I recalled a memory

I recalled a memory

A Story by Tamataka
"

A little memory which was forgotten of one of the nights when I was alone in a foreign country.

"

I suddenly recalled that night, in the days where I was travelling in the country I dreamed of for years. It is the one constant that never changed even through all the spices of life that kept challenging its strength. Regardless this story is not about that, it is about that night in the winter of 2020, where the cold winds of January have swept the streets of Tokyo and rain have blessed the land just that evening, giving that night a much cooler atmosphere.

         I checked through Google Maps to be sure I know where I’m going and that it is within reach. Taking the necessary items with me, I left my accommodation. The sun has set for roughly four to five hours, and the night skies are as dark as they could be. At this hour, the streets are very much devoid of people, spurring my growing unease. You see, I was just planning to find some snacks at the supermarket, trying my luck to get some items on discount as per the tips being spread for travelers. And this supermarket I am headed, it is not that far but the journey is certainly daunting. Google Maps was leading me through alleys of which their only source of light was the few lamp posts being spread around the area. I tried my best to convince myself everything will be okay. I am quite a big coward, you see. To my worst fears, I was being led to one alley where I had to pass through what seemed to me to be a graveyard on the right side of me. And so, I prayed hard that everything will be okay. The cold night air was certainly not helping to soothe my fears. But I endured and looked straight ahead. Until finally, I reached the highway again, and I was never so grateful to finally see people around again. And the supermarket was right across the street. I managed to enter right before they closed and bought some items though they were not discounted ones since I have already went this far, I cannot possibly come back empty-handed. And actually maybe, the discounted ones have already been bought by others, I will never know the answer to that.

         Going back, I tried searching for a way that does not require to use the road I came through, and luckily there was another road. I did not mind the extra distance, as long as my mind and heart is at ease as I finally reached my accommodation again. It was truly a suspenseful night I do not want to relive again.

© 2021 Tamataka


Author's Note

Tamataka
It is a simple recollection of memories that I somehow reorganized into a kind of story. Just putting it out there.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

19 Views
Added on November 17, 2021
Last Updated on November 17, 2021
Tags: story, night, travel, memory

Author