The Garden

The Garden

A Story by Alexander Loux
"

Romance in a garden

"

Lady Iris was walking in the garden. Her hair was the colour of the sky at midnight while her eyes were the colour of fresh lilacs.  She walked with Duke Charles, who was very handsome with hair the colour of sunlight and eyes as blue as the sky.  The two were smiling together examining the scarlet roses of the garden.

            Prince William was unhappy with this. He glared out of the tower down at the two of them. He knew Charles’ intentions. Walking out from the castle, his fiery hair swirling past his hazel eyes, he approached the pair and said, “Lady Iris, I saw you from a window and noticed you walking. I beg your pardon; if I am intruding upon your privacy.”

            Smiling, Lady Iris laughed, “Not at all, Prince William. My sisters, that are Ladies Isabel and Patricia, have business in the village this morning. Duke Charles has graciously offered to escort me about the gardens.”

            At hearing his named Charles’ eyes beamed with his accomplishment. Smiling he said, “Good morning William! Would you like to join Lady Iris and me on our morning expedition?”

            William’s glare was hidden by his smile as he answered, “No. I thank you. I’ll not trespass time.”

            Blinking, Iris said, “You may if you wish, Prince William,” her disappointment hidden behind forced smile.

            Reaching up, William stroked her cheek gently while whispering, “Perhaps another time my lady?”

            The two stared longingly at each other till Iris nodded. Smiling, William prepared to leave the gardens. As his back was turned to Iris he hissed, “She’s mine Charles, no matter what Father says,” in a voice that only he could hear before finally leaving.

            Smiling at the absence of the Prince, Charles gazed lovingly at the Lady Iris, youngest of the sisters, as she tucked the fragrant roses into her hair. “What are your sisters doing in town my Lady?” asked Charles.

            Sighing Iris said, “The absolute final word is that we are to leave Saturday… Mother calls us from home and we must go… Unless Patricia puts it off to Sunday. Or Isabel decides she’s particularly eager to see one of the other Dukes or Lords… Then we might leave on Monday.”

            Iris cried out in pain, dropping a bloom. Looking down at her finger as blood pooled she was startled when William emerged from the shadows, grasping her hand in his. Kissing the wound gently he asked, “Why not stay with me my dearest? I know father is not pleased, but I am crown prince and no one could refuse my wants...”

            Iris ignored Charles’ icy gaze as she said, “I’d love to… stay but how could I do what I want when it’s against mother’s wishes?”

            “I do not know anybody who seems more to enjoy the power of doing what he likes than Prince William,” scoffed Charles.

            Turning to him harshly William said, “You speak out of line Charles. I order you to leave.”

            Charles would have stayed, but he eyes the guards and knew he had no choice. As he left, kicking flowers, he cursed loudly, leaving the two lovers alone, lost in each other’s gaze.

© 2011 Alexander Loux


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow. I didn't excpect the prince and Iris to be lovers. I thought she was on love with Charles. This feels like a prologue to a much longer story, though. Very good story so far if it is.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

176 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 25, 2011
Last Updated on February 25, 2011




Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5