Fraker the Axe & The Peeper Cake

Fraker the Axe & The Peeper Cake

A Story by Tim Willard
"

Just a quite vignette from the upcoming Tales of the Axe

"
     The restaurant was only a few hours from the Great Northern Gate by foot and was often patronized by wealthy merchant princes and nobility who oversaw the dealings of their trade caravans personally. It was well known for tasty and exotic dishes, and served only cliental that not only could afford their prices but also fit in with the genteel décor. 

     Which made Fraker sitting against one wall and tearing apart a gravy soaked stuffed turkey with his fingers and wiping his hands on a large shaggy war-dog completely out of place. Many nobles who didn’t recognize the hero shook their heads and muttered to one another about how disgraceful it was for the restaurant to serve whatever they thought Fraker was, from a giant spawn, to a particularly ugly ogre, to a freakish mercenary. Many of the lesser nobility present was outraged at the fact that Fraker had simply walked up, shown his life-mark on his palm to the maître d’ and had been shown to a table that was normally reserved for very few VIP’s.

     The fact that Fraker’s Step-Mother, the Eternal Elba Quarryn, not only owned the restaurant, but had supervised the work crew that had built it when the very bones of Novak had been laid, had helped build it with her own two hands, was unknown to all but the management. When the Eternal Elba’s most favored son arrived, the staff was more than pleased to serve him, and through him, his Step-Mother and their liege.

      Most of the restaurant was taken up by a private party, nobility of the High House of Novak, aristocrats who could trace their bloodline to the soldiers who had marched with Eck the Anvil out of the Valley of the Stacked Skulls to take control of the huge city. The rest was taken up by lesser nobility, members of the Low House, who wanted to be at the party.

      The House of Jarmo was celebrating the marriage of one of their nieces to a young Count of the House of Vohnar, a marriage of heart rather than political or economic leverage, set up and approved by the Haut Ton itself. The bride and groom were not present for the after marriage party, but that was customary, since a newly married couple had better things to do than attend the whirlwind of dinners, parties, and celebrations in their honor. Most of which concerned expanding the bloodline.

      Two tables over Grand Matron Vohnar had noticed Fraker being seated and had made the unmarried men and women switch tables with the elderly members of the families in order to keep those members of the family who were unmarried away from the legendary hero. The family members had changed places while while a large dog had been led in to sit next to Fraker. Now she sat, wrapped in crimson silk edged with silver shimmersilk, and watched him eat, nodding to herself as the hero stripped the turkey to the bones, once in awhile slipping small strips of meat to the small Peeper hiding in the pouch on his belt. While most men a large belt pouch was the size of a man’s hand, the pouch on Fraker’s belt was roughly large enough to fit a baked turkey into it, leading the Grand Matron to believe that the Peeper had plenty of room to make a nest in the pouch, and so was not being mistreated. The fact that she could hear it purring as it rubbed its head against the hero’s linen shirt was proof of that, as was its obvious affection toward the fearsome warrior.

      The House of Vohnar remembered their debt to the Peeper’s ancestors, and Grand Matron Vohnar would not countenance to anyone mistreating the baby lizards, even the Favored Son of the Thorn Lord herself.

      Fraker was unaware of the gray-haired scrutiny as he pushed away the bones of the turkey after he had cracked the bones open and sucked out the marrow then started in on devouring a bowl of Novak Fire-Clam Chowder, relishing the heavy spices and thick and crunchy pepper kernels. He dipped the sour-dough bread, made from naka milk, into the bowl, feeding pinches of the chowder soaked bread to the Peeper at his waist, smiling when it sneezed after every bite. Fraker knew that while it was tart and spicy to him the Peeper would find it sweet to its non-human taste.

      The Grand Matron turned her attention from the hero, and her memories of having been seduced by him decades before, as the head chef and his assistants came out of the kitchen bearing the wedding cake. It was three layers, each layer separated from the others by thick sugar crystals carved to look like nymphs and painted with a thin layer of frosting. Each layer was almost a foot thick, decorated with artfully carved frosting, thin layers of gold and silver to make designs of the sigils of the two houses intertwined, and representing enough money to buy a nice house. The cake layers were alternating rich chocolate and creamy vanilla, each layer separated by strepple-berry jam and naka-pudding, with candied berries baked into the cake.

      “That cake costs more than most peasants will see in a year.” One of the younger girls, a member of the House of Jarmo, giggled to the other maids. The Grand Matrons of both houses frowned disapprovingly at her snide tone toward the very people who filled the coffers of the families and made the city what it was. It was one thing to have such prejudices privately, it was the uncouth and ill-bred who voiced them.

