ANGELICA

On a f*****g ticket?!


CARMELITA

Calm down. I’ll ask about it, okay?


ANGELICA

Ask who?!


CARMELITA

Maybe… one of our other friends may have gotten a ticket, or has been there before.


ANGELICA

Whatever. No matter what, I’m not leaving my house this weekend, and this place isn’t going to stop me.


INTR-TUCKER’S HOUSE-NIGHT


A candle is lit in the darkness. A hand pulls it up to a face we know as Oscar’s. He sets it down on the table.


OSCAR

I’m worried, guys.


TUCKER

The ticket won’t kill us in the dark, Oscar.


OSCAR

That’s not what I’m worried about.


Oscar stares intently at the candle for a few seconds.


TUCKER

Okay, so what are you-


The three guys hear a series of thumps on the roof. Tucker looks up.


TUCKER

Is that what you’re worried about?


OSCAR

Is there anyone else coming here, Jerome?


JEROME

How the hell am I supposed to know? I just got a text supposedly from you that said you needed me here!


Tucker shakes his head in exasperation.


TUCKER

This so f*****g sucks. Why did this have to happen at MY house?!


OSCAR

Sorry.


Oscar takes a deep breath and exhales.


OSCAR

Regardless, I think someone is going to have to check outside to see if the fuse box is all right.


TUCKER

What?! No! Let’s just wait it out. I’m sure that all of this is just a power outage.


JEROME

Oh, really?


Jerome gets up and walks over to the windows, where he peaks outside.


JEROME

Then why are the streetlamps still on?


Tucker gulps, and Jerome smirks at his reaction.


JEROME

Tucker, chill out, man. I know how to handle myself in a fight if I need to. I’ll go see what’s going on outside.


Oscar stands up.


OSCAR

I’ll go with you. You know, in case you need help.


TUCKER

Whoa, whoa, whoa. I am NOT staying here on my own.


JEROME

It’ll be just a few seconds, you big baby. We’ll be back before you know it.


Jerome leads in front as he opens the backdoor and steps out into the night. Oscar lingers behind for a few seconds.


OSCAR

We’ll…be back soon, Tucker


TUCKER

You better be.


Oscar gives his best reassuring smile as he steps out of the door. Jerome is already checking the fuse box as Oscar steps outside.


JEROME

Well, this explains the light problem.


Jerome points to the fuse box.


OSCAR

What’s wrong with it?


JEROME

You tell me. All the wires were cut. Something must have seriously messed with this to the point where there is no power in the house at all.


OSCAR

Is there any way that we can fix it?


JEROME

Um…how about…hell no?


OSCAR

Wait, so if the fuse box is the problem then why aren’t we getting any service?


JEROME

The only thing I can think of is if the cell tower got jammed or something.


OSCAR

What? But… who would do this?


JEROME

Your guess is as good as mine.


Jerome notices the painful expression on Oscar’s face. He tries to console him.


JEROME

Hey man, look. I know you’re probably really upset about this, and worried, but I promise you, no one is going to hurt you while I’m around.


Oscar looks back at Jerome and tries to smile. It fails and ends up being one of those awkward forced smiles.


OSCAR

Thanks Jerome. Let’s just… head back inside, okay?


JEROME

Of course.


The two walk back inside the house.


JEROME

Hey! Tucker! It turns out your fuse box is all messed up. All the wires were cut and there isn’t any power.


There is no response. Oscar walks over to where the candles are lit and finds no one there.


OSCAR

Tucker?! Tucker! Tucker, where are you, man!


JEROME

Hey, Oscar, look!


Jerome nudges Oscar and points to a note on the table. Oscar picks it up quickly.


JEROME

What does it say?


Oscar reads it, then, with a horrified look on his face, he dashes out of the house. Jerome watches him at first, surprised, then dashes after him.


JEROME

Oscar, wait up! What the hell is going on!


As the two leave, we get a good look at the note on Tucker’s coffee table.


WANT TO KNOW WHERE YOUR FRIEND IS, OR BETTER YET, WHAT THE DOORS OF FATE ARE? DON’T WORRY, JUST HOP IN YOUR CAR, AND YOU’LL FIND IT. FATE ALWAYS LEADS YOU TO WHERE YOU NEED TO GO!


