The Class

The Class

A Story by Tally
"

Simple story about a woman wanting to lose weight and the reasoning behind it.

"

 

So, here we go ……. It’s now or never I suppose.
 
The first class is always the most difficult. Standing in the queue, reading the leaflets and paraphernalia. The room is large, with a circle of chairs all facing in. There must be about fifteen others, all sitting chatting away. I feel so lonely, so isolated, I know no one here. 
 
I’m reaching the front of the queue now – the lady behind the counter looks up, asks my name, reaches in the index box and pulls out my card. I pay my money and advance to the second desk. Oh my god no! Her face is familiar, I know her – our sons have both grown up together. We first met at a post-natal class, what, must be some ten years or so ago now.
 
How embarrassing – she’s going to know what I weigh! I move on along the queue, ladies of various sizes are hopping onto the scale, some are euphoric, others are not so. “No, that can’t be right” the lady in the red moans. “I didn’t do anything wrong this week, followed it to the letter. Except for the curry take away I had on Friday, and, oh yes, I had a donner kebab on Saturday!”
 
I move on, I’m now the next but one person. I reach the scale. Mary looks at me “oh hi Sandra – didn’t expect to see you here! Do you want me to weigh you, or would you rather someone else did?” This voice sort of pops out of my head “No, no, it’s fine, not a problem!” Where the hell did that come from? I step onto the scales gingerly. Maybe if I lean slightly to the right they may read differently.
 
She quickly scribbles down some numbers and I walk away from the scales and find a chair. Then I take a look at what has been written – WHAT! Do I really weigh that much!
 
I sit there feeling quite humble. The class starts, the diet consultant says some words. What they are, I have no idea. All I can think of is Tom’s words. “You’re too fat! You need to lose some weight. I can’t be married to someone as fat as you!”
 
No, you’re right Tom. I deserve someone better! I’ll show you. I’ll lose the weight – huh – but don’t think I’ll be hanging around for you when I’m a size 12!

© 2008 Tally


Author's Note

Tally
Please be kind, this is my first venture. Let me know what you think.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I know the feeling of wanting to lose weight.. Im a cheerleader and im the biggest on my team.. Im not huge but im definitely no where near "model thin". I really enjoyed your story... :) keep up the writing you do it very well.

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

138 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 13, 2008

Author

Tally
Tally

Watford, United Kingdom



About
I am a mother of three young children. I live, with my husband and our pet dog, Lucy. I am new to writing, although I have a very lively and vivid imagination, full of ideas for stories which have a.. more..

Writing
The nights The nights

A Poem by Tally


Lady Moon Lady Moon

A Poem by Tally


Dragon's Den Dragon's Den

A Poem by Tally