The Difference Between Twenty-Two and Seventeen

The Difference Between Twenty-Two and Seventeen

A Poem by Here's What I Say
"

If I met my 17-year-old self while writing "Can't Fight the Moonlight"

"

 

Stefanie, listen to me
Damn, Dad’s right      I do scowl a lot
 
Ok, ok, ok, I forget how sensitive I am
 
You don’t look too thrilled to see me
What, the gut?
Yeah, you’re still going to have the gut in five years
But that’s not why I’m here, so stop changing the subject—
 
No, you won’t have a boyfriend in five years
Trust me
A boyfriend will be the least of your problems
Crushes will be bad enough—
 
You don’t know who Robert Pattinson is?   Who is he?
Stefanie, all you need to know is one day you won’t be able to stop thinking of him
Now, would you PLEASE let me to get to the bottom of why I’m here?
 
I don’t know how I got here either
All I know is that I thought I was going to have trouble at the gate
But the security guard just asked me why I wasn’t wearing my school uniform Nuff said.
 
Alright, I’m here because of your story
Yeah, you’re gonna write better stuff later too
You’re gonna love what you’re going to be writing in two years, never mind five
 
What about those years in between?
 
 
 
…Call it your metamorphous years.
Those are the years where you’re gonna be developing in your little literary cocoon
 
 
NOW.
 
Your story is cute
Flat out adorable
Don’t you love the part where Marian’s at Mahina’s house
And she turns to leave and she steps on a condom wrapper?
And you thought of that! That little piece of comic genius is yours!
 
 
…No, Stefanie. He’ll never see it. And he’ll never be Frank.
 
I’m sorry, sweetie.
 
 
Stefanie, look at me.
Look at me. Or at the dot on our noses. Close enough.
He isn’t worth your time. Or your tears.
Wait, I shouldn’t have said that.
 
Why? Because you need to write this story.
You’re not out of the woods yet. And you’re not due out for a little while longer.
When? You’ll find out
How? You’ll find out
Why?
 
Because you promised him.
 
Stefanie, I came here to tell you to write this story
And not to change a thing
As much as you’re crinkling your nose in your way
As much as you hate crying over your keyboard like freakin’ Diane Keaton
I can’t tell you to change a thing about this story.
It won’t be magnificent
It won’t be your best
It won’t keep you in love with him
But telling you to change your story
Is the proverbial house built upon sand
 
And I need you to be my rock.
 
 

 

 

© 2009 Here's What I Say


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Man, I really liked this poem. The whole perspective thing between then and now, aand the conversaTION IS SO BELIEVABLE AND COGENT. tHANK YOU FOR WRITING THIS. (oops i hit caps lock again)

And I am 56 and my girlfriend met someone else after nearly five years, told me about him day before yesturday and it hurts just as much now as when I was young. "Okay Keith... it isnt about you.... just comment on the poem and leave yourself out of every conversation"....oh yeah, I forgot again didn't I?

bye raining

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Soooo creative! And you were so nice to your younger self! I enjoyed this verrrry much! Thank you!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I pretend to timetravel in my head all the time - unlike you, I scold my younger self for not making more of an effort to improve its writing. It gets me angry haha.
As other people have said, the conversation is plausible and well-written. As a poetic concept, it's intriguing and entertaining, and you carry it off really well.
I liked the warm ending too.
Thanks for sharing this with us.

Posted 14 Years Ago


this was great. this was urgent, which was funny because there's no way seventeen year-old steph is gonna change anything.

I think it's funny and also a little bit eye opening that your younger self is your rock. Most people think their younger self is just an immature goon, and you are completely different.. you trust the wisdom of your seventeen year-old self. which is awesome.

so keep it up. don't change, not that I think you will.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I agree with Taylor a bit..... I love the premise, but if you were to make a clear distinction of who's talking to who, I think it would flow better. Great imagination(as always), and I love your diction that you present! It's always true to life and I can tell it's true to yourself as well! Good pen....

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

this was really good, but i got confused on who was speaking. great job though

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Man, I really liked this poem. The whole perspective thing between then and now, aand the conversaTION IS SO BELIEVABLE AND COGENT. tHANK YOU FOR WRITING THIS. (oops i hit caps lock again)

And I am 56 and my girlfriend met someone else after nearly five years, told me about him day before yesturday and it hurts just as much now as when I was young. "Okay Keith... it isnt about you.... just comment on the poem and leave yourself out of every conversation"....oh yeah, I forgot again didn't I?

bye raining

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

266 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 2, 2009

Author

Here's What I Say
Here's What I Say

Torrance, CA



About
I was born on July 3rd 1986 in Torrance, California, and grew up there all my life. I had a hankering to start writing when I was eight, but didn't start actively pursuing it until I was thirteen and .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..