The Hunted Hunter

The Hunted Hunter

A Story by Starrweaver
"

This is a Flash Fiction I did as a challenge. Hope to get some feedback on it.

"
Welcome my dears, it's so nice to have visitors. Not many travelers pass this way... come and rest a spell. I've just the thing to make the time go by a bit faster. I'll tell you a tale, I'm sure you'll enjoy it... Now let's see, ah here we are, this one will do nicely...


The Hunted Hunter

Drew Hunter lived up to his name. His trophies were many and reputation was known far and wide. He'd learned to shoot at the young age of eleven and provided most of the meat his family ate by the time he was thirteen. So it was no surprise the small town of Haycroft asked for his help. He'd never been in the vast wilds of Lindshire before, but the townsfolk promised him a large fee. That alone had got his attention, but the job was intriguing as well.  They asked if he could track and take down a bear which had been tormenting them of late. It seemed a simple task, nothing he'd not done a dozen times before.

"Don't underestimate the creature sir," a young man told him when he showed up at the town hall of Haycroft.

"That bear's clever Mr. He's avoided all the traps we've put out to catch him." a boy added. "And we've put hundreds of 'em out there"

"It wasn't easy to call in outside help, but I reckoned we needed it this time." Mayor Thorn told him. "I hope you're as good as I've heard."

"I'm one of the best hunter out there, of that I'm sure." Drew headed out early the next morning  as the mist was just beginning to fade away. Several watched him leave, wondering if he'd be coming back again.

                                                                          ****

As he wandered along, looking for traces of the bear, he noticed there was an abundance of berries, rotted logs with fat grubs, even a stream looked deep enough to have a fair amount of fish. It didn't make sense for a  bear to be coming close to the town.

Heading up into the upper tree line, Drew started to feel as if eyes were watching him. He couldn't say how he knew it. But all his years of experience, he'd learned to sense things. Like when something was stalking him.

"Something's following me... my hairs standing up." he muttered to himself. "But what could it be? It couldn't be the bear? Could it? But a bear doesn't act like that... normally."

Coming to an area with denser underbrush, Drew made his way through to a deer path that went between a couple of trees. There were black berry bushes on one side and a rocky incline on the other.

"Maybe it's up there in a cave... " Drew headed towards the rocks slowly.

Without any warning, a pair of large furry limbs seized him! The body was large and heavy as it slammed into him. Unprepared for the attack, he'd lost his grip on his rifle and it tumbled down to the ground out of sight.

'It's so big! And a lot stronger than me!' his thoughts raced, as he struggled to get free. 'Maybe I can startle  it, then try to get away.'

Drew gave a yell, and one of the arms loosened it's grip on him. Drew tried to slip away, but he felt a sharp pain at the nape of his neck. His legs collapsed under him as he fell to the ground. It didn't take long for him to realize he was paralyzed.

'What the heck was that? A bear can't do that! What is that thing?' Drew didn't know what to do. He watched the large shaggy beast come closer. 'What's it going to do now?'

The beast reached down and picked him up, putting him over its shoulder with little effort. All he could see was a dense thick fur and the ground below. 'I'm well over two hundred pounds and this beast carries me as if I'm a small child.'

Wordlessly, the shaggy creature climbed higher into the rocky area. As it entered a cave, Drew noticed as he could see the change from where he was hanging.

'Oh no, it must be taking me into its den. I've got to figure a way to escape!' But down, down it goes, as the light fades away. Soon the darkness is complete. Drew feels like a blind man, he can see nothing. But still the creature moves ever downward.

'Can't see a thing... it's dark as a pit? How can it see? Must see in a different spectrum. Could this be  a... a big foot?' His thoughts race wildly, from study to fear. 'Where's it going? How deep down are we? How will I get out of here? What's going to happen to me?'

Then abruptly, the darkness was splintered into dancing shadows by an eerie glow ahead. Drew was placed down onto the ground in the middle of a cavern. Something sharp touched his neck again, it felt cold like metal. Then all was still. There was a tingling, like ants crawling under his skin. Feeling was returning and he gritted his teeth against it. Slowly, his body began to respond as he tried to move it. It was stiff and painful, but he needed to get the blood flowing again to fully recover.

There was movement ahead, at the edge of the odd glowing light, several forms moved forward towards him.

'Welcome brother, you are returned to us at long last.' came a voice inside Drew's head. Looking at them, he noticed there were all furry, but some stood a bit taller, while others were around his height.

"What do you mean? What's this all about? Why did you bring me here?" his voice echoed in the large cavern. The creatures shifted back a bit, they didn't seem pleased by him speaking.

'We are Elyos, we live here beneath the ground in these caves. Long have we dwelled here below. We've been forgotten by those who live on the surface.' Again he heard the voice of one of the beasts in his head.

"How are you talking to me like that?" he asked aloud. He stood up, looking around. Far as he could tell, there was the darkness behind him, the strange light ahead. Drew was confused. 'Animals don't talk, not aloud and not in my head. Never did it before, not sure I like it now.' He felt like he was going crazy. All he could think about was getting out of here and get back to the real world.

'We have no need to speak. Our minds are connected, as we are all connected.' one replied.

'You are one of us, it is why we have brought you here. We have brought you home.' another one told him.

"But I'm not one of you! I've a mother and siblings above... I've got a birth certificate... so I can't be one of you!" Drew noticed as they moved farther away from him as he shouted. They didn't like the noise he was making when he spoke. Only one didn't move back, it was the one who'd brought him down here.

'Many years ago, one was born to us. A mutant. Hairless and small, it was believed it may be ill, so it was taken to the surface. For our safety it was left above to perish.' a voice told him. Drew could feel a sadness from the creature.

'Yes, but you survived... our thoughts are connected. We could sense you had lived, but you traveled far away from here. We could no longer feel your presence after a time.' another spoke to him.

'But we knew you're natural skills would make you a great hunter among the people above. So we chose to wait till you would be grown.' the sad one spoke again.

"Is that why you've been bothering the people above?" Drew asked, though he was sure he'd figured it out.

'Yes, we sent out our scout, he often visits the world above. But he allowed them to see him and did not hide. It was a war of wills with those people. They didn't like being taunted.' one of them began.

'We knew they would believe he was a bear, as we do resemble those great creatures. We knew they would call for a great hunter to come.' the first one added.

"I'm sorry, but you've made a mistake. I'm not the one you're looking for. Many hunters have come. I'm not to only one. Can't you see, I'm not like you!" Drew could feel the differences in the voices. 'That first one, he must be the leader of these creatures. I need to convince him to let me go.' But the leader was stubborn and proud. He shook his large furry head.

'No, we are not wrong! We felt you come to the area, our scout found you. We know it is a shock... but you will learn to accept the truth.' The others made a strange purring sound, it echoed in the vaulted chamber as a deep thrumming. Being sensible wasn't working, so Drew's anger took over.

