D is for Dad, D is for Deed

D is for Dad, D is for Deed

A Poem by C.T. Bailey
"

Dedicated to my Step Father on his Birthday...

"

 

A father is not just blood related;
Neither is he just a family delegate;
A father is defined by his many deeds;
His work for a boy who had so many needs.
 
While there be many who might well dispute;
That a dad, is a dad only by his paternal root;
They have never walked in a certain boy’s shoes;
Says I, sternly of their very narrow views.
 
Recalling affections shown through his effort;
Discipline and teaching he did exhort;
School projects and campouts never failing;
His patience in my driving ever prevailing.
 
Through thick and thin he ensured success;
In a boy who to many seemed so useless;
And now I, a fully grown man this day;
With heartfelt thanks, my gratitude I convey.
 
Giving proof that my lessons I did not spurn;
To my son I grant years of wisdom learned;
So from your hands the message was received;
The generations remember your work achieved.
 
TBailey 7 July 2008

 

© 2008 C.T. Bailey


Author's Note

C.T. Bailey
A simple poem for someone who took care of me through the years. Not intended to be a masterpiece...only an expression from the heart.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

And heartfelt it is. Very well written too.
It is so true that what makes a 'dad' is so much more than just a blood link. It is his deeds that truly makes him a dad. You expressed it just right. The perfect amount of emotion without seeming corny.
One thing... 'thru'... don't know if it was intentional or not but I would use 'through'. I am just picky like that. Doesn't in anyway take away from the overall excellent poem.
Very nicely done!


Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Well, this expression from the heart is a beautiful work of art as well. This reminds me of that Country song (I dont' like Country music, so if I remember one, it was a good one, that had poetic power) about the man being "The Dad He Didn't Have to Be". I was raised solely by my father. My daughter's father left us in a night of violence. But now, I've found that man who I truly believe will be the dad he doesnt' have to be. The love between himself and I definitely extends to my daughter as well. Your mother was lucky, as were you, to be blessed by a good man. I am finding that there aren't many, and I'm certainly holding on to that one I've found.
Excellent piece of writing from the heart of you. It's a big heart, isn't it? It sure seems to hold alot. :)

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

And heartfelt it is. Very well written too.
It is so true that what makes a 'dad' is so much more than just a blood link. It is his deeds that truly makes him a dad. You expressed it just right. The perfect amount of emotion without seeming corny.
One thing... 'thru'... don't know if it was intentional or not but I would use 'through'. I am just picky like that. Doesn't in anyway take away from the overall excellent poem.
Very nicely done!


Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

351 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 7, 2008
Last Updated on July 11, 2008

Author

C.T. Bailey
C.T. Bailey

Bristol, VA



About
C.T. Bailey has authored a number of professional articles which have been published in various industry trade publications. He is also an award-winning and published writer of poetry, prose, and fic.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..