Cycles

Cycles

A Poem by Jacki Hale
"

The process of falling down and not caring if you’re eaten by animals but eventually listening to enough Jack Johnson to get yourself psyched up enough to find a bottle of pinot noir and carry on.

"

I needed you and you were never there.

Let me rephrase that.

I needed you and you were there once, but then every time after that, it was a severe disappointment because you were never there again.

 

You held my hand when we were walking down the street.

One day you kept your hands at your sides.

And when I tried to hook my little finger with yours, you put your hands in your pockets and acted like you had no idea what I was trying to do.

 

We couldn’t keep our bodies off each other.

Especially in public.

But one day you looked at me and I could tell there was nothing left there but a few vapors of what we once had.

 

And I knew it was done.

 

There was a time when I never cried in front of anyone.

Not anymore.

Give me one reason to cry and I will probably find five more and elaborate upon them with overzealous hyperventilation because you were never supposed to make me feel this way.

 

In the natural order of events, I moved to an island.

Literally.

And I decided to go looking for my missing pieces and fill the spaces you took from me without giving anything back.

 

I started climbing mountains and swimming in oceans.

And I fell in love.

But not in the same fashion as before, but more like falling in love with what I hadn’t been doing for the past 3 years.

 

And I knew it was done.

 

I was finished with what you left me with in place of myself.

An empty shell.

So I threw it away and gingerly stepped out wearing nothing but my raw skin which ached and burned as I moved on.

 

But my new skin is growing in quite nicely and with a better complexion.

Thank God.

And now all I think about is when I can get back into the water or back on the mountains so I can stretch my arms out like sunshine and circle the world.

 

Before you wouldn’t even hold my hand or touch my face.

F**k you.

In this cycle I’ve hit the ground and rolled around until I was able to pick myself up and move along, so in the end your stupid games never really worked on me.

© 2011 Jacki Hale


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

84 Views
Added on February 7, 2011
Last Updated on February 7, 2011

Author

Jacki Hale
Jacki Hale

Chicago, IL



About
My name is Jacki And I have lots of spare time So I'll join this site. more..

Writing