"No! You can't keep me here! I've a life up there! I've a family! No, I won't stay here!" The idea of being trapped down here, deep underground filled Drew with near panic. He had to get away, he wouldn't give up! He crouched, his hands in fists as he backed slowly away from these creatures.

'We should not have broke the news so abruptly... ' Then he heard the scout's voice, he didn't know how, but he knew it was him. 'He's becoming agitated and frightened.'

'He needs rest. Perhaps then he will be calm enough to accept us.' It was the sad one again.

'Yes, put him to sleep brother and then we will take him inside to his room.' the leader agreed. Then  the scout moved towards Drew, but he was already prepared as he shifted his weight.

"No you don't!" he yelled as loudly as he could. The effect was instant. The others stumbled back towards the odd glow and even the scout was a bit stunned. Drew didn't waste the opportunity, putting his weight behind it, he let loose with a right cross. It landed solidly on the beast's jaw sending him stumbling backwards. Before the others recovered, Drew took off running. Desperation gave his feet wings as he plunged up the path towards the darkness.

Fleeing the eerie glow and the strange beasts, he soon found their thoughts didn't reach him any longer. After a short time, he could no longer run. He was surrounded by the thick blackness again, and groped about blindly. Finding a wall he clung to it, stumbling along, not knowing where he was. Soon he began to sob as the adrenaline burned out. He felt like a small child, lost and alone in here, in the never ending darkness.

'So dark... no light. How will I get out? I can't find my way... I need help. Please, someone... help me.' his thoughts raced about as he continued to inch ahead. Time became meaningless, there was only darkness. Drew remembered his family and distant days of laughter under fair blue skies, it keep him moving. By the sheer desire to reclaim his life above, he made his way ever upwards.

But the body can only take so much, exhausted, he finally stumbled to the ground and wept in frustration. He didn't know if he was any closer to the surface or even how long he'd been wandering in the dark.

                                                                         ****

"Hallo? Someone there?" came a gruff gravel voice from the blackness around him. "Someone there?"

"Over.... here. Please, help me. Please... I got lost." Drew croaked out, his throat feeling rough and dry. The first rush of hope flooding through him.

"Hang on, I'm coming." a dim light came closer, yet it looked like a sun after all the time in the dark. "There you are.. hold on there."

"Thank you.... thank you so much... " he muttered as a strong arm lifted him easily to his feet. Drew found he couldn't stand, but the large guy held onto him. He leaned on him as his rescuer half carried him forward. They took it slow and easy. After a while they came out of a cave overlooking the town below. Drew looked up at the clear night sky. He didn't think he'd ever take for granted being above ground or under the open sky ever again.

"Here you go young fella," the stranger let him down easy on a smooth rock beside a campfire. He got a mug and poured some water out of his canteen. "Have a drink, you're likely dehydrated." Taking the cup, Drew drank it down eagerly. "Hey there, slow down. No need to chug it like that. Here, now take it easy." After the guy refilled the cup, Drew sipped it slower.

His rescuer headed over to start scooping out some food into a bowl, then he handed it to him. It smelled delicious, without caring Drew started to eat it.

"That there's Hunter's stew. What ever I hunt up goes in the pot." He gave a couple of grunts as he stirred the cooking pot over the fire.

"Thanks, it was really good." Drew wanted more, but he didn't want to be rude. He felt grateful to this fellow outdoors man. "I'd have been lost if you hadn't found me. May I know your name?"

"Shucks, it wasn't so much. Come daylight I'm sure you'd have found you're way out." He gave a few grunts again. "I'm called Ned Walker, but my friends call me Bear." his voice was gruff. "Glad to be able to help you out. You're lucky I was in the area."

"What are you doing out here, if you don't mind me asking?" Drew was starting to get an odd feeling. Something familiar tugged at him. But he couldn't figure out what it was yet.

"Town over yonder was looking for someone to help out with a tricky bear. I figured I'd best get over here. Bears are noble beasts, wouldn't want someone blasting it for no reason. I figure some she bear lost a cub or maybe one who isn't well.  Might be an old one, they can get rather grumpy at times. The town's folk may have even caused the mess. Leaving out food like fish or such, ya can't blame a bear going after an easy meal.  I mean, that's what they do mostly, look for food." Ned had filled up the bowl with stew after he got it back from Drew. He watched as the big guy paused long enough to slurp it all down. He gave a satisfied sigh afterwards. Ned grinned at him, then continued on.

"Don't rightly know why, but I felt like I needed to come out here and help the poor thing out. If it's a lost cub, I'll need to find the little rascal fast. There's nothing like a mama bear wanting to find her cub... she can get downright nasty if anyone gets in her way... " Ned stopped and gave a few grunts. "Listen to me going on...  sound like a bunch of hens clucking away. I bet you're all tuckered out after all you been through. Hey, why don't you go ahead and get some sleep? My bedroll is right over there."

"I appreciate that, I may just do that." Drew chuckled as he looked over at Ned. "You really like bears a lot. Is that where you got your nickname?" The big guy shook his head grunting a few times. 'Is that how he laughs?' Drew wondered.

"No, not at all. It was on account of how I was found as a baby. See, I was what some folks call a foundling. I must have been lost by my family at some point. Maybe I wandered off or something. But I was taken in by an old she bear. Guess she felt it wasn't right for me to be all alone so young." Ned took out a handful of berries out of a container. "Want some?" Drew shook his head and he continued.

"Don't know how old I was when she took me in. But some farm folks spotted me with her. They told others and soon lots of people knew. Heck, I didn't know about it at the time. But some people who take care of animals came round. They got the she bear to come out of the cave. Then some others went in to find me." Ned grunted a few times. "I wasn't too happy to see them it seems. They told me I was really strong. It took all of them to get me away and the she bear wasn't happy either."

"So where did they take you? It must have been such a difficult time for you." Drew told him as his mind spun. Connections were coming together, he wanted to hear more.

"Well I wasn't happy that's for sure. But those folks took care of wild animals, especially when they get hurt." He took a drink from his canteen. "Once they got a hold of me, they had to put me into their truck. The she bear was calling for me, but I couldn't get out. I called and called till I couldn't anymore."

"What happened to the she bear?" Drew asked as he held out his cup for a refill. Ned filled it.

"I was so upset I refused to eat. So they knew they had to catch the she bear and bring her to me. So they did. Wasn't really that hard. She was old, half blind and was missing some teeth too. They couldn't believe how she thought I was her cub. Since they were nice enough to keep us together, I decided to try and learn some things from them." Ned grunted again. "I miss the old gal, she passed on a quite a few years back."

"But how did you become as you are? And a hunter too? I mean, isn't it strange you'd hunt animals when you were saved and partly raised by a bear?" Drew took a drink as he watched Ned.

