A music man with no name.

A music man with no name.

A Story by tceleste
"

The man with the saxophone and the girl with the heart.

"

she sits there quietly, listening to the echoing sound of the train approaching, the screeching of the breaks getting louder. Her eyes set upon the lonely man sitting against the cold tile wall of the station, singled out as he sat alone and destitute. He slowly and carefully moves a tiny piece of cloth along the saxophone in his hands, his hands marred with the scars of time. They moved with ease and care, careful not to damage this only thing that has kept him whole, his everlasting serenity upon the face of a difficult world. He places the rag by his feet as he finishes and closes his eyes, his ocean blue eyes disappear and his face becomes quiet, he is calm, he is serenity in all its entirety. He moves his fingers so fluidly like a light breeze upon this thing that he so depends on each day. She watches as the smooth sound of a beautiful melody fills the station, dancing along the breeze that comes with each passing train. She lets this melody fill her mind and she listens so quietly; she just listens. It is utterly wondrous, and she closes her eyes, watching a scene of beauty pass before her. She imagines this man with a life before now. He kneels before a child, hair as golden as the sun, a dashing smile that portrays such happiness as she extends her wee arms to be held. The man smiles back and picks her up swinging her about, looking into her eyes with a love so great, it pains her to watch. Maybe he was an honorable father with a loving family. Or maybe, she thought silently, he once was a hero, a man who fought valiantly for what he believed in, a soldier in the wars. Now, this man, this quiet, hardened, weary man with a sadness behind the bluest eyes she had ever looked upon, created such alluring melodies as if they were a sort of magic created by a heart so crestfallen, that a great emptiness lies within him forevermore. She walked to this man, opening her eyes and gazing upon him as he was lost within the music of his soul and kneeled before him. He slowly raised his eyelids and looked upon her. He smiled such a bright, elated smile, his sadness ever apparent behind them, or maybe he wasn't sad after all, but thankful for life. She placed her money inside the blue velvet case that housed his instrument and as she did, he placed his hand upon hers and gave her a pained, weak smile, as he nodded his head but once in affirmation at her kindness.

© 2022 tceleste


Author's Note

tceleste
This was just a one-page story I came up with on a whim one day, so have fun reading.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

34 Views
Added on January 3, 2022
Last Updated on January 3, 2022

Author

tceleste
tceleste

Lowell, MA



About
I am an unpublished author working on the end of my first now. I also have several others I work on simultaneously. Behind the writing, I'm a mom to two who loves the outdoors and is a bit of a travel.. more..