Nanny's Nightmare

Nanny's Nightmare

A Story by AllGall
"

Beans will be spilt at tonight's dinner. Based on a true story.

"

It was a chilly morning in October. I almost didn’t wake up until I realized that the day was finally here. I raced downstairs, jumping over a few to get to the kitchen faster.

 

“Good morning!” Three voices announced. Those voices being, my Mom, her sister Andrea, whom I call Nanny, and Nanny’s daughter, Ashley.

 

“Allie! Allie!” A tiny little voice pepped and ran to me. Ashley’s daughter, little, three-year-old Alanine.

 

Alanine, Ashley and Nan are all staying at our home as part of a big family reunion that I’ve waited the entire year for. Most of my family lives in Louisiana. Some of our motley crew I haven’t seen since I was just Alanine’s age. The gang came a few days early so they can catch a glimpse of the Virginian countryside and check out the local wineries. Finally, Today’s the day of the big finish. A big family feast.

 

While I wolfed down some scrambled eggs, I hear mom loudly giggling with her sister. Whenever their together again, Nanny always says something that bursts the two into hysterics. Even when they facetime, you’ll hear their laughter in every corner of the home. Really, you’ll hear everything thar talking about except what they were cracking up about. I interrupt their conversation to get in on the action.

 

“Last night,” Mom tried to speak but burst into hysterics.

 

Nan had no choice but to say it for her, “I had a dream that I remarried my ex-husband.”

 

“And he proposed to her with a guy’s ring!” Mom chortled

 

Nan was so embarrassed; she could barely talk about it. Mom continues to snicker.

 

Nan continues the story, “When I woke up, I said to myself, I hope that guy’s having nightmares about me just like I am about him.” 

 

We all laughed together.

 

“Well, enough with the comedy routine,” said Mom, “Let’s get ready for our dinner!”

 

The rest of that morning was spent cooking the meals, enlarging the table, and having some fun with Aline by having her ride the footstool wile pushing it into the living room. Dad was not a fan of the last activity. He didn’t want the floor scratched.

 

At last, the guests arrived! I headed downstairs. Faster than ever before. I welcomed our first few gests. Most of the people coming in now are male, middle-aged to elderly relatives. Their wives are coming in a few hours so we can’t eat until they arrive. All I have to do is find a way to connect with this older crew I haven’t seen in years. I sat at our extended table and eavesdropped on all the various 50 something’s conversions. Desprtetly thinking of something to say. But my mind was blank. Mom and her other sisters-in law reminisced about the days we lived in Louisiana. We talked about the days of crossing the St. Charles Parish bridge over the Mississippi River to go just about anywhere. While I do remember some things from that time. Those warm memories had faded enuf that I couldn’t think of anything to talk about in the moment. We were all missing the taste of gumbo and Cane’s drive-thru chicken. Only one of which was on our dinner menu tonight. Then, Aunt Lana remembered a small doughnut shop back home. At first, I couldn’t hear what they were saying.

 

“What did you say, again?” I asked.

 

“We’re talking about Mr. Charlie’s old doughnut shop,” answered Aunt Lana. “You know, Nanny’s Ex?”

 

“Oh,” I paused. “You know, Nanny had this weird dream where she remarried…”

I started to tell only to hear Nan’s scream,

 

“Aw, No! No! No! Don’t tell them that! Don’t tell them that!”

 

I continued in spite of Nan’s plea to stop, How else am I supposed to connect with these old geysers. “Nan dreamed about remarrying her ex, and he proposed with a guy’s ring!”

 

Nan admitted to the fantasy in defeat. The whole party burst into light-hearted laughter. I’m glad I found something to entertain the masses.

 

© 2021 AllGall


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

71 Views
Added on March 11, 2021
Last Updated on March 11, 2021
Tags: Funny, comedy, Family, food, True story

Author

AllGall
AllGall

Purcellville, VA



About
I'm trying to be an artist. Im very visual so expect a short screenplay from me sometime. more..

Writing