"Well, it may seem so, but I learned a whole lot from those folks. The main bunch were real smart. They read and studied all kinds of stuff. They knew so many things about the animals and they really cared too." He finished off the canteen's water. "I don't really eat much meat. But I do love fish and berries too. Plus nothing is as soothing as warm milk with a bit of honey." he grunted several times quickly. "But those other folks, the people at the center some of them ate meat.  Then there were a lot of the critters they took care of that needed meat. So once I'd got some learning, I tried to helped them out. I'd go out to hunt for it. Though they had to patch me up a few times afterwards." he grunted again. "That's when they gave me this here rifle. Seems that hunting with just a knife wasn't the only way to do it."

"So what happened to those people at the center? Where was it?" Drew asked as he tried to make up his mind about what to do.

"The center's over in Brinsfield, it's just north of Lindshire. There's even more folks over there now, it's gotten  a lot bigger. The people who were good to me and my old Ma, even if she was a bear, some of them are still around. But some are old now, a few are gone... I miss them." Ned was quiet for a while.

'It's him. I'll bet he's the one those beasts below were looking for... but I need to be sure' Drew recalled  how sad the one creature had been. What if she had been the mother of the mutant. Her voice had seemed sorrowful, how terrible she must have felt having her child abandoned on the surface. No wonder she'd been so desperate for him to be the one. 'I have to be positive though, besides, I don't want them looking  for someone else to grab to take down there.'

"You know, I'd thought I heard a bear in a cave. It's why I'd been in there, I'd been tracking it. See, I was a hunter called in by the town too. But I stumbled over something and lost my light. I can't really recall what happened to my gun or the bag I had. After a while I was more interested in getting out than finding the bear." This got Ned's attention.

"Well, that explains a lot there fella. I appreciate you telling me." He started to gather up some of his things. "You go ahead and get some sleep there. I'll head back in and see if I can find it. Poor thing might have gotten lost in there too."

"This isn't the cave I went into, so it must be a huge maze in there." Drew watched Ned, trying to imagine him with thick fur and realized he was about the right size too. He did look a bit similar to a bear, the shape of his head and the gruff gravely voice. But how could he be completely positive this big guy who saved him wasn't really a man. Then Ned stood up, putting his rifle into a holder on his back, he turned around towards Drew...

Then he saw it, when Ned's eyes caught the firelight... just like an animal, they reflected the light back! A human eye didn't do that... Feeling he was doing the right thing, he held out his hand.

"I hope you find the bear down there. But it could take a while... " Ned leaned down to clasp his hand.

"I hope so too. I'd hate the poor critter to be lost and alone down there. Don't you worry none, I'll find it." Then Ned stood with an odd little smile, he glanced out over the forest and town below for a moment.

"Something wrong Ned?" He heard a deep sigh come from the big guy.

"You know, it's been really strange. Ever since I got here, this place, it seems so familiar. Mostly since I don't recall ever being around here before. Yet I can't deny it... it feels like I've come home." he turned back to look at Drew. "Well, you rest easy young fella and I'll try to be back in the morning." Then he lumbered off towards the cave. Drew was fairly sure, he wouldn't be back.

As tired as he was, instead of sleeping, he took the bedroll and wrapped it around himself, then sat on the far side of the fire, his back against a large half buried boulder. There were a few times he dozed off, but eventually dawn came creeping across the sky. Though it arrived sooner than he'd expected it. He warmed up the stew in the pot by stirring up the embers. Then scraping it out he had the last of it for breakfast as he waited. As the sun rose up, he started to pack the camping gear Ned had left behind. Strangely, he felt a little concerned about him, even knowing he wasn't really human. He still felt he owed him for saving him from the cave. Drew figured he'd wait till a bit before noon, then he'd head back to town.

It was almost time to go when Drew heard a movement behind him... but it wasn't Ned... it was one of them, it was the scout.

'Please, don't run. I am here to give an apology. We were wrong. You are not one of us. We are sorry we frightened you.' Drew could feel the guilt in it's voice. He also saw in the sunlight how the fur shown a reddish brown.

'No wonder the folks here thought it was a bear.' he mused, the likeness was very close.

'I do not understand, but I'm happy you found and sent our missing brother down to us. You repay our foolishness with kindness.' The scout took a large leather bag it was holding and set it onto the ground.  Drew could feel its confusion. 'Please accept a gift from us. The one you know as Bear said you would like these. He said you may have his things he left with you. As for us, we no longer have a reason to bother the people of the surface here.' Then he walked away, back towards the cave.

Drew was a little anxious, but eventually his curiosity got the better of him. 'What in the world would Ned send me as a gift?' Opening the leather bag, he was surprised to find rocks, lots of them of various sizes and shapes. He laughed. Then he picked up a small chunk and held it up. There was a glint of color peeking through. Sighing, he put it back into the bag and tried to pick it up.

"Oh come on... " Drew groaned. What was simple for an Elyos, wasn't so for him. Dragging the bag over to the other gear, he soon had it all settled properly. Grabbing hold of the straps, Drew started pulling the hand cart along down the path he'd notice while he was having breakfast. It was likely the one Ned had used to get up here. With one last glance back he continued on towards town. With luck, he'd make it back in good time to pack up his things and get a ride to the next town. There was a train with his name on it over in Danville not five miles south of Haycroft in the morning. Drew planned to be the first one on board it.

                                                                         ****

"Look! That Hunter guy is back!" a man called out. Soon others came out to watch as he came down the road.

"Did you find that bear Mr. Hunter?" a boy asked him. Drew smiled a little at the lad.

"I sure did. And he was a real smart one too." He walked over to the front of the Town Hall where the Mayor was waiting.

"So where's the body Mr. Hunter?" he asked gravely. Drew shook his head and gave a smile.

"Now according to the notice I responded to, along with several other hunters I believe," he glanced over at the Mayor. "It said you needed help getting rid of a cunning bear that was bothering you. Now I don't recall it saying anything about killing it... now did it?"

"It was implied! How else would you expect to get rid of the beast?" Mayor Thorn blustered.

"Well, since this was a really smart bear, I simply had a little chat with him." Drew enjoyed the way the Mayor's face turned a bit red. "Once I explained things, he said he was sorry. Promised not to bother you folk no more." Some people were getting a bit upset, some kids were laughing, but some, like the Mayor, got hopping mad.

"I hope you don't expect to get the reward after a cockamamie story like that!" The Mayor hollered! Several others agreed with him loudly.

"I'm not interested in your reward. Do what ever you want with it. That bear was rather nice. Even gave me some rocks to apologize for bothering everyone. That's more than enough reward for me." Grinning Drew turned away and headed towards the boarding house. He wanted to hurry and pack his things.

"What a crack pot! What are we going to do about the bear? There's other hunters out there, maybe one of them will get rid of it... " Drew ignored the voices that went on complaining behind him. He pulled the hand cart along, though three children tagged along.

