The Bad Day

The Bad Day

A Story by The Calm Scribe
"

A diary excerpt recalling a bad day that had it's ups and downs. Literally.

"
Dear diary,

Today was one of the worst/craziest days I could've imagined, but I guess it kind of worked out in the end.

It all started when I slept through my alarm clock this morning, which of course made me late and started my day off rushed.

I quickly showered and grabbed something to eat as I rushed out to my plumbing van. I knew I was going to be late for Mrs. K's job but I hoped she would understand, I mean her son and I go way back.

I tried to start the van only to realize that I had left the dome light on over night and the battery had died. My brother had already gone for the day so I had to head off on foot to go buy a new battery.

I was already late anyways so I didn't rush too much, I wanted to enjoy the beautiful day and try to cool down after having such a rough start to my morning.

I was only a few blocks from the store when I heard a woman yelling for help. I knew this would delay me even more but I could not leave a damsel in distress. Anyways I figured it was just some movie being filmed and that I hadn't heard of yet.

Either way I turned and ran as fast as I could towards the sound. I could still hear the woman calling for help but she always seemed to be just around the next corner, so I ran faster.

Whatever was happening, we were moving fast, towards the old industrial part of town. I twisted and turned in the maze of industrial complexes until I finally shot around a corner just in time to see some huge beast pulling the most beautiful blond haired woman I've ever seen into a giant warehouse.

He didn't notice me seeing him so I counted to 30 and snuck in quietly behind him. The room I entered into was dark, filthy, and full of high scaffoldings. The whole place smelled of tar and gasoline; with small oil barrels ablaze being the only source of light in the room.

It took longer than I care to admit for my eyes to adjust to the new dim lighting. By the time my eyes adjusted the hulking beast had dragged the woman to the top of one of the highest scaffolds.

I ran to the bottom of the scaffold and looked to try to find the best route up; I don't know why but I just felt like I needed to save this woman. Suddenly there was an almost primal scream of rage as he finally noticed I had been following him. My blood turned cold but I was committed.

Many of the ladders on the scaffold were broken, this meant I would have to run almost the complete length back-and-forth for each level.

He yelled at me again which froze me in my tracks, but then she cried for help again and the thought of her in this monster's grip for moment longer spurred me into action. Without thinking I jumped up and started running along the first level. When he noticed this he started throwing chunks of wood at me to knock me off, I had to time my jumps just right to avoid being hit.

Between the third and fourth levels there was a ladder that actually still was intact. I was about halfway up the ladder when he changed his tactics and threw flaming log at me. This startled me and I fell backwards off of the ladder and had to start from the ground again.

I was hurt but undeterred. I knew his tricks so I ran, jumped, kicked, and climbed my way up as quickly as I could. I was making progress and he knew it, I could tell by the change in his yells.

Seeing that I was getting closer he started to roll barrels of oil down the scaffold. The whole scaffold shuttered underneath the weight of the rolling barrels, I tried to jump the first barrel but my foot hit the top and I was knocked backwards. I barely regained my footing in time to be able to jump and put my hands on top of the barrels to push myself over them, this worked well but it was exhausting.

I finally got to the scaffold beneath his and was standing directly below him I couldn't see him and he couldn't see me but we both knew it all the same. I pause to think of what to do once I got to him, he was much bigger than I was.

Suddenly the air grew hot and heavy with the stink of freshly burning oil. He had started setting the barrels on fire, how could I handled them now? My mind started to spin in panic until I noticed one of the workers had left a huge sledgehammer behind. I might be able to knock the barrels out of the way I thought. I then heard a thump and saw the first flaming barrel making his way down towards me.

I put my head down and sprinted as hard as I could towards the hammer praying to my stars that I would get there before the burning barrel. I dashed forward and grabbed the hammer, swinging it down on the barrel, sending it flying off the scaffold. Emboldened I ran on knocking each barrel out-of-the-way and finally managed to climb up to his level.

He screamed at me and threw flaming barrels even faster than before, I dodged and hammered them all out-of-the-way until I saw the perfectly timed shot. I noticed that each time he threw he lost balance; so instead of dodging I stood my ground and swung the hammer like a croquet mallet and knocked the barrel right back at him. This caught him offguard and he overbalanced and fell off the scaffold and died. At least I think he died, I didn't take the time to check but he wasn't moving. I grabbed the girl and ran out of there as fast as I could. I didn't go to the police because I didn't think they would believe me.

Anyways back to the girl, she is stunning, big blue eyes, blonde hair, pink dress, and a smile to die for. We fell for each other right away but she had to get back home. I know each relationship has its rough patches, well ours started out as rough as I can imagine, so I'm sure it will be clear sailing from here on. I mean what could be crazier then saving your new girlfriend from some hulking beast that kidnapped her, for a first date.

Sincerely yours,
Mario.

P. S. I spoke to Mrs. K and she was not understanding at all. She actually hung up on me, and I got a call from my buddy Bowser. He said he was appalled that I would leave his mom hanging like that so I could go out and try to play hero. He then said if I wanted to play hero he could make sure that happened for real (whatever that means), then started laughing at me and hung up. I guess Koops and I are no longer friends, no worries, I have Peach now and nothing can get in our way!

© 2015 The Calm Scribe


Author's Note

The Calm Scribe
This is a silly idea that came to me while trying to find sleep one night. Please leave honest thoughts and reviews.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This was a wild ride with a monster and flaming barrels, but a hero is always loved, and he got the girl! I love happy endings. I saw several small errors, like "blond hair" and then "blonde hair", but nothing too serious. Good job.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

147 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on October 21, 2015
Last Updated on October 21, 2015
Tags: Satire, funny, ladder, fire, love, battle, general, fear

Author

The Calm Scribe
The Calm Scribe

Ottawa, ON, Canada



About
I am the author of the YA book The Big Deep and the children's book The Great Outdoor Adventure of Tiny Teddy. I am currently working on a novel and a book of short stories both aimed at the more matu.. more..

Writing