When It Rains

When It Rains

A Story by Tenaya J
"

A short blurb about the comfort of rain

"
The rain falls over the campus like a soft sheet of grey, splattering the ground and painting everything with a richer color. The grass looks a little greener, the pavement a little darker, the trees a little more bare. There's a sense of quiet that seems to envelop everything, and nature seems meditate as the droplets of water fall to earth. The few unlucky souls that have gotten caught in the downpour are the only things that break the illusion of peace. However, as they disappear, the earth sighs once more and settles down to sleep.

The creeks and streams that normally lay bare during the barren months are now gushing with water, and the coffee brown rapids rush over plants that dared to grow too close to the riverbed. The sound is constant, and only adds to the serene peace that seems to have taken over for the duration of the rainfall. The small giggle of a wood nymph can be heard if you stay quiet and still. Don't make any sudden movements, they scare easily.

A string of fairy lights softly illuminates the dark dorm room. A cooking show is playing on a dimmed laptop, although not much attention is being paid. A purr can be heard from the cat sleeping in their human's arms, with fingers stroking through the soft fur. Homework is littered on the desk, but that can wait for another day. The only thing that matters is this lazy day, and the rain whispering with every patter that lands on the windowsill.

A candle flickers, tempted by the breeze that weaves in between the raindrops. Somewhere close by, a fire crackles and pops, providing warmth to the room, keeping the cold rain at bay. A warm cup of tea steams, fogging up glasses and stinging hands with heat, but it's gotten past the point of pain. The only thing that matters is warmth, and a gulp of tea instantly soothes the throat as it slides down, warming the whole body from the inside out. An involuntary shiver of pleasure rattles the spine, raising goosebumps. A blanket is wrapped serenely around your torso, bundling your arms and legs to become a cocoon. The blankets seem to shield you from the storm outside, making you feel safe and warm.

Eyes flutter shut as the rain continues to pound the roof, easing you into a deep and easy sleep A comforter pins your limbs to the mattress, containing body heat to make you nice and toasty. The window is open to allow the sound to completely fill the room, which slowly becomes white noise after a while. The rain sings a gentle lullaby that collapses your eyes and eases your breath, drifting further into sleep.

© 2019 Tenaya J


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

36 Views
Added on March 3, 2019
Last Updated on March 3, 2019
Tags: rain, short story, fiction

Author

Tenaya J
Tenaya J

Writing
The Fog The Fog

A Story by Tenaya J