Countdown to the Dance

Countdown to the Dance

A Story by T.D. Minor
"

Flash Fiction - A short story about a young man and woman brought together out of a catastrophic circumstance.

"
The last report received said the asteroid would hit within the hour. With most of Cedar Street abandoned, few families remained behind - the Ramsey's were one of them. The Smith’s decided to stay as well, accepting Tim's offer to seek shelter in his basement. The basement, used as a family room, had plenty of space for the two families. Tim had built a pantry the year before stocking it with canned food and water for an unexpected emergency.
This qualified as one.
They tried to keep their minds occupied, trying their best to forget what was happening around the world. The somber mood filled the room as they sat watching a kids show on the television. The bright colors and high-pitched voices provided some relief. They chose not to watch the news, none was bigger than an asteroid hitting earth.
Sarah, the Smith’s only daughter, sat on the wooden stairs leading up to the hallway. She avoided her parents, she knew all their comforting was futile. She wanted to wake up from this horrible dream. But this was no dream - this day was very real.
Jack was the Ramsey's oldest son, a year younger than Sarah. They'd known each other since childhood, but they grew apart the older they got. Jack turned out to be the typical teenager, enjoying graphic novels and playing video games. Sarah, on the other hand, was very popular in school. They knew her as the girl every boy drooled over, Jack mostly buried his head into comic books. The two were from completely different planets. But like the other boys, Jack also had a crush on Sarah. He wanted her to notice him desperately, but whenever they crossed paths, his shyness scared him away.
He sat on the sofa looking at her Amid the looming threat. The attraction was stronger than ever. She was in his home, a couple feet away from him. But there he sat, scared to say one word to her. He told himself this was the perfect time to come clean, to tell her how he really felt.  

Don't be a coward, he thought. This is your opportunity!
He approached her cautiously standing at the base of the stairs. She gave him a look he couldn't make out. Was she annoyed with him? Was she waiting for him to say something? Nevertheless, he committed to it. He made his way up to her and took a seat.
"You know, we've been neighbors all our lives and I don’t ever recall you being down here," he said. There was no response. He felt awkward just standing there motionless. He hesitated, for a moment, saying another word.
"Anyway, I guess I'd kick myself if I didn't tell you..." 

He swallowed hard. 

"...That, I always thought you were beautiful, and I...always liked you." 
Relief and embarrassment hit him all at once. Sarah listened but showed no interest. She kept her focus on the pantry in front of her, dust covered the canned food scattered on the shelves. After observing, she looked at Jack.
"I knew that already," she said. "I've known it since we were five. Rest easy, I just saved you a kick.”  
As stupid as he felt, she was right. He always found it difficult to talk to girls, or to get them to notice him. His shyness pulled him back, he looked down at his sneakers out of defeat.
She also noticed him retreat into his cocoon.
"See, that's always been your problem right there," she continued. "How do you expect a girl to see Jack Ramsey if Jack Ramsey is always in his shell? We’re moments away from extinction, and you still can't go for broke?" 

Awkward moment.

“Ouch, that kick doesn't sound too bad right about now," he said, trying to cushion the blow.
She broke a smile. 
“Better,” she approved.
He couldn't believe it. He made her smile on his own, without thinking. He said something funny that got her to notice him, and it felt great. He knew it probably meant nothing, but for the first time in his life, he got another girl's attention. He gleamed with excitement on the inside.
"So," he continued. "Do...you have...a date for Friday's dance?" A lame take on lightening up the mood. Again, no response. 
Sarah understood what he was trying to do. She wanted to play along, to watch him fumble himself silly trying to get her approval. But the fact was impending doom never left her mind. It lingered throughout their conversation, plaguing her. Their lives had an appointed end, she couldn't pretend, even if for that moment. 
"No," she replied softly. Melancholy was in her voice.
At that moment, Jack understood that look she gave him earlier. That look he couldn't make out. This whole thing was bigger than overcoming his fear of talking to girls. It was about a girl wanting to keep living, to keep laughing. A girl wanting to do everything a girl her age had coming to her. Those experiences no longer applied to her, and it wasn't fair. 
What could he say? What could he do to make her feel any other way than this? The answer never came.
"Well," she said.” Are you gonna ask me to go with you or not?" 
She smiled with tearing eyes. She reasoned within herself, she didn't want to feel this way. She wanted to feel like it was ten months ago before the horrible news changed her world. She wanted to believe that Friday's dance was just around the corner.  
Outside, loud sirens started blaring. Everyone's attention centered on the sound. Panic returned to their hearts, as Tim flipped to a news channel, eager to find out more information. Immediately on the screen, a helicopter shot of what looked like a massive mushroom cloud in the distance rising. Time stopped, everyone in the room stood paralyzed. The image lasted a few seconds, then the feed cut off. Lights flickered, then darkness filled their sights. A rumble shook the foundation they stood on, getting stronger with every passing second. Jack heard his younger brother let out a scream, followed by one of his mother's own. Hopeless voices filled the room until a ghastly roar drowned them out. 
Everything slowed down for Jack, voices becoming muffled and distorted. He gripped the edge of the wooden seat he sat on and felt the concrete walls starting to crumble. His body started to shake uncontrollably, The sounds were terrifying. 
He closed his eyes and braced himself.
A hand rested on his and squeezed tight - It was Sarah's.
 
"Tell me you'll take me to the dance Jack," her voice came out of the blackness. She trembled with fear, one didn't have to see to sense it.
"I will," he said. He put his arms around her and pulled her close.
"Don't let go! Please don't let go!" Her voice broke out in despair. 
The asteroid’s impact succeeded it’s purpose, erasing any trace of human life. Existence not seen, smelled or touched - all was gone. But for two young souls brought together out of calamity, Friday had come - even if for the moment.

© 2017 T.D. Minor


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

130 Views
Added on July 13, 2017
Last Updated on July 14, 2017

Author

T.D. Minor
T.D. Minor

Fontana , CA



About
I love to tell stories. Life and responsibilities have kept me from this great passion of mine for a very long time. But better late than never right? I hope you enjoy my works, and I appreciate the f.. more..

Writing