I'm fine

I'm fine

A Story by Luther Calvin
"

Trust me.

"
I see a friend from across the room. Our eyes meet, and she waves. We walk, nine steps, to meet in the middle. 
"Hey! How are you?" she asks.
"I'm fine, you?" I reply.
An empty feeling overcomes my soul. I'm not fine. I feel alone. I feel like I walk alone on my path of life. The path is covered with shattered fragments of long-forgotten dreams. Plans and dreams, all replaced by an all-encompassing nothing. I've become a floater, reacting to life without doing anything on my own. My shattered heart is the only thing that's moving, and even that should stop soon. Sometimes, I forget that I'm alive. This friend is my final anchor that tethers me to reality. I'm afraid to lose her, in case I drift so far I'm lost forever. I don't tell her any of this. I'd probably just scare her away, sealing my isolated fate.
"I'm fine," she responds. I wonder if she's telling the truth.

© 2017 Luther Calvin


Author's Note

Luther Calvin
Feel free to say whatever you like on this. I just thought I should throw something out there. I planned to write this as a poem, but I couldn't get it to work. If you can relate to this, I'm open for conversation.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

"I'm fine" can have different meanings. Depends of how somebody says it. It would be nice to understand how the "I'm fine" from the girl sounded.

Posted 6 Years Ago


This is good. I'd put the rumination ahead of you saying "I'm fine, you?" If you do it before, it will come across more profound and it will be more effective to the reader.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Luther Calvin

7 Years Ago

Thank you, Andrew, for your input!
Ah, the beauty of the phrase "I'm fine". One of those mechanical responses we often make without much of a thought, but one that can also serve to avoid further questions on what may be uncomfortable or risky subjects.

The sort of hollow listlessness you touch upon here is never an enjoyable thing. The inopportune times when we find ourselves dwelling on it don't help, and just make the feeling that much more draining on our sense of power over our own lives. That we tend to set into rhythms doesn't help in this respect. Plans falling through, with replacements following suite, is terribly dispiriting.

As for the wondering if others are being truthful or if they too are engaged in the same protective silence is one that can always rear its head. Family or close friends are, unfortunately, not always exempt.

Overall, a good piece.

Posted 7 Years Ago


We've all had times like this when we feel alone and the phrase about shattered fragments of dreams will touch us all.

Reacting to life instead of acting with life does leave you filled with drifting feelings, again something that almost everyone can identify with.

Our natural curiosity about others real feelings and emotions would make us all wonder if they are actually fine.

I thought this was a well written and observed piece.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Luther Calvin

7 Years Ago

Thank you! I'm glad to know you liked it. It's just sad that people can relate with it.
You are tackling such an important issue that I personally relate to, this would be so powerful through a poem! I reckon with a wise choice of strong words it could be an incredible poem. let me know how it goes xx

Posted 7 Years Ago


Luther Calvin

7 Years Ago

Thank you! I think I'll try sometime (hopefully this weekend).
Oh the lies laced through the words "I'm Fine." I love reading something so honest. You have a beautiful way of presenting inner thoughts between something as simple as an everyday greeting. This was a great use of words! I loved the subject.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Luther Calvin

7 Years Ago

Thank you, Brittany! I guess I'm the opposite of a painter, because I write what I don't see.
I think you captured the complete essence of paranoia in every human. Very thought provoking, well done.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Luther Calvin

7 Years Ago

Thank you for your comment. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

517 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 23, 2017
Last Updated on January 23, 2017
Tags: fine, alone, life

Author

Luther Calvin
Luther Calvin

About
Christopher Columbus could not have crossed the Atlantic without a constant breeze pushing him along.You are Columbus. My job is to be the wind. more..