Excavations

Excavations

A Story by Tally

 

I wondered where to turn next. I had tried so many many times before. I tried again once more and began to dig. I needed to find the bone, the missing bone. I looked around me and saw the remains of my past endeavours. Some of the holes had now been filled in but they didn’t look like the rest of the ground, so I knew where to start a new dig.
 
I scraped away at the earth going deeper and then to my amazement I felt something hard. I scraped frantically now, I had this feeling that this was the one, the missing bone. Carefully I lifted my treasure out of the ground.
 
Yes, success. I shook of the excess earth. The bone was perfectly preserved, just as I thought it would be. I took it over to a quiet, secluded corner and then proceeded to clean it thoroughly but carefully.
 
Once clean, the bone almost shone in the sunlight – but perhaps I over-exaggerated here, it was, after all, just a bone. But to me it meant the fulfilment of my dreams. Yes, I know it sounds silly but I had actually dreamt of it.
 
I lay on the ground just staring at it for a while. Now I had to consider exactly where I should hide it. Previously, when I had found the other bones, I had shown them off quite proudly but then, when I was distracted they’d stolen them. They had actually taken them. They must have a superb collection of them somewhere, maybe there was a profit to be had.
 
This time I was determined that this specimen would not be taken from me until I had had the time to work on it properly. I now had to find a good place to hide it. The only place I could think of was under my bed! No one would find it there surely.
 
I snook back into the building holding my head down, in the hope I would just blend in and no one would see me. I made it to my quarters, moved the bed slightly to one side, put the bone down and draped my bedding over the edge so as to conceal it out of sight.
 
I went back outside for a snooze in the sun. As I lay down I looked around me again. I was sure there would be some trouble and yet again I would get the blame. I knew that the site looked a mess I had tried to cover my tracks but it wasn’t perfect. They would rant and rave at me and send me to coventry but it was worth it.
 
I heard someone shouting my name. I looked up, it was one of them. I stood up, stretched and ran towards the building, wagging my tail. It was time for walkies.
 
“You naughty dog, you’ve been out here digging again haven’t you” the human said. I lowered my head, I could tell by the sound of his voice he wasn’t pleased.

© 2008 Tally


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

122 Views
Added on March 17, 2008

Author

Tally
Tally

Watford, United Kingdom



About
I am a mother of three young children. I live, with my husband and our pet dog, Lucy. I am new to writing, although I have a very lively and vivid imagination, full of ideas for stories which have a.. more..

Writing
The nights The nights

A Poem by Tally


Lady Moon Lady Moon

A Poem by Tally


Dragon's Den Dragon's Den

A Poem by Tally