A young mothers's prayer

A young mothers's prayer

A Poem by TONI SMOTHERS
"

A prayer for young mothers.

"

A New Mother's Prayer

  Dear Father God, tears swell and my heart aches when I feel his tiny fingers   cling to me. The wonder in his eyes, his helplessness, innocence and trust, all   bombards me with the depth of his dependence on me. I think of so many failed   attempts to conform myself for You �" So many broken vows, angry words, lost   chances, unkind actions. Can it be possible that I will be the one to shelter   and instruct another? How will I fulfill the enormity of nurturing this  precious  child?

My Lord, you know all of my weaknesses. Help me to find victory  over them for my child’s sake. Put within me a new heart, as clean as his is, so  that we may begin together. Give me the desire to sacrifice  willingly and to  discipline myself totally. Let the confidence you have shown by placing this  blessed child in my care, become my own.

I seek your counsel in every  moment and every decision I make. Recreate me, Father, to be 
like a stained  glass window, allowing Jesus, the light of the world, to pierce  the colors that  are me until we blend and shine through with love �" A steady  sunbeam to glow  before my child as he grows. Fill me with a passion for your Word and elevate my  soul towards You so that I may gain the wisdom and patience  his mistakes will  demand. Let my love be freely given - With no trace of it  hoarded away in any  dark, selfish corner of my heart. But if in my weakness I 
should fail him,  reassure his "heart- of-hearts", that he is always cherished �"  No mistake, no  failure, nothing, can separate Him from Your love for him.

My fear is  great at times, knowing that my little son will be  watching and learning from me �" It doubles the burden of my imperfections.  Please don’t let my faults stain  his chances. Give him the courage to realize  the great strength found in  weakness; his need to turn his struggles over to  you so that his lower instincts  to embrace sin will have no power over him.  Show him, rather, how to draw power  from Your Throne.

Lord, I implore  you to inspire my teaching. Give me the  depth of understanding and the total 
acceptance of who You have created him to  be. Show me how to nurture his  dependence on You, which will form a healthy  self-esteem in him. Deliver him  from temptation, making him capable of  withstanding whatever Satan throws at  him. Let nothing in this world ever  devastate him or separate him from his  faith in you.

Father, I dedicate  my precious little son to You as a  faithful servant to further your Kingdom. I  trust you to direct my guidance of  him so that he puts all his trust in You and  loves all humanity with a  truthful, compassionate heart. Let his faith always  give him hope and a firm  assurance that he is a child of God, unique and  invaluable to You. I ask all  this in the precious name of Jesus ... Amen.

© 2015 TONI SMOTHERS


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

182 Views
Added on August 25, 2015
Last Updated on August 25, 2015
Tags: prayer, mothers, child, children

Author

TONI SMOTHERS
TONI SMOTHERS

DELTONA, FL



About
Toni Smothers has written articles for “Total Health”, “Let’s Live”, “People In Action” and “The North American Mentor” magazines. She is a memb.. more..

Writing