The Foolish Eagle

The Foolish Eagle

A Story by Gary West
"

A cautionary tale of pride . . .

"
(NOTE: The following is a story that my grandfather used to tell. I am merely re-telling it in my own words)
.oO*Oo.


Everyone knows of the majesty of the eagle, seen by many as the noblest of birds, both beautiful and powerful to behold. Strong of wing, keen of eye, the object of awe and envy.

There was once such a bird who daily soared upon the winds that washed the high mountains, keeping watch as it looked down at all that lay beneath it.

In the cold breezes of winter, that same eagle flew as it always did, taking pleasure in the freedom it felt among the clouds. And as it sailed upon the currents of the air one day, it spied far below a large piece of ice floating calmly down the river. "What fun it would be," thought the eagle, " to ride atop that ice and see the world from the view of the earth-bound creatures."

And so, the great bird descended from the sky and lit upon the ice. Under its weight, the ice bobbed a bit, forcing the eagle to flutter its wings to keep its balance. Then the ice quickly became calm again, and the eagle stood there, enjoying the ride, free of the efforts of flying.

As the ice traveled down the river, the eagle gazed in wonder at the way everything looked from its perch, so very different from its usual aerial aspect. And from the ice, the eagle knew that it was safe from the dangerous animals of the forest. Indeed, the bird could find no need to fear at al.

Then, in the far distance, the eagle could hear the faint roar of rushing water, and it knew right away the cause of the noise. It was a waterfall, a thing of which the eagle knew well, for it had flown past many of them in its lifetime. The bird spread wide its wings and prepared to fly away.

"But wait," it then reasoned, "the fallas are yet very far away, and no immediate threat to me. I shall stay and enjoy the ride a bit longer." Then it tucked its wings to its sides and rode.

Many minutes passed and, before long, the eagle was able to see the waterfall afar off. As before, it opened its wings to take flight. And as before, it reasoned in its own mind.

"The falls are within sight. I can easily see them approach and, thus, I am in no danger, for I may lift away at the time of my own choosing."

And having reasoned so, the eagle closed its wings once more.

The noble bird watched in confidence as the waterfall drew slowly closer. After a bit, the ice began to gain momentum, moving ever faster along the river. Finally, when the ice was a mere hundred feet from the falls, the eagle said to itself, "This is it! Now is the time for me to lift aloft and soar once again among the heavens!" And the eagle stroked it mighty wings to fly away.

But try as it might, the eagle could not lift free of the ice.

You see, as the eagle rode along the river, the warmth of its feet had melted the ice, which then cooled and froze again, binding its feet solid.

The eagle struggle and cried out, all to no avail. And when the ice washed over the edge of the falls, the eagle went unwillingly with it. The eagle had waited too long.

Pray we do not follow the eagle.

© 2014 Gary West


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Actaully, I was afraid that was going to happen to the eagle. Daring danger is always risky--even if you have wings.

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

75 Views
1 Review
Added on June 1, 2014
Last Updated on June 1, 2014

Author

Gary West
Gary West

Mountainburg, AR



About
Not much to tell. I like to dabble in writing every now and again, as well as penning a few poems and songs. My preferred genre of writing is fantasy, but I've also touched into the "modern" setting, .. more..

Writing