      “And tastes better than most of them will ever smell.” Another girl laughed, this one from the House of Vohnar, unaware that the Matrons of the houses had heard her and made mental note. The young women didn’t know it, but the marriages that they’d be considered for had just dropped dramatically in status and importance until they learned some manners and decorum. Both young women had spoken such many times, and currently the ladies of the houses who sat on the Tons would not even consider them for marriages to anything more important than the second or third wife of a city accountant, much less someone as important as a commoner.

      “In honor of the union of the members of your noble houses, the House of the Love of Feast would like to present you with this humble token, a sign of respect from Foreman Elba to two such important houses who have never forgotten their roots and duties.” The maître d’ announced waving the four assistant cooks carrying the massive cake on an engraved and bejeweled silver platter. The head cook walked alongside the cake, beaming with pride as the cake was his invention, a creation that had earned him a permanent stipend from the Eternal Elba and he had been allowed to inscribe the recipe and cooking directions into her cookbook himself. Those who knew the Eternal knew that her cookbook was more precious to her than even her spellbook and was protected and preserved with more numerous and powerful magics than most had guarding their vaults.

      “Naka pudding to remind us of the humble roots of those who crafted the bones of our great city, strepple-berry jam to honor the work of the Kobolds, chocolate to remind us of the darkness of the Lich King rule, vanilla to remind us of the purity of life itself. “ The Head Cook stated as the massive cake was set onto the table. With a flourish he tossed a sprinkle of glittering sugar onto the cake and proclaimed “TA-DAH!”

      Fraker had just glanced up as the sugar flew through the air to land on the cake as everyone had begun oohing and ahhing appreciably over it. He realized with a sinking sensation that the Peeper that had decided to take possession of his belt pouch had its mouth hanging open and was making the muffled cough sounds of Peeper laughter.

      The cake shivered for a second before tiny lizard heads popped out of the cake, their long necks allowing their heads to stick out an inch or two from the frosting, the thick frosting atop their heads like white hair. Their heads were cocked at an angle, their little eyes open, their ears flared out, and their natural smiles wide. A dozen were on the lowest layer, six on the middle layer, and a bronze and silver erupting from the top layer.

      “TA-DAH!” They all squeaked out.

      “Aw, ox-biscuits.” Fraker murmured as everyone at the table began screaming in surprise. The Matriarchs and Patriarchs of the family began laughing uproariously, the children shrieking with joy and laughing, and the adults exclaiming in horror.

      The Peepers burst from the sides of the cake, swarming out of cake covered in frosting, their stomachs plumped out so many of them waddled ungainly, and immediately streaming under the tables all in one direction.

      Toward Fraker.

      As the hollowed and ruined cake slowly and stately collapsed upon itself, Fraker could feel the little clawed feet trample over the top of his boots, and knew where they were going. Back into the basket. A glance down showed that the lid was slightly cocked, allowing a large enough space for the Peepers to get out, and the leather thong used to latch the lid had been chewed through. He saw the silver Peeper lead the way, tossing the bejeweled gold pepper shaker into the basket before she squirmed in after it.

      Chairs and tables were upending, dishware shattering on the floor, silverware flying through the air, and people were scrambling to get out of the way, many of them shouting in confusion or screaming in fear. At the far side of the restaurant an elderly gentleman with a magnificent and aggressive white beard thrust himself to his feet, raising his engraved and inlaid cane, and shouting a word of power. The table’s edge disintegrated as the arcane master’s defenses sprang into being, the razor sharp shards of metal appearing around him in a glittering whirling cloud, blue and purple fire covering his skin which turned a dark gray with a pebbled and rough appearance. As his arcane defenses leapt into place his beard bristled and crackled with sparks of arcane energy.

       The bronze Peeper was last into the basket, and Fraker saw it carrying a jewel encrusted silver salt shaker. It tossed the shaker into the basket and climbed in, and the lid was pulled back into position almost before the bronze lizard’s tail had slithered into the safety of the basket.

      Fraker nudged the basket with his boot, pushing it more behind him, and watched as chaos enveloped the entire restaurant. Two spellcasters were duking it out with magic, flinging complex and deadly magics at one another as they guarded themselves at the same time. Two warriors, each bearing the marks of martial holy orders, were rolling around the floor, cutlery in their hands, each fully intent on killing what they were convinced was a sneak attack by a member of a hated rival church. The older man had summoned up guardians from the stone of the floor itself, the eyes of molten rock watching for any threat to the bearer of the magnificent beard that had summoned them. The Head Cook was still standing where he had been presenting the cake, his expression one of horror, and his face and clothing covered in frosting. From the looks of it, Fraker figured that the lizards had almost completely hollowed out the cake layers, leaving only enough of the bottom layer to support their weight and pillars of cake to support the layer above.