-YOUR FRIEND


EXTR-THE SIDEWALK OF A NEIGHBORHOOD-NIGHT


Onyx and Carmelita are walking home after their strange encounter at Angelica’s house. Onyx ponders to himself for a moment as Carmelita frequently steals glances at him. She wants to say something, but doesn’t quite know how. Finally, she speaks up.


CARMELITA

Onyx…


Onyx continues walking, continuing to ponder.


ONYX

What?


CARMELITA

Do you think Angelica will be all right?


ONYX

Why wouldn’t she be?


CARMELITA

I don’t know, I just-


Onyx stops, suddenly, and motions for Carmelita to stop as well.


ONYX

Look.


Onyx points to a blue ticket attached to a fishing hook attached to a line connected to a rod high up in a tree.


ONYX

Someone’s messing with us.


Carmelita, with a look that says “I’ve just about had enough of this” moves over and yanks the ticket off of the hook. She holds it up like a trophy.


CARMELITA

Well, now look who’s laughing?


Onyx looks unamused.


ONYX

Still whoever is messing with us.


Carmelita stops and looks somewhat concerned for Onyx.


CARMELITA

Onyx, what’s wrong? You seemed pretty shaken up after the whole deal with Angelica.


Onyx stares at the moon in the sky for a few seconds, then looks back at Carmelita


ONYX

You’ve never seen someone die, Carmelita. It can be a very…traumatizing experience


After saying that, Onyx walks off towards his house alone with Carmelita looking concerned and confused after him.


INTR-ELEMIA’S HOUSE, BASEMENT-NIGHT


Focus in on Elemia who is playing an electric guitar. The sounds that she makes are clearly made from a skilled musician. Elemia strums rhythmically and defines each and every note perfectly. It is obvious that she is the most comfortable with music around her. As Elemia finds herself getting immersed in her music, suddenly it cuts out, and the electric guitar she is playing makes little sound. She turns over and sees that the amp is unplugged.


ELEMIA

Hmm, that’s odd.


Elemia walks over to the amp and plugs it back in. Little does she know an enormous shadow looms over her back. She turns around and the shadow vanishes. Nevertheless she felt something around her. She looks around and the only thing she can spot is a single ticket lying in the middle of the floor. Silently, Elemia moves over and picks up the ticket. THE DOORS OF FATE is written on the ticket.


ELEMIA

Interesting.


Elemia stuffs the ticket in her pocket and continues to play her guitar.


4B. ELEMIA’S HOUSE, DRIVEWAY-NIGHT


The night seems completely normal with the exception of one dark figure standing alone, watching Elemia’s house silently. The figure leaves, moving effortlessly like a flickering shadow.


INTR-ONYX’S ROOM-NIGHT


Onyx sits in his room solemnly when he notices a piece of paper on his desk. He stares at it, wondering if he should dare to look at it or not. Finally, after better judgement, Onyx gets up and reaches for the letter. He reads it, and then Onyx sets it back down and sits back down on his bed, clutching his head. He starts rehearsing his speech at the auditorium.


ONYX

People lie to you about fear, you know…everybody…everybody…is…the same. Everybody…is the same…everybody…everybody.


Onyx takes one more look at the letter from his position on his bed. He looks at it with disdain, almost as if he could foresee what was going to happen next.


ONYX

I don’t…I don’t know what is going to happen…and that…like everybody else…scares me.


Focus on the piece of paper, a letter for Onyx


ONYX,


DO YOU KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN NEXT? DO YOU? I DON’T THINK YOU DO. DOES THAT MAKE YOU SCARED? OH AND BY THE WAY, HERE IS YOUR TICKET.


-YOUR FRIEND


Focus on the before unseen but now clearly apparent blue ticket lying next to the piece of paper. On the front of the ticket are the words THE DOORS OF FATE.


Onyx walks over to the desk and grabs the ticket forcefully. He tears the ticket in half, then into smaller bits, and dumps it into the trash.


ONYX

I will not give into fear. I will not…give into this!


Onyx slams his hands on the table and falls to his knees, with a hopeless expression on his face. It’s almost like he knew that ripping up the ticket did about as much good as spitting at a tornado.


