Speck in the Universe

Speck in the Universe

A Story by Melina Lowe

Have you ever just sat on your completely destroyed couch and just realized that you're just a speck in a forever expanding universe? That you're stuck in a black hole that is completely silent, with no light, just your own thoughts, unaware of where you're going? Well, me too. Except when I'm in my black hole, I'm overthinking myself into oblivion. 
The Universe was created by a bunch of elements being forced together, and then repelling against each other causing the explosion that created this weird place we exist in. Yet with all the black holes, stars, planets, comets, and asteroids, I have the audacity to think I matter, or have a purpose. 
The in the book Welcome to the Universe by Neil DeGrasse Tyson, Michael A. Strauss, and J. Richard Gott, the first chapter says that the Universe ends by stars dying out one by one. Almost like a flame, exploding into this light, then slowly fading. It reminds me of Arthur C. Clarke's The Nine Billion Names of God, where they created a computer program to find his name. They believed when the program came to the end and found his name, all the stars in the sky would go out one by one. The computer program finished the program while the scientists where staring at the night sky. One by one all the star went out. I seem to picture this as life, just watching stars go out one by one, and not being able to do anything but drink Jack Daniels, and watch. 
Sometimes when stars go out they become a black hole. Is the black hole I'm in now, once a bright star that imploded on itself? Was I that Star? 
Black holes usually have a speck of light. I wonder if I'm that light for a person in the same black hole as me, or if I'm going to find it. For now, it's just gonna be darkness, and overthinking into oblivion.  

© 2017 Melina Lowe


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

133 Views
Added on February 6, 2017
Last Updated on February 6, 2017
Tags: Depression, Universe, Space, Life, Black Holes, Stars

Author

Melina Lowe
Melina Lowe

Huntington Beach, CA



About
Future intern for Adult Swim Wannabe Adult more..

Writing