For the Queen

For the Queen

A Story by Kosenjou
"

I started writing a book then stopped, got sidetracked by work - as is always the excuse.

"

The night sky lit up with fire lanterns, mingling with the sounds of pipes, drums and strings of lutes and harps. Cheers rose from the gathered crowd, whistles and laughter. Beneath the bright moon people danced and celebrated, old songs were song, some in drunken stupor others in clear voices that rose in crescendo with the music. Those that could, danced arm in arm around the fires, those that could not sat on and clapped or stomped their feet in time with the music, careful not to spill their drink or food. A feast lay beneath the coloring trees, the smell of roasted and baked and boiled and fried delicacies weaving their own dance through the air where people ate their fill. Even the dogs and cats that scurried beneath the tables and dancing feet found their plenty.

 

The night wore on and the moon rose higher in the night sky signaling the middle hour. The celebrants all fell silent and as one mind and heart the turned towards the dais where small group of musicians sat also in silence, waiting. From the crowd three forms moved towards the dais, two women and one man. All gathered gave a solemn bow as the three made there way forward. Parents held unruly children in place, the young made way as the elder men and women made their way closer to the front of the throng, seeking better vantage points. The performers, dressed in traditional gowns of white silk interlaced with gold threads, ascended the dais and faced all that gathered before them. As one all gathered, performers and celebrants alike faced the highest dais set on small towers and bowed low to its occupants. The waited until the elders gave their blessings before facing forward once more. A hush fell over the crowd as the musicians slowly weaved into a soft melody that rose as each section joined in, the pipes, the drums and the harps and lutes. As one the singers took up the melody, their warbling voices melding perfectly with the music, reaching out to the crowd and to the heavens.

 

After midnight the festivities ended, it was now the new dawn. Many of the women and young ones busied themselves with cleaning the tables and any other used pieces left on the ground, while the men deconstructed the towers and dais that were part of the festivities in one way or another. Many worked in small groups talking amongst themselves of the night’s festivities and how much they had eaten or enjoyed the performances or how sick they will be in the morning.

 

Under the shadow of a moiré tree, an even deeper shadow dislocated itself and moved forward into the light. The hanging lanterns peeled back the darkness to reveal a slender man, his grey beard cut sharply below his chin and his hair pulled back into a tight ponytail. Though he was on in years, his gait was steady and his posture tall and straight, he stopped when a small child ran into his leg, chased by two other screaming ones. He smiled to himself as they ran on, continuing their games oblivious to his presence. The night breeze wrapped itself around him, nipping at the ends of his tunic. He stopped to enjoy the feel of the chill night air on his skin, his breathe came out in a long, low sigh as if the wind blew directly through him. Casting his eyes upwards he stared unblinking at the waning moon.

 

“Is there something up there in the heavens that is more interesting than what is here amongst us, young one?”

 

So lost in his thoughts that he failed to notice her standing beside him, he turned quickly and at once regretted his inattentiveness. She stood a head shorter than him; her serene face upturned to the heavens as his was a moment before. The wind blew gently, tugging at the stray strands of   silvery hair that hung loosely about her face; she closed her eyes enjoying its touch.

 

“Beloved Elder Mother!” he bowed politely

 

She smiled and regarded him with her golden eyes. “Must you always be so formal? I know how old I am I do not need to be reminded every time we meet. As it stands you are much older than I, just because I look it and you don't, doesn't give you the right.”

 

“I…I’m sorry El….Beloved Mother.” He floundered. 

 

Her faced creased into a broad smile then finally lit up with laughter. “You are so easy Khory.” 


Her laughter  was rich and pure, reaching not only her lips and eyes but her entire frame, the lines of her face bore not only a memento to her years but also to her knack of  finding joy in almost everything., he could not help but smile despite himself.

 

When she finally stopped and turned to him, there was a probing look on her face. “Are you going to tell me what had you in such a cloud of gloom on so festive a night as this?”

 

Khory closed his eyes and turned his face once more towards the heavens, finally he said. “Have we forgotten Elder Mother?”

 

“I do not think we have forgotten young one. We try to remind ourselves, that is why we hold this celebration each year.”

 

“We celebrate the day, but not the purpose of it, not the reason for it…that is what we have forgotten.”

 

“Do you truly believe so child.”

