Why Only Women, And Just One Day?

Why Only Women, And Just One Day?

A Story by Suzy Hazelwood
"

Sorry if I upset anyone with this - if you're someone who takes International Women's Day very seriously, - it's just my feeling. I hate these days for celebrating specific subjects.

"



There can’t be hardly a day left on the calendar that isn’t marked to celebrate something or another.  Maybe I’m boring, but I don’t get these ‘special days’ to celebrate a certain subject.


Last week ‘International Women’s Day’ was celebrated which has been observed since the early 1900's.  I can fully understand it being relevant in those early days, women were almost completely ignored pretty much all round the world.

I’m sure there are still women who are ignored today, but how does one celebratory day in the year make any difference to that problem?  It doesn’t.  It’s such an illusion.

I would rather celebrate people, all humanity.  Women and men are both relevant everyday of the year, every minute of the day and shouldn’t be celebrated separately as if they are a different species.

I feel celebrating them separately is encouraging the continuation of a divide between the two, not equality.  And why only one day?  What about every other day of the year?

Shouldn’t we be celebrating whatever we want and whenever, instead of being sheep who are told which day and what to celebrate?



I wrote this last week for my Tumblr blog, and after reading what I'd said, my brother came across an amusing article in the Daily Mail.  It certainly summed up the madness of the day, or perhaps I should say... the meaninglessness of the day?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3483185/SARAH-VINE-Smugness-Women-s-Day-drives-insane.html

Image: Jairo Alzate (Unsplash)

© 2016 Suzy Hazelwood


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Much of what you write I agree wholeheartedly upon - is not a single day that cures an ill but a lifetime. However maybe these 'special' days nudge, remind, highlight the need for empathy not just when it suits but NOW, right NOW.. do it.. and, then, make a note for next year and ad infinitum

Your post is so very sincere, you've maybe thought and mulled then - -written because you NEED to and that's so very commendable.

Posted 8 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Suzy Hazelwood

8 Years Ago

I think you're right to some extent, some people do find these days help to remind, but for the majo.. read more



Reviews

This reminds me of something I once asked my mother when I was a child. After observing a mother's day and father's day on the calendar, I simply asked her why there wasn't a children's day. She told me it's children's day everyday!

...and I never understood the selective-ness of having a Valentine's day. I thought it only brought attention to those who were not so lucky in love, right?

Great perspective, Suzy!

Posted 7 Years Ago


It's a man world but it's nothing without a woman...i agree humanity is above all... Bravo!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Suzy Hazelwood

7 Years Ago

Thank you! I'm not entirely convinced it is a man's world these days, maybe when it comes to big bu.. read more
I pay no attention to any of it except for St Patrick's Day. I got me some green cheese this year.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Roland Petrov

8 Years Ago

You don't corn your own beef? Oh my God!
Suzy Hazelwood

8 Years Ago

Noooo!!! The skill of corning your own beef....not quite sure when that died it was so long ago! I.. read more
Suzy Hazelwood

8 Years Ago

Oh, and it looks like this -> http://www.hiwtc.com/photo/products/14/01/41/14161.jpg
i totally agree with you. it is boardering on ridiculous all these days for this and days for that...so many it takes any specialness out of anything as far as i'm concerned. As you said, it was understandable when they first begain achieving equality and rights etc but i think people need to get a grip now..as women if we are 'all that' then we don't need to keep reminding ourselves or anyone else.i do believe, like many other people in this workd woment have and are being treated unfairly but rather than doing these days surely there is more productive ways to keep going for equality etc. well done for having 'the balls' ;) to stand and say something..not of course..that we will make any diffeerence either haha but well written and interesting topic. full marks :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Suzy Hazelwood

8 Years Ago

Yes, it is getting ridiculous now! I heard a great list read out on a radio programme recently just.. read more
You make a very good point, and one that reflects thoughts similar to my own. There are many of these "special days" that I feel no enthusiasm for. Some of them, I have to go along with or risk getting in trouble.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Suzy Hazelwood

8 Years Ago

Thank you Samuel, it's good to know I'm not alone the lack of enthusiasm! I know what you mean abou.. read more
I agree with the divisiveness that such days bring, no matter how well intentioned. Like Mothers and Fathers day, the love and care received is given all year round, so why is it limited to one day a year? Christmas, once meaningful, has now been relegated to the basement leagues of what will I get, rather than being about giving, and the shops have been full of easter eggs since Christmas, and has become a chocolate holiday that has lost it's original meaning entirely.
International women's day should be the day that women get the credit they deserve for what they do all year round and not the public relations event that it seems to be.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Suzy Hazelwood

8 Years Ago

I remember loving to make gifts for mothers and fathers day when I was little girl, it seemed such a.. read more
alifeacoustic

8 Years Ago

I'm definitely googling chocolate Jesus now. But I do agree, just look at who people follow these da.. read more
Suzy Hazelwood

8 Years Ago

Haha...yes, a very little bunch of lemmings!! :oD
Much of what you write I agree wholeheartedly upon - is not a single day that cures an ill but a lifetime. However maybe these 'special' days nudge, remind, highlight the need for empathy not just when it suits but NOW, right NOW.. do it.. and, then, make a note for next year and ad infinitum

Your post is so very sincere, you've maybe thought and mulled then - -written because you NEED to and that's so very commendable.

Posted 8 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Suzy Hazelwood

8 Years Ago

I think you're right to some extent, some people do find these days help to remind, but for the majo.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

543 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 13, 2016
Last Updated on March 13, 2016
Tags: essay, women, celebrate, life

Author

Suzy Hazelwood
Suzy Hazelwood

United Kingdom



About
Writer of poetry, short stories and blogger on WordPress and Tumblr. Also editor of a free online literary magazine ➬ thewritinggarden.wordpress.com Find Me On Twitter ➬ https://twi.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..