"Isn't that the other hunter's cart?" one little girl said. A boy nodded as they followed along.

"That's his stuff too. Did the bear get him mister?" the second boy asked Drew.

"Do you know what the other hunter's name was?" he said softly. The children shook their heads. "His name was Bear." he parked the cart beside the stairs, but he was a little worried someone may take it. The three children were whispering together.

"I know what bear you talked to mister." the first one grinned. "It was the other hunter." The others laughed.

"Now aren't you the smart ones." Drew told them. "Seems that Bear took care of the other one before I showed up. So he told me to take his things back since he was going to be busy for a while."

"He's gonna make steaks and cure the hide I bet." said the one boy. "That's what my pa does with the deer he gets for us." Drew nodded.

"But mister, how you going to get it over to the train? That other hunter came here from Danville. You did too, didn't you?" the little girl asked.

"That's right. But, I need to get my things packed up, but I don't want anyone running off with Bear's things while I'm gone." All three got excited and said they'd watch the cart.

"Anyone comes around, you make a whole lot of noise so I hear you." Drew smiled as they all nodded.

Quickly as he could he went to his room and gathered up his things. Then he went to the front room where the widow who ran the boarding room was having tea.

"Just wanted to let you know I'll be heading out Mrs. Bishop. I've come to give you the key." he set the key and a few bills onto the table beside the tray.

"What's this? That's twice what you owe for the room, you didn't even sleep in it last night." she fussed at him. There was color in her cheeks as she took the money.

"I was hoping I could get a slice of that pie you'd mentioned when I arrived. I'll need something to eat on the way back to Danville." She stood up with a smile and followed him out into the foyer where he'd left his things.

"Of course, I'm so glad you mentioned it. No one even wanted any yesterday after dinner." she sighed.

"Would you mind bringing it out to me? I want to pack my things on my hand cart." Drew gathered his bags and opened the door.

The children came over and tried to help him with his bags. Drew knew they wouldn't be much help, but he let them play at it. He was still trying to figure out how he was going to get to the train if he couldn't even get out of town. The mayor wasn't going to have his driver take him back, not after what he had just pulled.

"Here you go dear." Mrs. Bishop brought out a wicker picnic basket. "If your going to go to Danville you're going to want some dinner. The shops there are rather costly." Smiling he took the basket from her and set it on top of the other things piled on the cart.

"Thank you very much, but if I don't find a ride soon, I'm going to have to start walking."

"Oh my, that's not good." The widow clasped her hands. "Now don't you worry about the basket, I'm sure you will get more use out of it. It's time I gave it away anyhow."

"Thank you again, that's very kind of you." Drew looked down as one of the children was tugging on his coat. "Yes, what is it?"

"I can tell my Uncle you need a ride." He smiled at her. "I'll go get him." Then the three children rushed off together.

"If anyone can get you a ride, that young Daisy can." Mrs. Bishop said as she watched them go. "Buck Reed will do anything for that little girl. He's taken care of her ever since her parents passed away in the house fire last year. And his boys won't let nothing hurt her either. Fierce and protective over her they all are." She looked back at Drew. "It was his sister who was Daisy's mother. No stronger bond than that of family."

"Yes, Mrs. Bishop. Family truly is an important part of our lives." He smiled as he watched a large truck come down the road, the three children in the back calling out and waving at him. It was past time for him to head home again and go see his own family.

                                                                       ****

Almost two years later, Drew sat in his study and looked out the window at the field and forest beyond... pausing in his writing for a bit to remember all that had happened since he'd returned...

                                                                       ****

When he'd returned home he'd taken a few stones to a good friend who was a gemologist. As Drew had guessed, they weren't ordinary rocks. Some were raw jewels worth a great deal. Others, as he suspected, were valuable ores like silver, copper and gold. Ned had given him a treasure. He contacted his family, letting his mother know he was in town. Then got an accountant and lawyer to help him liquidate what he had into usable cash.

He let go of his room at the Hunting Lodge and headed out to Vale Wood. He found a ten acre estate with grand forests and a lake. There was a modest manor with a small staff and a cottage by the lake. A small garden offered fresh food just off the kitchen and a small stable and barn. It was just what he was looking for to settle down.

As he arranged for things to be done on the property, he stayed with his elder sister and family. It was the manor he'd grown up in. His room was as he'd left it. Looking over all the treasures collected over time, he felt a connection that felt familiar and yet oddly strange. On a shelf there was an image of his father, he stood with people that were dark skinned. They had feathers and other odd clothing. Some had little on at all he noticed. But his father didn't look out of place, instead he seemed almost comfortable with them. He'd worked as an explorer, discovering so many things. If only he'd discovered what was at home, instead of becoming a hunter later on in life.

A good friend from school dropped by to see his family, delighted to find him there. After catching up, she told him she had a surprise for him.

"You must come tomorrow. I'm going to be leaving tonight for Andreas for at least a month. But there is something for you at my ranchero. Drop in and ask for Vincent, he'll take you to see them. Pick what you wish it's my gift to you after so long apart. You shouldn't be alone so much." Drew agreed and they said goodbye.

The next morning he felt like it was his birthday. He had a quick breakfast, kissed his mother's cheek and hurried out. The Andreas Ranchero wasn't far, but it seemed to take forever. Once he arrived, it wasn't hard to find Vincent.

"Good morning, Mr. Hunter. It's good to see you again." the gentleman met him in the courtyard. "Come, I was left word to take you straight back to the barn." They started to head out a rear archway toward the back of the house.

"I hope it's not a horse, I've just been looking at a pony or two for the children to ride when they visit." Drew was sure he didn't want to fill his stable just yet.

"No good sir, this is a different kind of companion to keep you company." he grinned as he lead the way into a large barn. Drew heard them before he saw them, the deep baritone barks and the yapping of puppies. As they walked further in a huge Pyrenees came trotting out to check them out. He wagged his tail when he spied Vincent, but he kept a keen eye on Drew.

"He's gorgeous, is the mother the same?" When they got around back, there was the mother. She was large also, but with a thick, long coat.

"No, she's a Newfoundland, a gift from her father. The Pyrenees was a gift from her mother. It was fine when they were younger, but... as you can see, the two dogs got on rather too well." Drew chuckled.

"So I can pick one?" he asked excitedly. Vincent nodded.

"You may pick as few or as many as you like. You are to get first pick of the litter. They'll be weaned in about a week or so. Once you make your choice I'll see that you're called when they're ready to go home." He looked at his watch and snapped it closed. "I've got to back to the main house, here. Put these on which ever you wish." He handed several soft blue collars to Drew, then turned to leave.