 

“Forgive me Elder mother, but I do.”

 

The children ran back again, circling the pair as they continued their games. Khory watched them with a solemn face while the Elder Mother smiled and laughed as they ran round and round, some with mock swords while others held “shields” and “lances”. After chasing each other around the “towers” they ran off again, ducking between the legs of their elders and scrambling up unto the chairs and tables that were no longer in use, occasionally rousing those that napped on the soft grass, too drunk or tired to find their own beds just yet.

 

The elder mother smiled at the children, clasping her hands with his she drew him closer  and rested her head on his shoulder. “Do you see that young one?”

 

He followed the direction of her pointing finger. “The lanterns…Elder Mother?”

“No, no, no…the children. Do you see them, running around there and on that table?”

 

“Yes I do, I will tell them to cease at once.”

 

She gripped his arm tightly and gently struck him across his fingers. “You will do no such thing. What I meant was, those children, can you see their happiness, and can you not hear their laughter.”

 

“Yes Elder Mother, I do.”

 

“That, young one...that is what I believe is the purpose; those children are the reason why we celebrate.”

 

“Forgive me elder mother, I understand…b...”

 

“But…,” She smiled up at him before removing her arm from his, she adjusted her light shawl against the chill of the night wind before starting off towards the group of children. He watched her walk a short distance before he realized she had not finished what she had started, he swore under his breathe at his ineptitude at grasping her meaning for him to follow. She stooped to pick up a stick as she approached the children, when they saw her she took up the traditional straight guard stance, approaching the enemy with her sword in her right while her left palm pressed against her wrist for added power in a quick thrust attack. The children at once formed up in a line and approached the same way, it was a massive clash of sticks when they came together, erupting in laughter and shouts of “I got you there”. In the end the Elder Mother finally surrendered, it was a feint however as she quickly grabbed the nearest child and started tickling him.

 

They were all in one pile on the ground by the time Khory finally reached. “Elder Mother!?”

 

“Khory” she looked up at him laughing and still holding the child. “Won’t you join our battle?”

 

“My apologies Elder Mother,” he smiled briefly. “But I do not think this is a wise battle for one as inexperienced as I, to take part in.”

 

“Is that a “no”? She laughed and held her arms out to him. Despite the child in her lap he managed to help her to her feet and stood by as she adjusted her shawl once more. When she was finally finished and dusted, she turned to him with a grave expression.

 

“As I was saying young one, if you truly believe we have forgotten the purpose of our celebrations, perhaps you should remind us.”

 

“Elder Mother?”

 

“Come children, Lord Khory is going to share a tale with us.”

 

“His eyes popped wide. “Elder Mother!”

 

She held the hand of the smallest child and led them over to a line of benches set around a small fire with lanterns hanging overhead for added illumination. She sat and pulled the young girl up into her lap then patted the space beside her, beckoning to him.

 

“Come now young one, don’t keep your eager audience waiting”

 

“But elder mother…I can’t…I don’t know if I…”

 

“You were there were you now?”

 

“Well yes but...”

 

“Then you are perfectly suited to tell us the tale.”

 

“But I can spin no tale Elder Mother; I do not have that gift…”

 

“I am not asking you to spin a tale young one, I am asking you to remind us of the purpose of this day. Why do we celebrate this day? Come now, sit and tell us all that happened so long ago.”

 

“Everything Elder Mother?”

 

“Yes young one, everything. Now start quickly, I am not as young as I used to be you know, as you seem to always take delight in reminding me.”

 

“No Eld…Beloved mother I do not take delight in….”

 

“You are always so easy Khory.” She laughed; even the younger children took humor in his embarrassment.

 

“Come young one,” she prompted once more. “Tell us what happened so long ago”

 

Khory’s shoulders dropped in defeat and he slowly sat beside her. The younger ones sat around them in a small circle of dirtied faces smeared with syrup and sugar and the remnants of other sweet cakes, each face also held a pair of bright expecting eyes. Khory took a deep breathe then began.

 

© 2014 Kosenjou


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

280 Views
Added on April 11, 2014
Last Updated on April 11, 2014
Tags: celebration, festive, khory, moon, elder, life

Author

Kosenjou
Kosenjou

Kingston, Jamaica



Writing
Immunity Immunity

A Story by Kosenjou