Sometimes No Answer Is Best

Sometimes No Answer Is Best

A Story by Kate

I sat staring into the darkness of the night. I find myself doing this a lot lately, now that I have an open field to sit in and think. The blackness of space always fascinated me. Just the thought of how empty the universe really is sends me into a philosophical rampage. But what if there's something else out there? Surely there has to be another galaxy, another solar system, another planet like ours. Have they fought a space race with each other as well? Waged wars, made technological advances, evolved? 
My mind wandered, and I let a single thought escape. Is anyone out there? And just imagine, to my surprise, someone answered.
Who are you, stranger?
I did nothing for a moment, stunned. Where is it? How can it hear me?
Hello? Are you reading me clear?
Out of sheer desperation, I sent out another thought.
Oh, um…yes, of course. My name is Rob, what's yours?
My name is KQ24. What galaxy are you from?
I felt like some teenager being stalked by a creepy old man. But it's not like I can call the cops on it, God knows where it is!
Where are you, if you don't mind me asking?
I come from a galaxy far away, one you have never heard of most likely. I am on a ship just above your planet as we speak.
Oh my God! This is an alien! I'm talking to an alien in space!
What are you doing here?
I have come to observe your planet and its life forms for scientific purposes. Nothing more, nothing less. Do not be afraid of me.
Yeah, like I was going to believe that. Christopher Columbus said the same thing to the Native Americans before he blabbed and sparked the mass movement to America, kicking out the natives in the process. God forbid I become the sole reason that aliens invade the planet. 
I'm sorry if I don't exactly trust you, but I can't tell you anything you probably don't know.
No response. Maybe it left? I sat gazing at the sky for a moment longer.
Why did those stars seem to be moving closer?

© 2014 Kate


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

71 Views
Added on April 17, 2014
Last Updated on April 29, 2014

Author

Kate
Kate

Writing
The Picture The Picture

A Story by Kate