      It required long minutes, and threats of the Hammers being called into the restaurant, to calm things down and restore order to the dining room. Almost a dozen people had been badly injured, and healers from the Church of Kaa Iron Eye had been called in to treat the injuries. Several people had left, furiously stomping out amid threats of legal action and refusal to pay their bills, and the maitre-d had been forced to allow many of the patrons to not only receive the meal they had ordered for free, but also receive a reservation and another free meal.

      Finally everything was settling down, with the tables, chairs, and dinnerware being replaced. People were returning to their meals, the Patriarchs and Matriarchs of the two noble families had restored order among their families under the watchful eyes of the two Grand Matrons, and the old man was grumpily accepting a cup of hot mint and pepper-oil tea after dismissing his miniature stone guardians, his aura of power still faintly simmering around him. His beard, of course, had been completely aloof to the near-brawl that had enveloped the dining area, instead swaying and bushing with authority and magnificence mere mortal concerns could never approach.

      Fraker had scooped up his basket as everything calmed down and was moving toward the exit, muffled peeping and squeaking coming from within the basket as the Peepers celebrated their victory in making off with two containers of yummy treats, the salt and pepper as sweet as honey to their taste buds. The Peeper in his belt pouch was still watching the crowd with bright eyes, his head swiveling back and forth to take everything in.

      “Ahem.” The sound was dry and acerbic, drawing Fraker’s attention immediately.

      In front of him the tall, thin, and dapper maitre-d was staring up at Fraker with a disapproving expression on his narrow face. The man was obviously not intimidated by a man who had spent decades on the battlefield and fought his way out of the Halls of the Dead. Nor was he intimidated by the fact that Fraker stood a good three feet higher than him, and massed enough to make at least four of him.

      The Peeper ducked back into the belt pouch with a small chagrined peep as Fraker stopped dead in his tracks before the maitre-d.

      “Were those young ones in your care, sirrah?” The man asked, one hand on his hip and the other motioning at the basket.

      “Uh… no?” Fraker said, feeling sweat bead on his forehead.

      “Really?” The man asked, narrowing his eyes as if he was looking at a deadbeat diner. “May I ask what is in the basket?”

      “Umm… severed heads?” Fraker lied, knowing he was starting to blush.

      “Is that so? Do the heads still live and are still making noise, milord?” the maitre-d wondered, then glanced down at the Peeper that was peeking out of the pouch. It made a squeak and ducked back in. “May I look in the basket, Lord Fraker, or did you gather the heads for your Step-Mother in order for her to interrogate them?”

      Fraker resisted the urge to mop his brow, twisting one foot back and forth slightly. “Um… no?”

      “And why not, Milord?”

      “They’re, uhh… sleeping! Yeah, they’re asleep, and I wouldn’t want to wake them!” Fraker blurted out.

      “The severed heads are sleeping, or are you claiming that the young ones you denied were in there are sleeping?” The maitre-d raised one eyebrow, and Fraker hung his head. “They are in your care, aren’t they, Milord?”

      “Yes, I’m taking them to a village for my Step-Mother.” Fraker admitted.

      “For shame, Milord, your Step-Mother would be ashamed of you lying like an errant schoolboy holding a sweetbun behind his back.” The maitre-d chided, and Fraker knew he was flushing deeply.

      “I’m sorry.” The legendary hero murmured. “Don’t tell my Step-Mother.” The massive man half-pleaded.

      “I’m sure we can come to an arrangement, Milord.” The maitre-d said, then stepped to the side and waved at the door at the back of the dining area. “Step into my office, Lord Fraker, and we’ll discuss ways to handle this unfortunate incident and uphold your honor, your Step-Mother’s honor, and the honor of this establishment.”

© 2010 Tim Willard


Author's Note

Tim Willard
Just a little cut from the pre-rough draft edit.

I just makes me smile for some reason

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

164 Views
Added on August 14, 2010
Last Updated on August 14, 2010
Tags: Peepers, Fraker the Axe

Author

Tim Willard
Tim Willard

Medford, OR



About
Almost 40 amateur military/men's adventure/horror writer. Father of 3, some time in the Army (yawn), and all around nice guy. OK, the last part is a lie, I'm a known drunk, a womanizer, and have been .. more..

Writing