Lincoln's Tragedy Unfolds

Lincoln's Tragedy Unfolds

A Poem by Tiffany K Charles

In the twilight of a nation's turmoil, on a fateful April eve, The great Abraham Lincoln bid this mortal coil to leave. A man of wisdom and compassion, a symbol of hope and might, He stood as a towering pillar, guiding a divided land toward the light.

It was the year eighteen sixty-five, a nation deeply scarred; with civil strife and battles waged, the Union was deeply marred. 
But Lincoln, with steadfast determination, Lincoln sought to mend the fray, heal a wounded nation, and pave a brighter, unified way.

Amidst the echoes of triumph, the Union's victory at hand, A grand theater in Washington welcomed the leader of the land. Little did they know that night, a tragedy would unfold, A dark and haunting chapter, forever etched and told.

As the play commenced, the crowd was engrossed in the unfolding scene; A shadowy figure stepped forth, a precursor of unforeseen. John Wilkes Booth, a man consumed by hate's venomous sting, Sought to extinguish the beacon of freedom, to silence the voice that would sing.

With a heart laden with a vengeance, he approached the President's side, And in that moment, history altered, and a nation forever sighed. A gunshot rang through the theater, piercing the air, And the room froze in disbelief, gripped by unyielding despair.

A mortal wound inflicted upon Lincoln, the gentle giant so strong, A nation's hopes and dreams shattered as darkness enveloped the crowd. He was swiftly carried to a nearby house, the echoes of chaos outside; as a nation wept and prayed, united in grief, its soul sincerely tried.

Prayers were whispered through the long and arduous night, and tears were shed as Abraham Lincoln's spirit struggled, fighting for each breath. But in the early hours of that April morn, fate had its final say, And the light of a nation dimmed as Lincoln peacefully slipped away.

Across the land, the news spread an overwhelming weight of sorrow; from the halls of Congress to the humblest home, a nation mourned the next day. A noble leader, a champion of justice, and a martyr for liberty, Abraham Lincoln's legacy is forever etched in history's tapestry.

In his death, a nation awoke, its resolve burning bright, To honor the vision he held, to stand for what was right. Like echoes from the past, his words continue to inspire, To strive for unity and equality, to lift humanity higher.

So let us remember the life of this remarkable man, Whose sacrifice resonates across time's eternal span. Abraham Lincoln is a beacon in the darkest of nights; his spirit lives on in our hearts, forever alight.

© 2023 Tiffany K Charles


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

33 Views
Added on June 9, 2023
Last Updated on June 9, 2023

Author

Tiffany K Charles
Tiffany K Charles

Miami, FL



About
"Deep within my mind...... far beyond the dark cracks and spaces .... is my mind palace.... a creepy place...... damp..... and..... there. In that palace... Is where I house all my mental information... more..

Writing