Drew went over to look into the large pen, there were almost a dozen small wiggling pups. After some time, he finally settled on two. One was a big fluffy boy, his coat was a soft dark gray. He couldn't explain it, but the pup reminded him of Ned. So he put the blue collar carefully on him. Then he chose another boy, this one was a brownish red, with the same long thick fur of the Elyos. After putting the second collar on, he left the pen and walked slowly back to the courtyard. Smiling he couldn't wait for Bear and Elyos to come home with him.

"I've put the collars on two of them. Please tell Amanda that I love her gift." He told Vincent as he came out of the house.

"I shall let her know this evening, she should be calling around dinner time. I'll ring the guard to open the gate for you." He headed back inside the house as Drew went to his car. The driver opened the door so he could get in. As he sat back, it was still hard to imagine that this was what his life had become.

The Hunting Lodge was delighted with his many his trophies when Drew offered them to the grand master for a small sum. He also had his large gun collection sold in auction, which brought in a fair amount. But he did save his father's rifle, and a pair of pistols which had belonged to his Great-Grandfather. Unfortunately, many of his fellow hunter friends were confused by his actions.

"I can't believe you gave up your membership at the Hunting club." one responded.

"Didn't you know, he gave up his room as well." What ever happened to you out there in Lindshire?" another inquired.

"I discovered what was truly important to me." Drew replied. He was visiting in the lounge, two pups lay quietly on his lap as he petted them. It was to be his last visit there. None of the other hunters stopped by to call on him at his home. But Drew didn't really mind, he wasn't like them any longer. He continued to visit with his siblings, attended family outings and gatherings. He found joy in getting to know his young nephews and nieces. His canine companions quickly won over the children, while his honest interest in their lives got him invited back for more events. His mother even came to visited him at his estate.

"I can't believe how much you've changed." Ella his sister told him one afternoon during tea. "I never thought you'd give up hunting."

"Yes, you were so much like your father. A good man, but always chasing after another challenging adventure." his mother said sadly.

"I discovered being with family was far more important to me. I just wish I'd realized it sooner." Drew looked out over the veranda to watch his sibling's children romp about with his quickly growing pups.

Then one night after having his family over for dinner, the women went into the sitting room for dessert. He retired with his brothers to his study for an after dinner brandy.

"You know, I'm glad you've decided to come back." his younger brother Charles told him. "I never really got to know you with you running off all the time."

"I'm sorry for that. I just wish father was still alive." pausing a moment, he added. "But your still not getting any a glass of brandy. You can wait till after your birthday comes." he told him with a laugh. Keith, his older brother joined in, putting his arm around Drew's shoulders.

"Nice try, but he's got your number." he told Charles.

"Spoil sports! It's only six months away, what's the harm?" When they both shook their heads, he dropped down in a chair to sulk.

"It must have been quite a reward you got on your last trip." he said to Drew. "I'm quite impressed with your new home." Keith said with pride. "I'm interested, what are your plans for the future? I've been running a fair trade business. Think you may want to come aboard as an investor?"

"Yes, let's try to tap our dear brother for funds. Not everyone wants to invest in trading Keith." looking over at Drew he added with a grin. "And if I know Belle, she's already been talking to you about finding a wife, am I right?" Drew gave an awkward nod. "If you two don't back off, he's likely to go run off again, just to get some peace." Charles tossed up his hands. "I finally get my brother back, how about letting me enjoy it!"

"I'm not going anywhere little brother, don't worry. As for both a future and a wife, I think there is still time for that yet." he raised his glass and clinked it with Keith's... Charles looked wistfully at them.

"Just wait, I'm going to have myself a glass of brandy on my birthday!" Drew grinned, he'd had an idea.

"How about we have the occasion here at my place. Would you like that?" Charles stood up looking shocked.

"Really? It would be great! There's room for everyone here." Drew grinned. It felt wonderful to make his little brother happy.

Then it will be my first official event. I'm sure the ladies will want to participate. Why not go tell them Charles."

"Belle loves parties! And Mom know all about how to organize them. This will be great!" The young man hurried out to go spread the news. Keith looked at him warmly, then putting down his glass turned to go.

"It's been a wonderful evening, thank you for inviting us. You'll have to come by my place this weekend." As he walked out the door of the study, Drew felt a chill. It wasn't so long ago, when he almost lost everything. He hadn't realized how important they were to him till then... Setting down his glass, he headed out to say good night to his family as they took their leave.

                                                                        ****

Whenever he would go walking on his property, Drew was always accompanied by Bear and Elyos. The young pups were never far from him. He'd chosen their names as a reminder. He never wanted to forget them or what had happened.

A few weeks after the family dinner, he was out for a wandering stroll in the woods. The pups were growing and needed more exercise. As he drew nearer to the area closer to the lake, he felt something disturbing in the woods. There was a familiar feeling of being watched, yet there was a darker, more foreboding feeling along with it. He'd been back almost a year, yet he still had the instincts his hunting days honed.

Then both the young dogs began to growl, then they started to whimper as if frightened. Drew knew they would stay with him despite their fears.

'Friend, please tell your companions I mean no harm. I only wish to thank you for what you did for me.' the voice he heard in his mind was Ned's, though it had lost it's gravely tone.

"Bear, Elyos... easy boys. It's okay, come here. Stay. Good boys." At his words, both of them came to his side. He knelt down to put his arms around each of them as they licked his face, leaning close to him. "Okay, you can come out... but move slowly, don't startle them."

Stepping out from the trees, Ned came slowly towards him, then stopped a few feet away.

'Those are good names. They bear them well. I'm honored you would do this.' Ned's voice was in his head again. Drew noticed Ned looked much the same as he had when he's last saw him. Though his hair was somewhat longer, he was still the same guy. Drew still felt grateful to Ned, the one who'd rescued him from madness in the dark cave. Human or not, he had been there for him.

"I'm glad you're pleased. I never wanted to forget what happened. You saved me that night." He stood, the dogs stayed quietly at his feet. Then Ned grinned, grunted a few times. There was a happiness in Ned that hadn't been there before.

"It is you who saved me, you gave me back to my family. I found the big one you knew as the scout. He is my Uncle, I sent him up to give you a gift that morning. They were afraid I would leave, but to be honest, I didn't want to go back above so soon." his gravely voice felt familiar to Drew.

"After you told me your story, I got to thinking. I'd been a hunter for a long time, always going after the next challenge. But when I was lost, alone and afraid in that cave... When I thought I'd never get out of there, I realized all the things I'd miss. All the things I was already missing... " Ned came closer, slowly as to not startle the dogs.

"It's why I sent the rocks. I knew what they were, though the others didn't. I can see you used them well. This is a fine place to call home." Ned gestured to the forest all around them. "I came to settle my affairs up here, I'm going back home to my people. I don't think I'll be coming back again. I wanted to come and say goodbye to you."

"I'm glad you came. I wish you well in your new life." Drew was looking at Ned, but something was making  his hair stand up on the back of his neck. Then Ned's eyes narrowed, with a roar he moved, far faster than any human ever could. He rushed towards Drew, then brushed past him as he leapt into the bushes behind him.

