A Biography of Homer Simpson

A Biography of Homer Simpson

A Story by Tai Chi Italy
"

A British Mothers view of what 'The Simpson's' represent in the world outside the United States 500 words

"

 

 
What can we say about Homer? The equivalent cartoon character of American man? He is a dad, a husband and to most observers eyes, he’s a bit of a cad, but, he loves his Marge with a passion honest and large. He’s a typical man of America today. He takes advantage of his wife in every possible way. He’s a slob with a big gob! Shouting the odds about things his basic instinctive intellect knows nothing about. He gets himself into trouble, which dear Marge gets him out of.
     He is the father of three…a boy, Bart, as stupid as he. A girl called Lisa, full of creativity, unappreciated of course. And then there is Maggie, a baby girl who never grows up.
      Homer works at the local Nuclear plant where he sits on his arse all day until he goes to ‘Moe's’ bar and drinks ‘Duff’s’ until his stomach want to bust. But the main thing about Homer is his love of his wife and kids, and the fact that he is seen to want to improve his narrow minded insight. He is always willing to admit when he is wrong about wanting to beat Bart silly, or forgetting Maggie far too often. Or not encouraging Lisa because she’s not Bart.
 
His life starts as an under achieving boy with a father just like Homer is now, as a man. Showing us that we do follow our parents in most ways unless we try hard to be open to the new. Homer is as fickle with his friends as he is careless with his family, but his simple view of life usually gets him through all the ridiculous things we see him do. Episode after episode, a lesson to be learned, for the whole family to enjoy…porridge served warm with the honey of funny. So much easier to slide down the throats of the majority held American physic. His character, through the experiences of him and his family, deal with many social issues that other American shows tip toe around.  Issues such as sex, drugs and drink but also, most importantly, racism and inequality. Realism through the business of exporting Homer’s life to countries around the world, has been the vehicle to drive the foundations of present day, 'difficult' social sensations, back into the past. ‘Homer’ our 'Great Teacher,' bringing decency and family values, despite his obvious flaws, through irony. An impression that this writer hopes will last long enough to say goodbye to the darker aspects of a society that far too often turns a blind eye. One of the most important factors in Homer’s life that he actually got right was his choice in a partner such as Marge. They obviously married for love and did not have a pre nuptial agreement. Despite Homer’s seemed lack of consideration for his Marge.  He is always willing to listen to her ‘All knowing’ motherly logic that wins the days in most of the hundreds of episodes I have watched with my children over the past two decades. May Homer and Marge stay happily married and show us all how to get out of the mess we got ourselves into today.

 

© 2015 Tai Chi Italy


Author's Note

Tai Chi Italy
A Creative writing exercise from 2008. All feedback most appreciated

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Tai! Um, it's ironic that Homer portrays "a cad", when I whimper and sniffle at the thought of his name :)
He's an oaf, and yet we can't help to watch him stumple upon trouble each time. Maybe we relate at one level, our way of making fun of a family somewhat surreal and yet real to many of us. Great write, mishy

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
TK
Good analysis! I'm a big Simpsons fan, so I enjoyed it :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tai! Um, it's ironic that Homer portrays "a cad", when I whimper and sniffle at the thought of his name :)
He's an oaf, and yet we can't help to watch him stumple upon trouble each time. Maybe we relate at one level, our way of making fun of a family somewhat surreal and yet real to many of us. Great write, mishy

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

291 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 9, 2009
Last Updated on July 7, 2015

Author

Tai Chi Italy
Tai Chi Italy

United Kingdom



About
Just a poet, a mother and a lost lover more..

Writing