A race against time

A race against time

A Story by Tasi83











We are abroad. To be exact, in a small village close to the Swiss border, where people lived in peace and harmony, and where the local government willingly offered to bury the deceased relatives helpfully, and of course - if the relatives and family members so desired - their own graves as well. they could safely dig with the shovels and shovels allocated for this purpose.
Thomas Leuenberger kept it in order with precise thoroughness and took care of his well-known kitchen garden, where the local women liked to return every day, because it was said that there was some substance in his soil that made all the vegetables and fruits and of course other crops so delicious and tasty that when you put it in your mouth, you felt at least as if you were sucking on candy or a tasty lollipop.
"Good morning Thomas!" How are you feeling this beautiful morning. - greeted the local women.
"Good morning ladies!" I'm rich! I can already feel the time and the front crossings a little around my knees and waist. - he answered the question, and then returned to his duties, which cannot be called an everyday bushwalker. Later, when he was done in the garden, he went into the house and started writing, first by hand making preliminary, detailed sketches, and then putting the whole thing into the computer. After a while, he just got into the soothing rhythm of that typing. Of course, he hid the news on the Internet on a daily basis, and that's when he came across the call from the given municipality, which discussed the most important information about grave sites and funerals.
"Never mind!" What the hell! Thomas scratched his balding head and continued scrolling with the mouse until he managed to read the entire article.
By the time he read the article, the idea that he was going to pay horrendous amounts for his own funeral came almost out of the blue. Rather, he goes to the municipality, which allocates him a small piece of land - of course he pays for it if necessary - and then grabs a spade, hoe and tools and digs that approximately two-meter hole. It's true that he even thought strongly about cremation, but the truth was that in recent years, almost all of his remaining relatives slowly disappeared from his life, and they didn't really visit him. ,,No problem!" he drew his own conclusions. "If you want to do something well, you better go after it yourself!" he told himself.
The next day, when it was dawn and the locals were awakened by the hoarse crowing of a rooster, Mr. Leuenberger dressed up nicely. Especially for this occasion, he bought a snow-white, ironed, crisp shirt, black trousers and a suit, and as he looked at himself fiercely and meticulously in the hall mirror, he also felt a little pride that - of course, only if he really wanted to - he could appear elegantly on the occasion of a special day. He also slapped his hat with pheasant feathers on his head. Fortunately, he started every morning by milking the cow and feeding the animals, so he could walk out the door of his carefully closed house with a calm heart.
Fortunately, you can easily cover the distance on foot, which most people prefer to cover by car or public transport, but in the last ten years, Thomas has become a bit of a suspicious misanthrope, and if he didn't have to, he would rather not have long-term relationships with anyone. relationships. His closest neighbors said that this Her Leuenberger could be a strange person after all! But personally, he wasn't excited about it at all.
"Good morning Thomas!" Where, where in such a hurry? asked one of the locals, who drove a large truck and had already acquired a business license for his own use.
- Give God Her Schutz! I'm just going to the municipality to find out how I can bury myself with a subsidy, of course strictly only when the time calls for it. - he gave the answer to the question, and then continued with a strange cheerfulness.
"Don't walk so much, Thomas!" In the end, they will say in the village that I didn't even offer you my car! Come! Just jump in! If this car can handle one person, it can handle two!
"Thank you for your kind help!" Maybe one day I'll actually take him at his word, but if you forgive me now, I'd go on! - He did so and left, while the other person looked at him incomprehendingly for a while.
"Well, Herr Thomas!" Just let me know if you need help with anything! - he shouted after him as he himself turned in his truck.
The municipality building had a kind of old-fashioned, turn-of-the-century style trend. As if they were not meant for officials, but rather for barons or princes. Ornate tendrils meandered from one carved, polished limestone to another. Thomas was really impressed by the sight. He really didn't like to set foot in the city if he didn't have to.
Two guards stood guard in front of the gates, and when he appeared in his hat with a pheasant feather, they immediately took notice and even saluted him. Thomas could have thought: "How nice and courteous everyone can be here!" Clean with the required rules of decorum and etiquette! Not like a significant part of today's younger generation!" - He carefully peeked through the gate, then stepped inside and trotted to the reception desk, where he found a very pretty young lady who smiled like a wild apple and directly asked what she could help me with?
- Hello Franci! how are you asked the old man, taking off his fancy hat.
"I kiss you, Uncle Thomas!" How are you? What flight? asked the pretty young girl. He seemed to have known the old man for a long time. As it turned out, the lady grew up in the neighboring village, and as a little girl, she and her grandparents were often guests at Thomas's.
"The truth is that I've read a lot about funerals!" he admitted the truth. "I read that they supposedly give free graves and a spade so that people can dig their own graves..."
"Yes!" So...why don't you like to sit down for a few minutes while I answer a few calls. �" he already dialed it, and after a few minutes an elegant man in a suit came and looked at the unsuspecting old man a little suspiciously.