The two dogs cowered down on the ground shaking and whimpering as the sound of two large animals fighting came from the bushes. Drew crouched down, comforting them. But he was ready to fight whatever was in the bushes. Snarls and growls grew louder as the foliage shook violently. Then there was a cry of a beast in pain, as another roared. Then all was silent and still for a time.

"Ned?" Drew called out softly at first, then again louder. He was worried about his strange friend. Finally the bushes moved and Ned stumbled forward. Drew ran to catch him, trying to hold the big guy up. His clothes were torn and covered in dirt. "Come on, I'll take you to the cottage, it's not far... just this side of the lake."

'So sorry, didn't think I'd been followed.' Ned's words came to his mind. But this time it didn't bother Drew. He realized it would be easier for Ned to speak to him.

After what felt like hours, they finally made it to the cottage. The door wasn't locked since Drew didn't feel the need. Once he got Ned inside and settled on the couch, he looked him over and saw what he'd thought was only dirt, was actually mixed with a fair amount of blood.

"You're hurt! I should ring up the doctor... " But as soon as Drew said it, he knew he couldn't do it. The risk was too great. What would they do if Ned's lineage was revealed. "No, I'll do it myself. Hang in there my friend." Drew went to the bathroom to get the first aid kit, clean towels and bandages. Then he got a pitcher of water from the kitchen. He returned to Ned who was silently waiting on the couch.

'It's not too bad. Vile beast got a few lucky shots on me though. Don't worry, I should be fine.' Ned told him as Drew helped him take off the torn shirt. 'I'm afraid I may need a shirt from you though.' there was a tinge of humor to his voice even through the pain.

"Don't worry about that, you can't go anywhere anyway. Not yet, you can recuperate here till you're healed." Drew began to clean the cuts and torn flesh the best he could. His experience being a hunter had taught him a lot about the field medicine. Tending to wounds, field surgery and even poisons. It was part of the hazard of his  old profession. "What was that thing you attacked, I didn't see it. Though I sensed it just before you attacked."

'Yes. Till that moment I wasn't sure if it wasn't my own paranoia. It has been a while since I've been back above ground. I've been a bit edgy lately. But when I felt you sense it too, I was sure we were both in danger.' Ned flinched as Drew touched a wound on his side. His face was grim as he looked down at Ned.

"I'm going to have to stitch this, it needs to be sealed up or you'll risk infection. You're lucky that thing didn't hit any main arteries." Drew got up and cleared off the large wooden table across the room.

'It wasn't for it's lack of trying.' he paused a moment. 'I'm just a better fighter. I got good at wrestling. I had Ma... she tried to give tongue baths and hugs when I got bigger.' he grunted a little.

Drew got a sheet out of the closet and draped it over the table, pulling the chairs away from one side. 'Even in pain he cracks jokes.' he sighed, wondering at this brave, yet silly man like creature.

"Here, let me help you over. I need you at a better height if I'm to get this closed properly." He helped Ned from the couch to the table. Then left him to go to the kitchen. He was worried, Ned's breathing was a bit heavy and fast.

He returned with a bottle of liquor to disinfect, but Ned had other ideas. He grunted when he saw it.

'That just might help me more than you know friend.' Drew could still feel the pain in his voice. 'When all is done and I'm awake again. I'll tell you what happened out there. You deserve to know the truth about our people.'

Drew handed the open bottle to Ned, then helped him to lay on his side, the big guy chugged down the liquor. Once he lay down, Drew positioned Ned's arm out of the way so he could work. He got out the needle and thread from the first aid kit, getting down to work on Ned. It had been a while since he'd done something like this, but his fingers remembered what to do. For the next half hour, Drew was on autopilot, mending and patching up the damaged flesh of another companion. It was still far too familiar to him he realized. At last he'd finished bandaging the last wound. He got a spare blanket and covered the sleeping form. The empty bottle sat on the chair below Ned's hand.

'He should be out for a while after all that. Nothing to do but wait, so I'd best get things cleaned up. I'll ring up the main house to let Arthur know I'll be spending the night here. I'd best check on the boys and see about getting them settled in for the night too.' With his mind clear on a plan, he went about executing it. It was better than worrying what may be lurking out in the forest with night coming on.

Drew made sure the doors and windows were locked. Then went to reassure his two loyal companions once he found them behind the couch.

"It's fine now boys, no big bad beastie is going to get you. Ned took care of the last one. Don't worry, I'll make sure to take care of any others." There was a grunting coming from the table. "It's not nice to laugh at a friend, big guy." he scolded as he went over to Ned.

'Sorry, I just find the idea of you taking on a Vylor amusing.' Moving slowly, Ned tried to get up. Drew offered him an arm. Ned grabbed a hold. "Whoa... rooms spinning like a roulette wheel." he groaned as he held on. After a few moments, he eased up his grip. Then working together they got him moved from the table back to the couch.

"You sure you wouldn't feel better in the bedroom, I'm worried you'll pull the stitches. Besides I've a bed in loft so you're not putting me out." Ned shook his head.

'In a little while my friend. It feels good to say that, 'my friend'. As you may have guessed, I've not had many of those in my life. I've already said goodbye to the few people at the center who helped raise me. They think I am going abroad. Little lies to protect others, it's not a bad thing.' he sighed. "But you are different, you know my people. Again, I'm sorry for their actions. It was me they were sensing, but they found you first." he said slowly.

"If speaking tires you, it's okay. Really I don't mind." Drew sat down. "You sure you want to talk about this now, it could wait till you've had more rest." Ned grinned.

'No, I'm fine for now. I heal fast and I'm hard to take down. I'm a bit tougher than you are, but I thank you for your concern and kindness.' Drew was touched by the feelings coming through with his words.

"It's the least I can do. Again you've saved me from a danger I didn't even know, and most likely couldn't defeat." He got up and headed towards the kitchen "Besides, it's my turn to be a good host. Just as you were for me at your campsite." Drew went into the kitchen, then brought out a tray with covered dishes on it. He set it on the coffee table, pulling it closer to the couch so Ned could reach easier. Under the first cover was a bowl that smelled delicious. He carefully handed it to Ned.

'Ah, this smells wonderful.' he said as he breathed in the aroma.

"I remembered you liked fish, so it's fish chowder." He took a napkin off a small basket of buns, having one. "These are freshly buttered honey brushed buns and for dessert a bowl of fresh berries in cream." Ned grinned, looking up from his bowl.

'You remembered. Thank you very much.' Drew smiled as his friend, then went back to slurping down the chowder. Drew ate his bun and poured himself a cup of tea as he sat down on the footstool.

"Would you like some tea, milk or water?" he asked. Ned finished the bowl and handed it back.

