Secret Spring

Secret Spring

A Story by S. C. McDaniel
"

A cute little story to warm everyone up!

"

I was always watching him, though he never seemed to see me. That knowledge always made me want to hold up a sign saying “Hey! I'm over here!”.He always got the same coco as me, with a request for extra whipped cream. I think we both had a yearning to be reminiscent of childhood. I loved him then, for the first time I think. In the cold bittersweet air of December, months before spring would bloom for love, I fell so deeply that I never wished to find my way back up again.


From my window seat, in the corner of our usual coffee shop and its warm scents of coffee beans and caramel, I watched him order before sitting at a table on the opposite side of the room. The usual satin of his voice was rough. 'Are you tired?' he looked displeasedly at his coco, the whipped cream was piled so high it was melting and dripping down the side of his usual dark green mug. He always brought his own mug with him. 'Are you fond of it? Or was it just something you are bothered over?'


He picked up his spoon and shoved a frustrated dollop of whipped toping in his mouth. I wonder what is making him so upset. I never wanted him to be upset. Then again I would never want anything to change his always pleasant mood. But I guess he is human, and things change. I can accept that.


He looked up towards my general direction, and I averted my gaze to the window I was gently leaning against. My flustered reflection returned my stare. Wide Hazel eyes, rimed with dark long lashes fervently pleaded not to be discovered, I bit at my full lower lip, as if the gesture would save me from calling out in alarm from being seen. I brushed my long brunette curls over my cheeks, as I knew they were bright red, and I hoped people would think it was from the warm air of the coffee shop in contrast to the frigid gusts that awaited outside.


I chanced a glance back towards him. He is watching me now! I looked away quickly before our eyes could meet. What am I going to do now? I was caught in the act and worse, I had been doing the same thing for two months. There was no way he had never not ever once seen me too. Oh god, he probably thinks I'm a stalker!


I fixed my eyes on my own white and pink striped cup. I had the same habit of bringing my own. The hidden spring flower on the inner rim was bright pink and prominent in my coco's half drank state of being. I needed to refresh my supply.


I got up silently keeping my eyes down before moving, cup in hand and eyes to my quickly moving feet as I made my way towards the cashier at the counter.


Before an inevitable impact, a pair of strong hands braced my shoulders. He is wearing a midnight blue sweater today. I look up at him in surprise. He gives me a smile that is a mixture of amusement and a gruff frustration that I had heard from him as he ordered earlier.


“You should keep your eyes straight ahead, no matter how interesting your shoes may be.” Was he picking on me? Or was this his way of making idle chatter?


“Yeah, I'll keep that in mind.” My voice didn't falter! I am so proud of myself!


I tried to back up a pace. His grip was reluctant as he backed away too. We looked at each other again, this time eventually letting our eyes meet. I felt myself panicking. Loosing myself in his dark blue eyes. They matched so well with his dark short hair, and midnight blue sweater.


I decided then that I was making a fool of myself, and promptly turned to the young female cashier who was watching attentively not sure of what else to do.


“Can I refill that for you, Savannah?” I really did come here way to often. Its bad when the part time employees know your name.


“Yeah, um, that would be great.”


“Extra whipped cream again?” I nodded, very aware of the eyes that were boring a hole into the back of my knitted green turtleneck dress.


“should I charge it to your tab?” A hand found a home on my shoulder as I was mid nod.


“I'll cover for her refill.” My point of fascination handed over a debit card.


“You don't have to do that.” I turned to meet eye to eye with a very close blue clad chest. I, in turn, backed into the counter.


“Well, what if I want to?” His voice was all satin again, as it should be, though maybe a bit playful too.


I turned around and took my refill from the cashier. I didn't know weather I really wanted to turn around to meet him again. I was still embarrassed about being caught in my little act of watching him. But just as my inner dialog was screaming at me, a hand encircled mine, and led me gently to a table, and then to a chair across from a forest green coffee mug.


He sat down across from me then, and began stirring the last of his whipped cream into his coco. Without looking at me he spoke.


“I don't know how to say this. I thought you would never notice me.”


I was beyond baffled.


“I have seen you everyday for two months and from the moment I saw you all I wanted to do was to meet you.”


Being baffled led to being dumbstruck.


“Wait, you, have been watching me, for two months?” I stammered while lifting a generous amount of whipped cream to my lips with my index finger.


“I know, I know, I must sound like a stalker...but I promise I'm not! I just...I fell” I was speechless.


“I don't know how else to describe it. I know I must sound crazy, but...”


I couldn't help myself, I laughed.


“Y-yeah, I guess I deserved that.” He looked down at his coco, all the creamy goodness gone.


“No, I actually understand. To be honest you pretty much quoted my inner dialog.” I said with a smile, while grabbing his spoon that had been set on a napkin and taking half of my whipped goodness, and placing it in his mug.


“You have no idea just how much I understand.”


He smiled a goofy, boyish, little smile. I found another thing to love about him.


“I guess this means we have more than coco in common?” He asked while keeping that smile that I was learning to love more and more.


I returned it as I raised my cup towards my lips, and watched him from over the rim, where he lined up with my secret pink spring flower.


“I agree, much more”

© 2011 S. C. McDaniel


Author's Note

S. C. McDaniel
Please leave a review if you read this! I always appreciate feedback!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This was very cute. Not alot of stories out there with just the right amount of humor and sweet love. Just in time for Valentine's Day too, I might add.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

161 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 3, 2011
Last Updated on February 3, 2011

Author

S. C. McDaniel
S. C. McDaniel

Jupiter, FL



About
Well, I am an energetic, young, romantic woman. Who has been writing for as long as I can remember! more..

Writing