The Cat

The Cat

A Story by Audrey Wynters
"

A simple short story about a cat. Please read and review!

"

There was a cat in the garden. It was a big cat, this was immediately evident. Maybe not just big, a fat cat; A big fat cat. Heather regarded it through the little window above the kitchen sink. A moment ago she had been elbow deep in sudsy dishes, now she stood with her hands resting at the sinks edge. She found herself transfixed by the cat, almost as though it were attempting to convey something important to her with its eyes. And what magnificent eyes it had, a circle of liquid gold encompassing the black ink chasms that were its pupils. Soapy bubbles slid languidly down her arms, it tickled but she took little notice. Heather watched as the cat turned to sniff one of the marigolds she had planted that spring. This particular flower was a brilliant orange, the kind of orange that paints the sky in an autumn sunset. It sniffed its petals for a moment or two and then returned its gaze back to the kitchen window. Its fur was mostly white, fading to a soft grey around its scruff. The sunlight rested gently across its back, and Heather imagined what it might be like to pet it. She imagined the fur would feel soft, as soft as velvet, and she would feel the warmth from the sun on her palm as she ran her hand over its back. These thoughts were soothing, and she found herself smiling at the cat in the garden.


Heather considered calling out to it, but thought it would prove a waste of time. Somehow she knew this cat would not come to her, nor would he mew in response to the sound of her voice. This cat, she knew, had simply come to sit among the flowers in her garden. He had come to bask in the warmth of the afternoon sun, and once it was gone he would leave. Heather stared a moment longer before turning her eyes back down to the sink. The layer of suds which skimmed the water's surface had dissipated considerably. Beneath the screen of white she could make out the phantom shapes of her mug and bowl, now underwater relics of the afternoons tea and biscuits. Soon Heather was finished and she turned her gaze upwards once more in search of her garden visitor; The cat was gone. For a moment she worried he might be a stray, but seeing as he had been a very fat cat, she assumed somewhere there was a bowl of food waiting for him. She smiled once more at the simple moment they had shared, and then turned to make another cup of tea. She thought perhaps she might drink it in the garden.


A.Wynters

© 2015 Audrey Wynters


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I believe this is simply a simple story about a visiting cat. It came, it sat, it left. And someone watched it with pleasure.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Brilliant metaphorical work Audrey - or maybe I was reading too much into it - either way I was as transfixed as the dish washing cat watcher to this wee story. In such small moments whole lives are lived - I hope thats my own quote given whats been happening around here lately. If it is I'll sue the a*s off anyone who uses it !! kidding
Im a fan Audrey by your unassuming yet gripping style - liked it immensely.
anto :))

Posted 9 Years Ago


Audrey Wynters

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much for such an amazing review, I appreciate it immensely. I love the quote as well, I.. read more
ANTO

9 Years Ago

Thank you - I will make sure no one steals the cat :D
Audrey Wynters

9 Years Ago

Haha, that would be fantastic!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

269 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 5, 2015
Last Updated on January 18, 2015
Tags: cat, short story, story, creative

Author

Audrey Wynters
Audrey Wynters

Ottawa, Canada



About
I love to read and write and have been actively doing both since I was a little girl. I dream of the day I might see my writing in print so I can turn to someone and say "I wrote that". I love the.. more..

Writing