END ACT 3









ACT 4


INTR-KEN’S HOUSE, DRIVEWAY-SUNRISE


Focus in on Ken, who is on the phone with his girlfriend Jane. They are clearly discussing what they believe is the “Vacation Resort”. Ken is about to enter his car and Jane is on the other line, packing for what she believes will be a relaxing trip.


JANE

Honey, do you even know where this place is?


KEN

You know for some reason, I don’t need a GPS. I know exactly where this place is. I must drive by it all of the time or something, because it is just so clear in my mind right now, you know?


JANE

I guess, babe. Wait a minute, you know, I think I know where it is too.


Ken Laughs


KEN

Oh yeah? So, do you want me to pick you up or…?


JANE

No way, I have way too much stuff for your car


KEN

Okay, that’s cool… perfectly… fine


Jane can detect the sadness in Ken’s voice and tries to reassure him


JANE

Babe, don’t worry, we’ll be in the resort soon enough. Then we can be together for as long as you want.


Ken laughs, and then shakes his head.


KEN

It’s not that babe.


JANE

Then, what is it? Are you not looking forward to this?


KEN

What?! Babe, of course I’m looking forward to this. I just…I was a huge jerk the other day, and I’m really sorry. I treated you like you were…like you weren’t even a person. I…don’t want to be that guy. I want to be a person that…no THE person that you deserve.


Jane can’t help but smile at his cleverly crafted speech.


JANE

Honey, you know I can’t stay mad at you. And, I forgive you. You’re the guy that’s best for me. I hope you know that.


Ken smiles; because that is the only thing he wanted to hear from Jane


KEN

Jane… thank you


JANE

No problem, babe. See you at the resort.



2. OSCAR’S CAR-SUNRISE


Oscar is driving quickly down the road with Jerome in the passenger seat. The two are silent for a few seconds until Jerome breaks the ice.


JEROME

Oscar, we need to head to the police.


Oscar shakes his head angrily. Tears are almost about to stream down his cheeks.


OSCAR

We can’t! They would probably blame me for the whole thing! They would think that I did it!


JEROME

Oscar, that’s not-


Oscar slams on the breaks and slams his fist on the steering wheel.

OSCAR

Don’t you get it?!


JEROME

Oscar come on, what are you-


OSCAR

You don’t understand!


Now full tears were streaming down Oscar’s face.


OSCAR

You don’t understand what I have to go through! My life is nothing to them! The police don’t trust me! They just think of me as just another basket case!


Jerome stares at Oscar in disbelief. Oscar calms down slowly.


OSCAR

That’s why… that’s why we can’t go to the police. They’ll… they won’t understand, Jerome, they just won’t.


Jerome puts a hand on Oscar’s shoulder.


JEROME

Oscar…you have no idea how many times I’ve wished for you to be happy, to live a content life like everybody else.


Jerome rubs his eyes as if to try to show Oscar that he isn’t getting emotional.


JEROME

You mean a lot to me, Oscar. You may not be normal, but who is? You’re my best damn friend in the whole world! And God help me if I’m gonna let some psycho path get between me and you now!


Oscar smiles and laughs


OSCAR

Damn Right.


JEROME

Well, what the hell are we waiting for? Let’s go, man! Let’s find Tucker!


Oscar nods his head and wipes away his tears.


OSCAR

Right, let’s go.


Oscar puts his foot on the gas pedal and drives confidently back on the road.


INTR-ELEMIA’S CAR-MORNING


Elemia is driving down the highway, likely toward THE DOORS OF FATE. She has a calm expression on her face as she drives, listening to her favorite song on the radio.


EXTR-ONYX’S HOUSE-MORNING


Carmelita is banging on the front door of Onyx’s house.


CARMELITA

Onyx! Onyx, are you in there?!


Carmelita realizes this is a hopeless effort and thinks of the only other place Onyx could be. Carmelita hops on her bike and rides straight in the direction of THE DOORS OF FATE.


CARMELITA

I don’t care what kind of doors these are, they won’t stop me from seeing my friend.


