Sumaphelia: Act 1, Scene 3 or 4

Sumaphelia: Act 1, Scene 3 or 4

A Stage Play by Sumalee
"

Exerpt from a much longer play, Shakespeare meets Austen crazines. In this scene General Daigh and Evanello seek entrance to Rosalia's mansion.

"

(Lights up, but dim)

(It is nighttime. GENERAL DAIGH enters SL and EVANELLO from SR. In the darkness, the men do not see each other. Both are trying to gain entrance into the house. Both men grab ahold of lattices leadign to the balconies but are too far apart to see one another in the darkness. They make their climb up and both hit the balcony floor at the same time making a clunk sound with their boots that alert one another to the others presense.)

 

Daigh

 

 

 

 

Soldier, what are you doing here?

 

Evanello

 

 

General Daigh? I could ask the same of you.

 

Daigh

 

I am the commanding officer here, so you will be answering my questions, not the other way around. Now, state your business, that’s an order.

 

Evanello

 

I’m a guest in the house, But being late, I was locked out. So I climbed the lattice hoping these doors would be open. Lucky for me, they were.

 

Daigh

 

Oh, well, oddly enough, your story is the same as mine. Shall we. (He gestures towards the door)

 

(As they enter through the doorway candle light comes from around the corner steadily getting brighter. Lights up. Enter ROSALIA  in long nightgown. She has a candle in one hand and has a hand fan concealed in her bosom)

 

Rosalia

 

 

(Gasping) I was awoken by a startling noise. It’s not often that my slumber is interrupted in such a way. I thought perhaps something had fallen, but now I see that the sound was caused by two young men attempting to gain entrance into my home. Oh, the irony! I mean, agony! (strikes dramatic pose)

 

Evanello

 

 

Yes, Duchess Rosalia, I must apologize. That was my fault madam.

 

Rosalia

 

 

(notices Daigh) Oh its…quite alright. (She smiles at him and pulls the fan out, fanning herself rapidly, then looks back to Evanello) I see now that it is Mr. Evanello O'Bayashae who disrupts my sleep. I was told you’d be coming. However, I thought you might be entering a little more...traditionally. I assume you are to stay here, then?

 

Evanello

 

Oh yes, I was planning on staying for a little while. That is, with your consent, generous Duchess. This is Ge-

 

Daigh

 

Gerard Colbert! Um, yes, of Paris. Pleased to meet you, madam.

 

Rosalia

 

 

(She ignores Evanello and looks Daigh up and down. In the light it is now obvious that his clothes are torn as if he had just come out of a war) What happened to you sir? (Lunges toward him and puts her hands on his chest) Were you in a battle? A duel to the death? Are these wounds from such a brawl?

 

Daigh

 

(Looks down at his tattered clothing and laughs heartily) Oh, this? (Tugs at his pants where this is a long open tear down them) No, no battle. This was from a little interlude after I won the duel. (Smiles, proud of himself)

 

(Both of them look at each other passionately. Evanello clears his throat loudly and Daigh looks over his shoulder realizing that he is still in the room)

 

Daigh

 

You’re still here, soldier? Dismissed…leave…now!

 

Rosalia

 

 (Grabs a small bell off the coffee table to her left and rings it daintily) Seanderella! Hurry up.

 

(Seanderella enters SL very sleepily)

 

Seanderella

 

You rang?

 

Duchess

 

Yes, please show Mr. O'Bayashae to a guest room.

 

Seanderella

 

Mr. O'Bayashae! Yes, yes, of course! Right away.

 

(They both exit leaving the Duchess and the General alone. There is a long silence.)

 

Daigh-

 

Well, um, I must be going then. I apologize for my mistaking your window for that of a friend's. I should have known that a window of such perfect proportions and lovely curtains must have belonged to a lady. 

 

Rosalia

 

(giggling) Oh, well, you needn't apologize. I do love a man who can climb lattices with such vigor.

 

Daigh

 

Right...well, I am happy to oblige. It was lovely to meet you, Duchess. (He kisses her hand and turns to the balcony, steeping onto the railing)

 

Rosalia

 

Wait! Pray, do you attend balls, sir?

 

Daigh

 

Attend? There is scarce a ball in the country that does not recieve my notice.

 

Rosalia

 

And would you care to attend my Annual Unification of the Romantically Impoverished Persons Masquerade Ball tomorrow night?

 

Daigh

 

Does a lark care to sing? I will be there. Farewell. (He blows her a kiss and wave goodbye, then steps off the balcony, seemingly disappearing.)

 

Rosalia

 

Farewell! (Holding her heart dramatically) Oh, have you ever seen such a man? Oh, Gerard Colbert!! Worry not, dear fluttering heart of mine, we shall see the gentleman again ont he morrow! (She runs off quickly and of course, dramatically.)

 

(The audience sees Daigh peek his head over the railing to make sure Rosalia is gone. He then climbs back over and comes through the door.)

 

Daigh

 

Mental, that one. Such luck! (Laughing) A french gentleman, indeed. (He walks off SL)

 

(Lights out)

 

 

© 2008 Sumalee


Author's Note

Sumalee
This really won't make too much sense for the time being since the rest is missing, but would love to hear any comments on style and logistics.

My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

110 Views
Added on April 6, 2008

Author

Sumalee
Sumalee

Sanford



About
I am a novice writer and costumer. I'm really quite eccentric but I try to tone it down to be around normal folks :P I have a great love of history and this is reflected in both of my main hobbies. more..