The Fifth Columnist

The Fifth Columnist

A Story by TerumiF
"

Adam expects to spy like in the movies but he gets an unexpected surprise.

"

To be a spy, he thought to himself. Life would definitely be exciting, he just had to get through this initiating test, pass it and what was it, yes, a field test or something.

I can do it, he thought, remembering the time when he was a boy of thirteen escaping the wrath of the German capturers. He remembered running, ducking in between the horde of Jews.

Through the doorway there was a window and the largest pair of eyes he had ever seen. The girl was younger than him, but looked serious enough to be a professor as she turned towards him, making it clear that he was interrupting something.
“Who are you?” he asked, since it was rather hard to tell what with the smock and all.
“Me? Oh, I’m lots of things. I just haven’t decided which one I want to be the most of.” She paused and brandished a pencil in his direction. “What do you think?”
“Pardon?”
“Well, what do you think? About me?” Stomping her foot in impatience, she waved the pencil in agitation. “Come now, you must think something! Why, I’ve never met someone who couldn’t think, not really.”
He found it harder than he should have expected to answer. “Well, I haven’t ever seen anyone who could be quite as scary with just a pencil.”
That had been a good enough answer apparently, as the girl grinned. “Thank you. And for that matter, I don’t know anyone else quite as excellent at giving compliments.”

She had to be one of the examiners, he thought, displaying his best foot forward.

"Ask me then, whatever you need to know" He said with complete self-assurance.

"Well, right now, a man in his mid forties will walk in with a satchel. He will approach the counter and ask for two red coffees. Listen to me, extremely vigilantly, for once he does, you need to put this bug into his jacket pocket"

She took out a weird shaped tiny mechanical thing and slid it into his hands while acting like she was caressing it.

"keep nodding and smiling while we talk" she said adding a captivating laugh that looked indubitably genuine.

Maybe I'm not cut out for this, slowly started sinking into his until now confident head.

"Do it with extreme caution okay? This part's very crucial"

He nodded his head and smiled, trying to act immensely cool.

 

Suddenly, the door chimes rang and a man of her description walked in, he was mysterious looking with a scar that cut deep into his left eye. Spine chilling really, maybe he's got a hook hidden somewhere thought Adam. The man walked towards the counter.

"Honey, Two cappuccinos yes?" Adam asked his pretend girlfriend who nodded seeming impressed.

With a certain style and flair, Adam picked himself off of the chair and walked towards the counter as well.

"Two red coffees Miss" asked the scary looking man.

Just then Adam bumped into him acting as if it was by mistake.

"Oh I'm so sorry!" he said and stood behind him as if waiting for his own order.

Adam looked back to assure the woman of his capability and doing, when all of a sudden, someone put a cotton pad to his face. It was making him drowsy.

Adam kicked and punched as hard as he could but it all seemed to be in vain. He was losing vision and soon he fell into a sleep much unwanted.

 

Regaining his conscience, Adam could hear some distant voices. He was laid down on a cold metal slab, as if he were to be experimented on soon. 

 

"He's failed us" said a voice that Adam thought he recognized.

"NO! he achieved the aim we gave him" replied a woman's voice, I know these voices...it's her!.

Adam felt around with his hands extremely cautiously, they thought he was asleep and it should remain that way, he thought.

His hands were tied loosely but his feet were free, so he slowly opened the knot and waited for the right moment.

"But his approach was old school and disseminating." said the man's voice with a harsh and dominating snarl. It has to be red coffee...it's the scary fellow, figured Adam.

"Then we must eliminate him. He knows of my cover and he is a hindrance hence. " said her voice.

what a loving girlfriend I have...

This was it, no better time than to escape from his own murder. Adam got up with a jolt. Pounced at the man, pushed him down and slashed the woman with the sharp metal rope that held his hands earlier. He had caught them off-guard. Shocked, both of them were depraved of their usual strength and agility. Adam ran towards the first door he could find.

The woman started to stand up to run towards him when the man caught hold of her arm.

"Let him go" said the man with a sinister look in his eyes.

 

Adam encircled the door knob with his fingers and opened the white painted door.

he couldn't believe his own eyes. Never had he seen such a thing.

He stood before a never ending corridor, extremely white and asylum like, with thousands of doors absolutely the same. The same white, same size, same shape and same texture. Replicas standing at a distance of maybe two feet from each other all throughout the hall.

 

I was definitely not seeing this in my future...  Adam  thought as he closed the door behind him.

 

© 2014 TerumiF


Author's Note

TerumiF
Comment and Review. :D

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

181 Views
Added on August 17, 2014
Last Updated on August 17, 2014
Tags: Sci-fi, Thriller, Mystery.

Author

TerumiF
TerumiF

India



About
Writing isn't just words to me, because writing takes me to another world. A world where writing is a path to peace, expression, relief and love. SO I WRITE. I DREAM, & I BELIEVE. believe with.. more..

Writing



Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5