Give Me Five Minutes: An Essay on Being Mindful of Waste

Give Me Five Minutes: An Essay on Being Mindful of Waste

A Story by T. F. Rice

 

Give Me Five Minutes

If you are a skeptic who doesn’t believe the promises of “green energy”, often scoffing at the idea that our world needs fixing, think on this.

What if you had to keep everything you threw away on your own property? What area would you designate for compost or burial of waste? Would you be more conservative with purchases of individually wrapped items, plastic containers and other disposables… in favor of being a good steward of your own space? Yes? No?

Since when does what we throw away in our garbage leave the earth? It does stay on “our land”, but it is carted away “out of sight”. We are not reminded often of the volume of waste being produced. The long-term effects of such disposal are not included in water cooler conversations.

Think. Ideas are valuable. Mindfulness in your lifestyle choices is so grossly needed. The air that you breathe and the water you drink are not endlessly pure. Openness to discussing options is priceless, for this community and our nation. Reducing waste starts in the home.

I admit, I’m not always careful of what groceries I purchase, what cleaners I use, what type of paper goods I use, but every little bit of attention paid to awareness of our planet’s situation is a step in the right direction. Can you take a baby step? Baby steps can lead to leaps for later generations. Recycle whatever possible. Be mindful of waste. Breathe.

© 2008 T. F. Rice


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

129 Views
Added on February 9, 2008

Author

T. F. Rice
T. F. Rice

Wyoming County, NY



About
T. F. Rice lives with her husband and their teenage son in a small town in New York state in the U.S. She also lives with her creative clutter -- she presses flowers for making candles and cards, recy.. more..

Writing