Diagnosis Murder?

Diagnosis Murder?

A Story by Wulfstan Crumble

"No, you dont have cancer. You are totally fine... but, do you mind if i talk to your wife?"
Cogs start to turn... "Sure, i guess."
Patient steps out of room. Wife step in.
The doctor shuts the door, "Your husband has cancer."
"How does he feel about that?"
"He doesnt know."
"Why not?"
"I didnt want to worry him."
"Why did you tell me first then?"
"I respect your opinions more than the patient. Patients are stupid. 46% of hospitals agree with that."
"I think you should tell him."
"That is up to you as his relative. Only 65.9% of doctors tell their patients they have cancer. But you are lucky. Only 48% of doctors tell the relatives of a cancer patient that the patient has cancer. You could be completely in the dark. And besides 70% of doctors are worried that the relatives would complain if we listented exclusively to the wishes of the patient. We cant be selfish here now can we."
"I think you should tell him."
"Okay, could you step out for a moment and ask your husband to come back in."
Wife steps out. Patient steps back in.
"I am sorry. I talked with your wife. You do have cancer."
"Oh, that's bad. hmm..how bad is it? Do i have long to live?"
"Of course. It is very easily treatable and you'll be fine."
"Thank you doctor. Would you like to talk to my wife again?"
"No, not this time."
The patient bows and leaves the examination room. The doctor sighs to himself, "I am one of over 50% of doctors who refuse to tell a patient that its terminal."

All statistics are from a recent survey of Japanese hospitals as published in the Yomiuri Shimbun on March 3rd, 2007.
 

© 2008 Wulfstan Crumble


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

141 Views
Added on February 13, 2008

Author

Wulfstan Crumble
Wulfstan Crumble

Cirencester, England, and Kishiwada, Osaka, United Kingdom



About
Wulfstan Crumble is a 27 year old Englishman. He is currently working on a plethora of pieces for various anthologies and magazines (hoping not all will get rejected). He really hopes that some o.. more..

Writing