- Good afternoon! Welcome! What can I do for you? he shook his hand.
"Mr. Director, please!" Her Leuenberger has come because she is interested in claiming the free graves... - the young lady told him in a slightly shy voice.
- THE! Or so! Well dear Sir! - the Director scratched his big head. "Maybe come to my office so we can discuss the matter in detail!" - he suggested, before he ushered the old man into the large elevator, which glided up to the fifth floor with them at a silent pace.
"Get tired, please!" �" the Director opened the large door for the old man, who hesitantly entered the huge premises.
"Take a seat!" Can I maybe offer you… something? - asked.
- No thank you…
- I understand! So would you be interested in claiming free grave sites?
The old man gave a long nod.
"May I ask for what reason and where you got your information from?"
- I'd like to know, Mr. Director, I read everything on the Internet, and I was so sure that a person does not remain as an unnecessary burden on another's neck when he is already old!
- HE! This is a logical conclusion! Well then please! The law allows us to allocate you a plot with a roof in the cemetery area free of charge, and if you need it, you can even dig up the required piece of land with a spade, hoe and tools! In addition, cremation is cheaper than, say, a simple coffin! A funeral is not cheap anyway! he remarked, as if he were thinking aloud.
The old man scratched his head for a long time before he could speak. In the meantime, he looked around the spacious office and already drew his own conclusions: "It seems that success and performance are everything to this man!" �" The endless glittering gold trophy and other professional awards even supported this.
"Well please, Herr Leuenberger!" I'll give you some official forms to fill out and bring back here to the office, and from there everything can go like clockwork! Of course, if you also agree with this? - looks at him with wolf eyes.
"Yes!" Naturally! - he took the official documents!
"Then...if you don't have any more questions..."
"It's true..." he turned back for a minute, "will the spade, hoe and other tools also be assigned to the person?"
- Naturally! We provide a full service! Thanks if you're tired! - he shook hands with her, then escorted her downstairs, where the young lady was literally on edge wondering what could have happened to the old man for so long?
"So, how did it go?" - asked.
"I should fill out these official documents!" �" the old man handed the papers to Franci, who already took them and feverishly read through all the important texts.
"I was very happy to fill it out and submit it!" he offered.
"Oh, dear Franci!" I owe you so much anyway!
"Nothing but dear Uncle Thomas!" You think you're like my grandfather! Take a seat while we fill out the paperwork! Do you have an identity card? he inquired.
"Ouch!" You see, dear Franci, it's completely out of my crazy head. Anyway, nothing has changed much since eighty-nine.
"Well... dear Uncle Thomas!" - the lady shook her head. "It's going to be a little difficult that way!" But don't worry about anything, bring your IDs here and I'll fill them in!
- Thank you very much! �" his whole expression immediately became brighter.
The old man immediately trotted home as fast as his legs could take him, and he even successfully waved down a cart, which he pulled into a ragged, old, gouty gebe, in order to get home sooner. When he was home two hours later, he turned over every nook and cranny of his wooden box and found his official documents. He wasn't wrong. They are over thirty years old and out of date. "Then it wouldn't hurt to renew them either!" - he mused as he took a small leather bag and carefully stuffed the necessary documents into it, then handed it to them again
​he started for the road, and it was exactly lunchtime when the two guards saluted him again as he entered the office building with his pheasant-feathered hat on.
"I kiss you, Uncle Thomas!" That was fast as lightning! Franzi congratulated him. "I see you took care of everything!" Feel free to just give me the papers and I'll take care of the rest! Until then, blow yourself up and sit down! I will be back soon!
The old man did everything as he was told. He made himself comfortable in the waiting room, and then blew himself out as profusely as if he had really worked hard all day. The young, pretty lady came back after half an hour and informed Her Thomas that, as she had guessed correctly, her documents had already expired about thirty years ago, and she had to renew them first, only then could she use the other free services.
By the time everything was finished and the documents were fresh, the office slowly closed.
"Uncle Thomas!" We have to close soon, but let them get tired in the morning tomorrow, and then we'll sort things out! OK?
"Dear Franzi!" How much money should I give? - he asked, because he didn't like to be indebted to anyone.
"Oh, don't worry about it!" We'll talk about everything tomorrow! Not to intrude, but may I ask when Uncle Thomas was given a pension?
"Franzi!" You asked a good question! Unfortunately, I don't even know... - the old man spread both his hands. "I always had as much as I needed!"
"Don't get nervous!" We will solve it somehow! Until then, feel free to go home!
The old man thanked him for the help, then slapped his hat on his head and started walking home, now more calmly. At home, he took a little seat in his favorite rocking chair carved from mahogany wood, and it is impossible to know whether he closed his eyes forever to the swinging or to the monotonous rhythm...

© 2024 Tasi83


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

34 Views
Added on January 6, 2024
Last Updated on January 6, 2024
Tags: Contemporary, epic, short prose, prose, short story, literature

Author

Tasi83
Tasi83

Budapest, Budapest, Hungary



About
I was born on November 30, 1983 in Budapest! I studied Hungarian history at ELTE-TFK, BTK; history teacher. I'm editing ebooks! So far, I have published my volumes on Publió and Publishdrive as.. more..

Writing
CONSULTING CONSULTING

A Poem by Tasi83