INTR-ANGELICA’S HOUSE-MORNING


Angelica walks over to the refrigerator and then opens it to find there is no milk. She sighs with frustration.


ANGELICA

Mom! There isn’t any milk left!


Angelica looks upstairs to see if her mother s there.


ANGELICA

Mom! Are you there?!


Angelica curses under her breath.


ANGELICA

I guess in these days you have to supply yourself with your own milk. No big deal, I’ll just head to the grocery store myself.


Angelica grabs her purse and her keys then opens the door. She looks back into her house, because for some reason she gets an eerie feeling that she will never see it again.


ANGELICA

Goodbye, mom! If you can hear me, I’m going to the store! If you need anything just text me, okay!?


And with that last sentence, Angelica left her house.


EXTR-NATURE CLEARING-MORNING


Nanako is standing alone looking at nature, feeling an emptiness inside of her that she can’t quite understand. Onyx, without her knowing slowly steps next to her.


ONYX

Unbelievable isn’t it.


Nanako looks over at him disgustedly.


NANAKO

What do YOU want?


ONYX

Nothing, nothing at all.


For the first time, Onyx was telling the complete truth.


ONYX

I just want to enjoy a view like this one more time before it goes away completely.


NANAKO

It won’t go away.


Onyx confusedly looks at Nanako.


ONYX

Oh? Why is that?


Nanako glares at him and then points to her head.


NANAKO

Because it will always exist in here, and no one, especially you will ever take that away from me.


ONYX

I knew you disliked me but… I didn’t think you hated me.


NANAKO

I don’t hate anyone.


ONYX

Could’ve fooled me


Nanako watches the clearing for a few more seconds then turns to Onyx quickly.


NANAKO

How do you do it, huh?


Onyx turns to her.


ONYX

How do I do what?


NANAKO

You don’t care about anything. Nothing fazes you. It’s almost like you know everything that’s going to happen and you’ve seen it all before.


Onyx stares at the scenery for a few seconds.


ONYX

I don’t know everything. Trust me.


And with those last words, Onyx nonchalantly turns around and leaves Nanako to stare at the greenery by herself. As Onyx leaves Nanako takes the familiar blue ticket out of her pocket and clenches it in her hand. As she does this she turns and watches Onyx walk away.


EXTR-SIDEWALK IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE-MORNING


Onyx continues his walk across the sidewalk and notices the scenery change rather quickly as he walks. He feels slightly tired and stops for a minute. He forces his eyes closed to try to regain some stamina.


EXTR-THE DOORS OF FATE-MORNING


As he opens them again he sees the biggest mansion he has ever seen. He looks over and views the sign WELCOME TO THE DOORS OF FATE, PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY. Not long after that Onyx notices Nanako walk up next to him.


NANAKO

This… is unreal.


Two cars pull up to the resort not long after that. Both Ken and Jane get out of their cars. Elemia’s car arrives seconds after, Carmelita’s bike after that, and surprisingly, Angelica’s car. As all of them watch the mansion ahead, only one voice can be heard, Angelica’s.


Angelica’s old run-down volkswagon beetle slowly pulls up to the other cars and slows down gradually until it comes to a complete stop, dead in front of the gates.


ANGELICA

Are you kidding me?! My car breaks down here?! I can’t believe this! Does anyone know how to fix a car! Anyone, at all! I’m waiting?!


During Angelica’s ranting Elemia just stares at the sign, as if it were the most interesting thing she had seen in her whole life. Meanwhile, Ken tugs Jane underneath his arm.


KEN

We made it. We’re here. Are you ready for me to never leave your side, babe?


JANE

Only if you are ready to never leave mine.


They kiss, and as they kiss Carmelita rushes over to Onyx


CARMELITA

I… didn’t know you got your ticket already.


ONYX

It’s okay Carmelita. I really just need time to ponder by myself, alright?


CARMELITA

Of course, whatever you need.


Nanako walks over to the massive double doors that invite them into the resort


NANAKO

Is this…a dream?


Much to Nanako’s surprise, it was Elemia that walked up to her this time. The gates tower above them 2o feet tall and are bright gold, shining in the sun.


ELEMIA

Trust me. This is real. I know when something isn’t.