'It's been a while since I've had milk. It's not something folks expect you to order, especially, when you're a big guy like me.' He grunted a few times. Drew poured him a cup of milk and handed it to him. Then lifting the other lid, he offered a bowl of mixed berries with cream.

"I'm glad to offer you what ever you like. Ask me for anything you need. I wouldn't have all this without your gift." Ned shook his head, but took the offered bowl.

'We are brothers, we've given one another a fresh start, a new life. It is good, we are connected like family.' An odd feeling of peace came over Drew. It was similar to what he felt when he was together with his family. There was a feeling of security, completeness he'd forgotten. He was positive he'd never let it go again. Then he heard a purring, he looked over at Ned. His eyes were half closed and he was contented. The soft rumbling came from him like from an oversized cat. Then it stopped. Ned turned and looked at him... a bit embarrassed. 'Sorry, it's been some weeks since I've felt so at ease.'

"No, don't apologize. It just surprised me, I didn't know you could do that." Ned grunted a few times.

'Neither did I, at first. I learned so much about myself and my people those first few days below.' Then Ned held out the bowl, his manner became more serious. 'I also learned more about the history and why my people had to flee into the caves below.'

For the next hour, Drew listened to his strange companion spin an amazing tale. It was filled with bravery, unity and courage. But then came the betrayal and treachery. Long ago, humans and his people had lived at peace. Together they battled a cunning beast unlike any other. There was an alien feeling about them. Their ability to adapt quickly made them hard to stop. Soon, a wedge was struck between the two people, each becoming suspicious of the other. Trust and unity were lost. The vile beast had divided it's enemies, striking at them again and again. Eventually both tribes fled to escape it. The Elyos chose to go underground. It was a place the creatures could not go. They feared the small dark places, preferring the open skies above. While the humans fled far and wide across the lands.

                                                                       ****

Drew slept, his dreams filled with dark dangerous beasts fighting humans. Ned was there with his people trying to protect them. He woke with a start, the sun shinning through the loft window. He got up and hurried downstairs. He wanted to see if Ned was alright. Then he heard the thunderous snores coming through the bedroom door. Grinning, Drew headed to the kitchen to make a late breakfast for himself. But he'd first better take his boys out, as they'd got off the couch and hurry over to him, dance about eagerly.

A bit later, as he sipped his second cup of coffee, Drew looked out the large window enjoying the view of the  lake. But his thoughts kept returning to the thing Ned had fought. 'Is it's body still there? What if one of the staff come across it?' He was about to head out to go look when Ned's voice came to him.

'It's not there my brother, they would have come and taken it away by now. It's why I agreed to come to the cottage. I didn't want you to be near, when they came looking for their kin.' This startled Drew, his thoughts began to race.

'Will those things come back? How can I be safe? How can those things get onto the property so easily and remain unseen?' Once again, Ned's voice touched his mind.

'It was after me. But because you know me, it perhaps saw you as a threat also.' he paused. 'I will speak with my people. Perhaps they will know how to keep you safe.' Then suddenly it hit him. Drew realized he'd been talking to Ned with his mind.

'You heard me! What I was thinking. How did you do that?' he thought, testing it, even though he believed it had happened. Ned's voice was tinged with humor.

'Did I not call you brother? Have I not said we are connected, as family is connected... It is not only my people who possessed this gift. Unfortunately, your people... humans, they've forgotten to share their thoughts. Too many secrets have divided them, they are no longer connected as they once were.'

As Drew thought about it, he realized the truth of it. He'd seen a few exceptions over the years. When a good friend had got married to what he called the perfect woman for him. He'd often said "It's like she knows what I'm thinking." Then there was a set of twins he'd known in school. It was often unsettling how they would finish one another's sentences. So that was it. The true connection. It made him a little sad. But was it any wonder the majority had lost the ability. There was so much suspicion, distrust and fear in the human world.

'I'm sorry to make you sad, but it was how the Vylor succeeded in changing your people.' Ned's thoughts were soft, sympathetic. 'It is only my people's exile which allowed us to keep our ways. But speaking aloud is still difficult for them. Sounds are amplified in the large chambers, it is hurtful to their sensitive ears. My Uncle is used to noises, since he often went above. Yet below, the acoustics are rather good, especially if one yells.'

'Acoustics? I just have good lungs, ask my mother.' he paused, feeling a bit guilty. 'I want to say I'm sorry for hitting your Uncle, but at the time I was rather desperate to leave.' Drew heard the familiar grunting laugh behind him.

'My Uncle said, for a human, you got a good right hook.' His voice had both humor and a bit of pride in it. Drew grinned.

"I'll take that compliment." he said. Then gestured to the coffee pot on the kitchen counter.

"Oh yeah, wake up juice... " he said roughly with longing, as he headed stiffly over to get some.

"Are you feeling alright? I could get you that... " Drew headed towards him, but Ned held up his hand.

"Don't you fret now. I'm a bit achy, but I'll be just fine. You did a really good job patching me up. So don't go trying to wait on me, I'm good brother." He'd took out a large mug and filled it with coffee. Then after adding some milk and sugar cubes he headed for the table. He took a sip as he sat down and gave a satisfied sigh. "That's good now, a mighty fine brew."

"Thanks. Could you tell me more about the Vylor? And why did that one attack?" Ned gestured to the chair opposite him.

'I think I'll continue this way, less interruptions.' his voice taunted just a little, Drew found himself grinning.

'Fine with me. It's easier this way, I can still drink my coffee.' Ned grunted a few times at that.

'Now you're getting into the practical side of it. Glad to see you don't mind it.' Then he took a long drink, his friend's mind felt oddly still. Drew could sense the heavy weight of responsibility.

'I don't want you going against any rules or laws your people might have.' Drew felt a sudden warmth to Ned's voice as he replied.

'You are my brother. You are family... we are connected. It may be many generations past, but we have found one another again.' he waited a moment then continued. 'What was once lost may be reclaimed... together. It is something the Vylor would not understand. They did not believe we could be reunited.'

'So tell me. Is there a way for your family to come here... to come to my lands?' Drew felt it would be a good thing if they could.

'I do not know, but it may be possible. My family is only a portion of my people, there are many tribes below. The one you saw is only a small one.' Ned looked over his mug to watch Drew.

'Will you be okay to travel? I don't want you to be ambushed in your condition.' Drew hoped Ned would understand his fear and concern for him.

'I will stay for a few days. Then I will go see if I can find a tribe here. There may be a way for me to travel below. I would be safe from the Vylor there.'

"Will the Vylor stay away? I could get my rifle, if I need to." Drew didn't relish the idea of hunting, but if he needed to protect his property, he'd do so again.

'No, I'll see that your lands stay clear of our enemy. Don't worry, there are other friends to my people besides bears. I will ask them to keep watch over you, my brother.' Ned gave a smile. Drew felt their connection. It was there, real as the one he had with his family. For Drew it was enough, he had another brother now. Ned was more humane than some people he'd met over the years. It felt right inside to accept it, it felt familiar.

