Weekend Love

Weekend Love

A Story by Shingo
"

This is a story i wrote when i was in year 12, and i still have a digital copy. I was given one hour, a 1000 word limit and one line to write from as a test. The line was: "As she walked along the windswept beach." It is a story about the love o

"

It had been days since they parted, a lingering embrace signaling the end of yet another stolen weekend spent together. She had begun to yearn for the sort of moments their weekend liaisons yielded, the complete freedom and security that they felt for one another allowing absolute honesty on any issue, regardless of how trivial or crucial. Though she took great pleasure in the looseness of their relationship, and the conversations that they had, it was the feeling that exploded in her mind and caressed her senses whenever they touched that she missed the most. As she walked along the windswept beach she recalled the sensation the he provoked, smiling broadly and hugging herself.

 

Not only did the remaining emotions trigger reminiscing, but the beach itself added memories of its own. It was here, she thought warmly, that the two lovers had first truly opened to one another. It was here, after stumbling down the rocky path in the moonlight, that she had made a silent promise to herself and to him that no matter what happened she would always remain faithful, she would always be honest. And it was here on the glowing sand and by the gentle sound of the receding sea, they first embraced as true lovers, knowing that their feelings were returned just as strongly. That had been the turning point in their relationship, the place that she had realized that no matter what they had been through, no matter what was yet to come, she would always love him and he would always make the blood flow faster in her veins. All this had passed through her mind in the space of a second, the time taken to smile, and she lay down on the warm sand. Just being at such an important place had sobered her, her once glimmering smile replaced by a mask of contemplation. Laying there, stretched out on the beach, she thought back on their relationship since that moonlit night, and knew that she had kept her promise so far, knew that she always would.

 

As she rose to leave, cheerless at the prospect of returning to her weekday life, a thought crashed into her conscious mind like a wave breaking on the beach behind her. Is their love still as strong as it was on that night, or had she grown too comfortable to the point of complacency? The sudden shock of this thought surfacing had unnerved her, and she stumbled back up the stony slope, determined to find out.

 

A week later, and another exhilarating weekend over, she waved him off and watched his car as its size dwindled to nothingness on the horizon. She turned and faced the water, already walking back down to her long favourite place, and when her feet touched the golden sand an upsurge of memories overwhelmed her sight, and took her back again in time.

She had been crying for what seemed an eternity when the phone rang, its clamor interrupting her sorrow and giving her cause to leave the chair in which she had been seated for hours. She silently hoped, as she always did, that she would hear his voice at the other end when she answered, and then scolded herself for doing so. It was over, and she had to accept it. No more loving embraces, no more electricity through her skin when he touched her. She wanted to forget, but knew she never could. The unexpected voice she heard when she brushed away her flowing brown hair and lifted the phone to her ear caused an influx of adrenaline that nearly made her collapse. Her hopes had come true, and he had called her. Their conversation was brief, and contained nothing of any real interest save for his one question.
“Do you believe in second chances?”
To this she gave a safe answer, not wanting to betray the hope she felt, not wanting him to notice the love she still harboured by letting it come out through her words. They said their goodbyes, and after he hung up she listened to the phone beep for a while before hanging it up, and sitting back down. She knew her mind was too confounded to make any sense of anything now, and before she knew it, she had again started to cry.

 

Regaining her senses, she found that she had not moved a step from when she had lost them; rather she had sat down on the bumpy path she now saw as similar to their relationship. They had had their downs, many of them in fact, and she knew that they were making up for them now. The day that he had asked her to reconsider their relationship had been yet another important part of both their lives, and she had never forgotten the eruption of love and hope and everything good in the world that she felt when they wrapped one another in their arms later that week. Since that day, they had only come close to leaving one another for good once, yet she knew that even that was insignificant compared to the way that they felt for each other now. She had an answer for her question, though she was surprised at it at first. No, they didn’t love each other as much as they did on that breathtaking night. They loved each other more. No matter the time that they spent together, it always went too swiftly and came around again too slowly. Yet they both would always treasure the memories, as we know we all should.
 

© 2008 Shingo


Author's Note

Shingo
I'm putting this one up because i love reading it. It doesn't really matter whether it is good or bad, but reviews would still be nice... :P

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

175 Views
Added on February 14, 2008

Author

Shingo
Shingo

Adelaide, Australia



About
Um. Well, I've been writing for a few years now, trying to come out with something worth reading, and i am an avid reader of pretty much anything. I like writing, almost regardless of what it is that .. more..

Writing