Angelica begins to kick her car repeatedly until another car comes racing down from the other direction forcing everyone to clear it a path. It screeches to a halt and both Oscar and Jerome leap out of the car with a purpose. Both are surprised to see everyone there. Oscar looks like he is about to say something until a muffled yell is heard from inside Oscar’s trunk. Jerome acts first.


JEROME

Christ! Don’t tell me that’s…


Jerome opens the trunk to reveal a tied up Tucker with Duct Tape over his mouth. Jerome rips the tape off of his mouth.


TUCKER

Holy Jesus! It’s about time! Care to untie me?


Jerome, still with a confused look on his face unties Tucker and helps him out of the trunk. Oscar looks incredibly confused.


OSCAR

I don’t… but how… we were looking for you and…


Tucker waves away Oscar’s surprise.


TUCKER

It’s fine. Trust me. I mean, it isn’t fine, but I knew you guys would find me. You’re pretty loyal, almost like super heroes.


Jerome looks annoyed.


JEROME

Explain.


Even Angelica stops beating her car to observe the scene unfolding in front of them.


ANGELICA

Yeah, I think we would all like an explanation.


Tucker looks at everyone, and then shrugs.


TUCKER

What can I say; one minute I was enjoying the candlelight with my buds. The next minute, I was in the trunk of Oscar’s car.


Ken moves over to Tucker and puts an arm around him.


KEN

Guys, I think the important thing here is that we’re all safe, and ready to enjoy a killer vacation. I mean what a coincidence! The ten of us!? All together in a resort! It’s gonna be a blast! Come on, who’s with me?!


Angelica rolls her eyes.


ANGELICA

Fine, whatever.


Jane grabs Ken’s arm affectionately.


JANE

You know I’m in.


ELEMIA

Me too. I already packed and I really don’t feel like going back.


Tucker stands next to Elemia.


TUCKER

Man, lazy much? But, I do agree, I’m actually pretty excited.


Oscar looks up and tries his best to smile.


OSCAR

Sure, I’m in.


JEROME

Then I’m definitely coming.


Carmelita nudges Onyx.


CARMELITA

I think we’re supposed to say something.


ONYX

Fine, let’s go.


Oscar notices Nanako timidly holding onto her arm, saying nothing.


OSCAR

Nanako, what about you? Do you want to go?


She looks up and tries to smile.


NANAKO

Um, why not? Sure.


KEN

Great! I have a feeling this will be an unforgettable weekend.


ONYX

Yeah, it certainly will be something to remember.


Onyx stares into the sky and then once more at the large mansion in the distance.


END ACT 4






























ACT 5


EXTR-THE PATH TO THE MANSION-BEFORE NOON


The ten friends begin walking the path to the house in the distance. Each of them has a different look on their face. Some look confused, others look content and happy, almost carefree. Onyx walks beside Carmelita, while Nanako walks keeping  a little bit of distance between her and  Ken and Jane. Tucker is walking beside Elemia and Angelica, while Oscar is walking with Jerome. Onyx speaks up to Carmelita


ONYX

Why did you think I needed saving?


CARMELITA

I didn’t think you needed saving, I just thought you might’ve been doing something stupid.


ONYX

Oh come on, when do I ever do anything stupid?


CARMELITA

You do stupid things all of the time.



Carmelita points her finger at Onyx, as if she just figured something out.


CARMELITA

What about when you angered that big wrestler guy by saying his sport was gay?


ONYX

Come on, it’s men aggressively hugging other men, how could it not be?


CARMELITA

The point is…he wasn’t too happy was he?


ONYX

Hmm… guess not


CARMELITA

And by the way, I’m sure it takes a lot of skill to wrestle. I mean, the conditioning they go through isn’t a cakewalk you know.


Onyx lets out a short laugh, almost as if he is forgetting the strange house and resort before them. He returns to the reality of the situation.


ONYX

What do you think is going to happen here?


CARMELITA

I’m not quite sure, to be honest. The view is kind of nice but…


ONYX

You honestly believe that this is a vacation resort.


Carmelita thinks for a few seconds.


CARMELITA

It may be strange and somewhat…unique but…I think it’s still a resort, yes.


Onyx shakes his head in disbelief.


