To Follow

To Follow

A Story by SteveTarasev
"

You’re depressed because you can never do that.

"
Looking up from your computer screen you swear softly under your breath, 
“S**t. That was good”

As good as it was you’re depressed. You’re depressed because you can never do that. You can’t do it and it doesn’t have anything to do with how good you are now or how good you can be in future. It’s just a law of the universe now. You can never write that story. 

You can’t write it because it’s already been written and now you know it’s been written. Before tonight you could have written the story, just like the author, perhaps better than the original. Happy with your product, your armor of ignorance protecting your ego from the barbs that will follow its completion. The criticisms of the story only adding fuel to your feelings of self-worth and sense of accomplishment. 

“It’s good but I’m pretty sure Chuck Palahniuk wrote something exactly like that. You get the idea from him?” 

“F**k no. Never read that s**t. Never read anything like this before” 

Now it's a lie. A hollow lie to hide the sinking feeling when someone finds out you’re a fraud and a fake.  If you try to write something like it now you’ll just be a plagiarizer. A copycat. The author owns that idea now and it is his legacy. 

The idea of the story is so good. How challenging and intriguing to write the same story but in your own way, with your own words.  In the end it’d be as hollow as the feeling you would get from writing it. Hollow because the original author nailed it. He hit that f*****g thing out of the park. It might not be perfect but it’s amazing. 

No. You’re better off trying your luck at something else. No matter how good your attempt is it’ll never make you happy and in the end that’s all that really matters. You need to feel the sense of accomplishment and the joy of creation. Not the hollowness of impersonation. 

© 2016 SteveTarasev


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

330 Views
Added on May 31, 2014
Last Updated on February 24, 2016
Tags: original, copy, follow

Author

SteveTarasev
SteveTarasev

Houston, TX



About
Just a small town banana trying to make it in the big city. Follow me @SteveTarasev more..

Writing