"I really need to take care of some business today. There's a party for my younger brother next month that's only a few weeks away. I don't want to leave, but I don't think I can put things off. Besides, my man Arthur will be cross if I don't tend to the house business." Ned gave a nod as he got up to get more coffee.

'Go, I'll be here for a couple days. Don't let me get in the way of your life and your family.' Drew got up and put his cup in the sink. Then he called to the dogs who were dozing on the floor by the couch.

"There should be plenty to hold you over in the kitchen while I'm gone. Lock up, I don't want anyone to bother you. I'll be back in the evening at the latest. I'll make sure Arthur tells the grounds keeper to stay away from here till next week." Then he headed out the door, the dogs running out front as he closed it.

'I'll be fine, don't worry.' came Ned's voice, it worried him though, as it felt a bit tired.

'Get some rest. I'll want to hear more stories about our two people when I return.' Drew could feel a sense of pleasure from Ned. Quickening his step he raced the two dogs up to the main house. There was so much to do before he'd be able to return to the cottage in the evening.


                                                                     ****

Time rushed by as Drew enjoyed both his family and the company of his new brother. They talked for hours and he brought foods to aid in Ned's recovery. He was amazed at how soon Ned was well enough to travel. He knew the moment he'd returned home that Ned had finally gone. He didn't need to go to the cottage, because the familiar feeling of his thoughts was absent. But as he walked slowly out onto the lawn, looking out over the lands he noticed a difference. The forest all around was no longer empty. He could feel the soft presence of many creatures, their watchful vigilance and fierce sense of duty surprised him. So these were the friends Ned had spoke about. Drew felt such awe, to be so connected to the natural world. Not surprising was the fact most humans had lost their connection with nature on such a deep level. Perhaps some still possessed a bit of it, but he was fairly sure most didn't even know it existed.

His younger brother Charles was soon celebrating a birthday, and then soon afterwards a new job. His older brother Keith and his wife soon had a surprise. The were expecting their second child. Unfortunately, their young son wasn't sure how he felt about it yet.
Dear sister Ella had her hands full with her three children and planning a special birthday party for their lovely mother. She still was graceful and beautiful, surrounded by those she loved. Drew often though it would do her well to remarry perhaps.

He'd spoken to his father about it when he visited his grave. He'd come to offer his respects to his sire. He'd been a great man and a legendary hunter and adventurer. It was he who'd appear, with treasures and incredible stories. But those visits were rare, with long periods between. He never stayed for long either. There were times Drew believed his father was more afraid of being home than facing the unknown dangers awaiting him in far away lands. Drew was glad he'd left that life behind. His life was his own now, he wasn't his father, nor did he want to be like him any longer. The grand adventures Drew had with his family were far too precious to miss out on. That and the exciting tales Ned told him were far better than his own. Yet, Drew still missed his father's presence, wishing he'd lived, to be a part of the family. Though he likely wouldn't have stayed with them for long. Perhaps it was for the best, at least this way, Drew knew exactly where to find him and he wouldn't be going anywhere.

                                                                       ****

It was one year and six months from the day of his trip to Haycroft, when Drew began to write. He wrote in his study mostly. But there were times he would go down to the cottage for several nights in a row. Then when he returned, he'd be back at it, writing more and more. He filled up folders and then would go to the great library in the city. Often he could be found searching the books in his own library. It was almost three months before he finally stopped. Then he called up an editor he knew at a local publishing house. The gentleman was surprised, and then greatly excited after he visited the estate.

"It's amazing!" he said as he finished reading the manuscript. "but I'm not the final say, the others have to agree. I don't know how they could say no. I can't imagine where you came up with this. Incredible!"

"I'm glad you like it my friend. Now do you think you can convince the senior parties?" Mr. Carson sighed.

"This could be a difficult undertaking. Are you serious about this Mr. Hunter? There will be some attention generated once this appears in print." James Carson asked as they sat in Drew's study having a brandy.

"I've never been more serious in my life. As for attention, I'm anticipating it my good Sir." Drew sat behind his desk calmly, his fingers steepled in front of his chest.

"As you wish Mr. Hunter. I'll submit your work to my superiors. As I've said, they will have the last word about this." he said gesturing to the manuscript. Then he rose from his seat, opened his case on the desk and placed the manuscript inside.

"Of course, Shawn. Thank you for coming." As the meeting was over, Mr. Carson left promptly. For the next few days Drew waited anxiously for word about his submission.

A week later he finally received a package in the post. It was a contract, a check for a rather large advance and a request for several more stories. He smiled after looking over the contract, then signed it. He had it delivered by courier that very afternoon. It was the beginning, a simple way to get people reconnected, to find what had been was lost.

                                                                       ****

In his study Drew glanced at the time, it was getting late, he'd gone and lost himself in his thoughts again. Then it came, softly in the distance. He felt a familiar presence slowly coming closer, even the woods outside was stirring in welcome.

'You're early, hopefully that means good news. I'll be down in a moment, do you fancy some berry pie tonight, brother?' he sent his thoughts with simple ease. It had become like breathing, he rarely thought of it as odd or strange any more.

'You're going to make me fat.' came Ned's reply tinged with good humor. 'But then you already know I won't refuse. Bring it with you, I'll be waiting. We've a lot to talk about tonight.'

Drew Hunter was no longer a hunter, though those memories and skills still dwelled within in him. Thanks to the fateful event in Haycroft, his life had been turned around forever. Now he had a new calling, to share something special with the world. A precious connection lost through treachery eons ago. But he knew himself, there was a chance to reclaim it. If restored, it might be the key to defeating of an old enemy, the Vylor. Drew was sure they were still out there making trouble.

The years lay ahead, filled with possibilities. Drew continued to write his many adventures, which were published and shared abroad. Their growth in popularity brought him pleasure. He watched for any signs people were becoming more connected, though he knew it may take a long time.
All the while, Drew slowly became famous, known as the author of the Elyos series. It  had begun long ago in a cave, but it took form in his study, with his first book, The Hunted.



There now, wasn't that an interesting story... look, the fog has cleared away and the day is just beginning. Time for you to head off again on you're way now. Thanks for dropping by for a visit. Maybe you or another traveler will stop by again some foggy evening. But don't worry, I will always have wonderful tales to offer to pass the time quickly. Until we meet again, safe journey my dears...

© 2017 Starrweaver


Author's Note

Starrweaver
Feedback would be helpful

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

113 Views
Added on September 19, 2017
Last Updated on September 19, 2017
Tags: flash fiction, adventure, experimental

Author

Starrweaver
Starrweaver

Augusta, GA



About
Been writing since I was 6 with my first illustrated tale about a herd of wild horses. I write across several genre, including mixing them into a rather interesting batter. But thankfully, they all se.. more..

Writing