"What is art?"

"What is art?"

A Story by Sydney Dreama
"

My thoughts and feelings on art

"
The other day I was playing with a little girl who lives near me.She is 6 years old and we shall call her Jane. As I was playing with Jane she asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I sat there looking at her for a minute. My first thought was I was an adult. I had been living on my own for years and gone to college. When I thought why did she think I was not grown up yet. So before I could think anything else I asked her just that. " I'm not a grown up?" I asked. She looked at me her big green eyes saying " why would you ask that?". But then she thought for a moment about what I had said and said to me " because you play with me". For her us running around in her yard playing princess meant I was little. The way I would sit there and just make up silly words with her for hours meant I was little. 
For many of you this might seem silly. But think about how many adults you know who would have gotten mad when a child said this. They would have then made it clear to Jane that they were the grown up and they are the boss.But I love Jane and found this to be very interesting so I went on as so " well don't you're parents play with?' ( I asked). 
" yes, but not like you. They are always else were... They don't really get it" Jane said letting out a sigh.Jane's parents love her dearly and take as much time as they can to play with her.Jane's mother Sarah had always said that when she plays with Jane its great because " i only have to use half my brain. I just listen here and there and say a little and Jane is happy as can be". But what she did not know was that Jane saw all this. Jane one way or another could feel her mother was only half there. 
" but you do. you always know what i'm doing and how to play with me" Jane said smiling brightly showing me the big hole were her front tooth had been just a few days ago.
" Don't I look like a grown up?" I ask. Jane put her barbie down and put her hands in her laps. something she only did when she was very focused. 
" Yes. But looking like a grown up is different. Henry looks grown up but his not.same with you" Jane says. 
" ahh but Jane I am a grown up. and I already do something as grown as grown up" I said. I was a little shocked when Jane did not get up set instead she said " what do you do?"
" I'm an artist" I said smiling.  
" How are you an artist?" Jane asked. 
And this is were this whole story has been leading up to. The big thing that got me thinking. What makes someone an artist? Is it a state of mind? Is it the work you create? Is it being in art shows and selling your pieces? I'm an artist who has never sold a piece. never gone to an art show never been much of anything. I have not taken an huge art classes. I did not go to college for art or art history. So why do I think I'm an artist? Because there is nothing more in the world that makes me happy. There is nothing I want more than to make art. When I broke my right arm and could not hold a pen the worst part of all of it was not being able to create art. Its my cure for everything. When I can not sleep I draw. When i am angry I mess with clay.When I am thoughtful and unsure I paint. I go to what I know best. The mixing of the colors. the smooth movement of the brush. The sound of the pencil on paper. 
The way that I can poor my heart and soul in to my work. That in my art I am free. No one judges me. Its not even like writing where I listen to what people say and do my best to hear them out. With my art  I listen and if I don't like what they say i don't do it. I let my heart and my feelings guide me. I just do what I feel I need to. 
I put on music and set the mood and then I get lost. I might cry I might laugh. I might get so mad that I rip the paper. But it does not matter.Because its me. My art is me showing the word who I really am no holding back. I might suck I might never sell a piece a day in my life but I don't care. I'm an artist because I am open minded. I believe in peace and that we can make things better. I believe in true love. I believe in feelings and thoughts.
I believe in so much at one time that my mind can not hold all the things it sees. So I draw them real and "fake". I don't know what true art is. I don't know a lot. I know you are sick of my writing but I know that in art there is a message. one that the world can see and feel. 
then while I was writing this I started to think about what is art? Its something that no one has really answered for me. I once heard that art is anything that makes you stop and think. And I like that answer. But I think that there is more to it. Art is anything that goes deeper.Art is when you stop and think and are open to everything that is out there in the world. That in this time when you stop being rushed and stop living by everyone else and you are open. You are open to whatever is greater than you and you are open to every human and living thing. That in this moment  you are open to seeing where you have been wrong. And are open to change. That is art. that is why we need art.To stop us when nothing else will. There is so much art. Art for everyone so that they may see it. so that they can change and see the world as it and do something about it.Because is that not why we are here.Is it not our job to do the best we can. To forgive and to help those who have not had our good luck? I know I sound like bible ( or your holy book or spirt leader- whatever it is you believe in or have been raised to believe in) but is there not some truth to this? To the fact that we can make things better if we just try? I'm not saying that we should let people walk all over us but can't we try.Because its a lot easier to sleep at night knowing that you are safe. And the more good we do the safer we and the people we love are. We no longer have to worry. Once we take care of the big problems we can spend more time eating ice cream and watching movies in yoga pants. 
That is why I write. Why I paint because I am open to the things and people I see not in my minds eye but in my heart and soul.Because when i make art I do not see people with my eyes I do not sketch them to look like them selfs I show who they are on the inside their feelings. I draw in a child like way to show others that children see the world more clearly than we do because they see it with their hearts and not their eyes.I do it so in a world of always trying to push a head and do more than the next guy that we do not forget what it was like to be little. What is was like before darkness and shadow found its way in to our minds. Back to the age when love was everything and magic could happen if you just believed. So that someday the world will be better.that some day we will be open to people believing in different gods and will not teach our children to hate.
We have come so far and change so much- both for better and for worse. That its time we open up and see things from the other side. That we walk in their shoes before we hate them and judge them unfairly.

© 2013 Sydney Dreama


Author's Note

Sydney Dreama
Still working on it just a ruff draft but please do share your thoughts

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

187 Views
Added on March 13, 2013
Last Updated on March 14, 2013
Tags: Child, Art, Learning, insight, growth, babysitting

Author

Sydney Dreama
Sydney Dreama

About
I'm a young artist who is just trying to get through each and everyday. Writing is how I let go of my troubles and relive my joys. more..

Writing
ONE ONE

A Story by Sydney Dreama