Bruises

Bruises

A Story by Eleni C.
"

300 word story I wrote for my Creative Writing class. Content warning: it may be disturbing to some, particularly if you're not comfortable with allusions to abuse.

"

‘Bruises’


At first, it’s very easy. A few dots of your sister’s concealer and it’s gone, buried under a skin-coloured layer of a promise that it’s never going to happen again. A well-placed coral scarf, wrapped around your neck tightly, covered in a hasty explanation that it’s getting a bit nippy and you would like to keep it on, thank you very much. You love those thick leather cuff bracelets, it’s all part of your aesthetic. Long sleeves and layers of clothing are essential for this weather, don’t you think?


At some point, things get a bit trickier. There’s not much you can say by way of explaining why you flinch every time your brother talks with his hands a little too excitedly, so close you can feel the air shift as he moves. You hope that no one noticed the way wince every time you get up too quickly. It comes easily to wave off concern by explaining that you’re just so clumsy, you weren’t looking where you were going and, anyway, you’d forgotten there were stairs at this or that part of the building. You’re quiet because you’re tired, you can’t get much sleep lately, must be all that work you have to get done for your next class. No, you can’t go out this weekend, you’re simply too busy, you’ve got assignments to complete.


You see, it’s always simple enough to tell yourself to be more understanding. You need to be a bit more patient, he’s struggling. Work has been hectic, the stress has been getting to him lately, that’s all.

 

Love hurts, doesn't it?

© 2018 Eleni C.


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

so true love really hurts especially if it is not only a matter of pride but also of one's self esteem. I like the plot of the story, it tells the feeling of an abused person whose fault is that she loves the abuser and it is prevalent in today's society may this be an eye opener too.

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

45 Views
1 Review
Added on March 6, 2018
Last Updated on March 6, 2018
Tags: bruises, writing prompt, short story, story, excerpt from a book I'll never w

Author

Eleni C.
Eleni C.

United Kingdom



About
I'm a literature and creative writing student in the United Kingdom, very interested in reading loads of books (the goal is 1000 by the time I'm 30) and improving my writing. more..

Writing
Picture Picture

A Story by Eleni C.