The Waiting

The Waiting

A Story by ErithVert

             Now he balls his fist. Everyone is looking at Alberto engulfed in his story. The pause is unbearable, everyone’s mouths were open.

            “Mr. Caruso looked at me with his big green eyes. He was dying now and we both knew it. With every word he gave another deep cough… He said all his life he has been waiting. From moment to moment, even the happiest of events he has just been waiting to get through. He was where he wanted to be.”

            “Did he tell you that he loved you?” Lidia asked.

            “No. He never did.” Alberto said disappointingly.

            “Are you waiting?” Pete asked. Alberto looked at her. “Like Mr. Caruso?”

            “Yes. I think everyone is.” He replied.

            “I’m not waiting for anything.” Lidia said with a smile, as if she were proud.

            “He doesn’t mean that he is literally waiting for something but that everyone in their lives is waiting to move on to the next stage. Like children wait to be adults.” Jonas said placing another bottle of wine on the blue dining table.

            “Well I am happy where I am right now in my life,” Lidia said placing her hand upon Alberto’s.

            “I think I know what you mean. Right now, I don’t have any complaints.” Jonas said putting his arm around Pete. Pete stopped cutting her asparagus.

            “May I have another glass of wine please?” Pete asked. Once Jonas removed his arm from her shoulders, her neck felt free once again.

            “Sure can.” Jonas refilled Pete’s glass. She took a drink and he watched her do so, his eyes smiling.

            “What about you Alberto, are you happy where we are now? Do you think we’re a good match?” Lidia asked before taking a bite of chicken.

            “We’re gold, baby.” Alberto responded and then stood up. “If you will excuse me, I am going to enjoy my after dinner cigar. Jonas, would you like one?”

            “Sure.” Jonas stood up and kissed Pete on the top of the head. The men exited through the patio door.

            “You have been quiet tonight Pete. Anything bothering you?” Lidia said once the men had left the room.

            “Just a little tired. That’s all.” Pete placed her fork and knife on her plate. She stood up and began collecting the dishes. Lidia did the same. “You don’t have to do anything Lidia. I am just going to set these on the counter and deal with them later. Maybe I will make Jonas take care of them.” Lidia handed the dishes she had gathered to Pete. She tried to locate Pete’s eyes but they were looking at the table, stuck there. Lidia knew that Pete was lying to her, that Pete didn’t want to confide in her but Lidia took her seat once again and closed her mouth. Once the dishes were cleared Pete took another drink of her wine and looked at Lidia who was sitting silently with her head down.

            “Anything bothering you?” Pete asked, taking her seat.

            “I want us to be friends Pete.”

            “We are friends.” Pete looked out the window and saw the men talking and laughing together. It was if there was a pit in her stomach like a peach and it kept growing. The pit was most of her and anything real and true was running out of room. She thought about the story Alberto told and wondered what he was waiting for; if he needed anything. Lidia said something but Pete didn’t hear it. She was looking at the center of the table once again.

© 2014 ErithVert


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

83 Views
Added on April 2, 2014
Last Updated on April 2, 2014

Author

ErithVert
ErithVert

Watauga, TX



About
I am not much for talking about myself in any obvious sort of way. But I have a family, a career, I am extremely busy but despite all of those wonderful things all I ever want to do is write. I write .. more..

Writing
Crumbs Crumbs

A Story by ErithVert





FREE author website
Authors are creating beautiful personal websites with Myauthor.space for FREE! Try us before you spend $1000s of dollars
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5