CARMELITA

Look, let’s try not to worry about this, okay? I’ve had enough stress on my plate for a while and I’m looking forward to blow off some steam.


Move over to Ken and Jane who are walking hand in hand to the mansion together.


JANE

It isn’t quite what I imagined it to be, but it still provides a relaxing atmosphere, don’t you think, babe?


KEN

Yeah, it’s nice. I’m glad to be here with you


They smile at each other. In that smile, Jane notices Nanako shyly walking alone.


JANE

Hey babe, can you move ahead, I have to talk to Nanako about something.


Ken looks kind of confused but shrugs it off.


KEN

Uh…sure babe, whatever you need.


They kiss as Jane walks over to Nanako.


JANE

Nanako, I need to speak with you.


NANAKO

Um…sure. If this is about the kiss, it’s perfectly-


JANE

This isn’t about the kiss, Nanako. Moreover, this is about something much, much more.


Nanako looks uncomfortable as Jane stares at her with a very observant expression. She smiles, but something about that smile seems odd and fake to Nanako.


JANE

I know you have a crush on Ken.


Nanako stares at her in shock for a few seconds. How could she know?


NANAKO

No, I swear, I’m not interested I-


JANE

No, honey, it’s fine. I just need you to stay away from him okay. We all know what hearts are capable of, don’t we?


Jane smiles that same smile at Nanako. Nanako feels severe chills down her spine and tries her best to smile back.


NANAKO

I…won’t go near him.


JANE

Good, that’s wonderful.


Jane steps away from Nanako to catch up with her boyfriend, while Nanako feels as defeated as ever.


Move over to Oscar and Jerome who are discussing the oddities of THE DOORS OF FATE.


OSCAR

I just can’t believe that this place can exist anywhere but a dream.


JEROME

Yeah, just…stay close, all right? We’ll make it out of this.


OSCAR

Is it too late to turn back?


JEROME

I think so


Jerome points to the gates that are now closed. They seem bright and inviting, however something seems off about them, almost as if they are fake.


JEROME

It closed us in.


OSCAR

Like rats in a cage, right?


JEROME

We aren’t rats, Oscar. We can leave this place whenever we feel like it. Nothing cages us.


Oscar smiles with a new level of confidence as they head for the mansion.


Move over to Elemia, Angelica, and Tucker. Angelica is mumbling to herself about her car.


ANGELICA

I can’t believe this. My car breaks down in the worst place possible. This place has No service guys! No service! There better be a phone or something in that stupid mansion.


Elemia just shrugs while Tucker aims to mock Angelica.


TUCKER

Hey…come on. A girl like you could use a little time away from her phone!


Angelica glares daggers at Tucker, while Elemia does her best to hide her smile.


ANGELICA

What’s that supposed to mean?!


TUCKER

I mean, you’re always on it, it’s almost like you would rather die than part ways with your phone.


ANGELICA

Tucker, nobody likes you.


Angelica walks away from Tucker as he continues to walk next to Elemia


TUCKER

Man, sick burn. I don’t think I can recover from that one.


ELEMIA

She does have a way of words doesn’t she?


TUCKER

Ha, yeah. You know, I’ve always wondered why you were friends with such a mean person.


ELEMIA

Well, she’s always been there for me, and I’ve always been there for her. That’s just how it is.


TUCKER

Would you…you know…if you had to…give your life if you had to…in order to save hers


Elemia doesn’t hesitate.


ELEMIA

Yes.


TUCKER

What?! But…I doubt she would do the same for you!


Elemia stares off at the mansion.


ELEMIA

It doesn’t matter.  That’s just the way it is.


TUCKER

I guess…but if you ask me, you should invest in better friends.


As everyone gets to the mansion they take in the mysterious aura about it.


CARMELITA

This place is so…I don’t know. I can’t quite put my finger it.


Ken rushes ahead.


KEN

Well, what are we waiting for! Let’s get this party started!


INTR-DINING ROOM-BEFORE NOON


Ken is checking out the table and wall decorations.


KEN

Wow! Check this out! This table is spotless! And look…ten chairs! Perfect for each of us!


JANE

Of course babe, it’s practically a dream.


INTR-CARMELITA’S ROOM-BEFORE NOON


Carmelita and Angelica are observing the room they will be sharing.


ANGELICA

Seriously? Now would be a good time to say, I didn’t bring any extra clothes on me.


CARMELITA

Eh, that’s fine. Look outside. There’s a town not far from here. If you want we can go find some clothes there.


Angelica looks out the window to where the town supposedly is


ANGELICA

Where the f**k is everybody?


CARMELITA

Maybe they’re all sleeping.


ANGELICA

Yeah, right. I bet you that town is abandoned, honey.


Angelica goes to lie down on her bed.


ANGELICA

I call bottom bed.


CARMELITA

Fine by me, I was gonna call top bunk.


Carmelita looks off out the window to see if anyone is out there. As she is looking both her and Angelica hear a scream. They look at each other, in panic.


CARMELITA

That sounded like-


ANGELICA

Elemia!


Angelica races out the door with Carmelita right behind her.


INTR-THE MANSION-BEFORE NOON


As they reach the source of the screaming Angelica covers her mouth.


ANGELICA

Oh my god. This is bad.


Slowly all of the others arrive to where the scream originated. Elemia is the first to speak.


ELEMIA

Someone was murdered here!


Everyone looks horrified as we now see the girl from the TEASER her decapitated body lying in a closet.


Pan over everyone’s faces as they react in either fear or shock.

Oscar, then Jerome, Onyx, Carmelita, Nanako, Angelica, Elemia, Tucker, Ken, then Jane.


END ACT 5









TAG


INTR-ROOM IN THE DOORS OF FATE-NOON


Show a room with several eerie qualities about it. There are several jars of unknown things inside of them, most likely eyeballs and possibly other body parts. A dark figure sits on a chair and watches a screen of the ten kids with status signs on all of them. The status signs declare that they are alive and well for each kid. The dark figure switches the camera onto the ten kids outside of the mansion. The figure leans back and puts up a sign over the computer that says: Let the Fun Begin.



 

© 2016 Sean


Author's Note

Sean
Hey guys, if you're reading this, thank you so much for taking the time to read my work. I have edited some of this using my very helpful reviews. That being said, I would like to hear feedback on what you liked and on what I could improve on. (My war on error 001 has come to an end for now, and I can finally publish this.)

My Review

Would you like to review this Screenplay?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The formatting wasn't a problem.

Plotting was good and I enjoyed the way you introduced the characters.

However, I think you need to concentrate on making this more formal and less chatty. I do realise that writers have different styles and some of the most successful writers break rules and buck trends. But they can do that because they are good (very very good) and they have established themselves enough that people make the effort to read their work.

So the very first line. 'The scene begins with a girl running in a dark' It is the first line so obviously the scene begins like that. So lose 'the scene begins with'

Try to keep your descriptions to what can actually be seen or can be imagined. I can't imagine what someone who gets straight 'A's looks like.

These may sound harsh but they are tiny points of technique that you can iron out with a re-write.

Sadly writing is re-writing

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

The formatting wasn't a problem.

Plotting was good and I enjoyed the way you introduced the characters.

However, I think you need to concentrate on making this more formal and less chatty. I do realise that writers have different styles and some of the most successful writers break rules and buck trends. But they can do that because they are good (very very good) and they have established themselves enough that people make the effort to read their work.

So the very first line. 'The scene begins with a girl running in a dark' It is the first line so obviously the scene begins like that. So lose 'the scene begins with'

Try to keep your descriptions to what can actually be seen or can be imagined. I can't imagine what someone who gets straight 'A's looks like.

These may sound harsh but they are tiny points of technique that you can iron out with a re-write.

Sadly writing is re-writing

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

179 Views
1 Review
Added on June 29, 2016
Last Updated on July 15, 2016
Tags: Horror, Mystery, Teenagers, Suspense, Relationships, Fear, Fiction, Drama, Episodic, Monsters

Author

Sean
Sean

Chandler, AZ



About
Hello, fellow writers, allow me to take this opportunity to tell you all about myself. I am a huge fan of NSYNC, I love to sing, and play guitar and cello. I am a terrible dancer, but I've been play.. more..

Writing