Can't We Try?

Can't We Try?

A Story by Shay
"

This story is about two young men who found love in each other. They always seem to be in trouble because of the life they live, together, but they work things through and spend their days together.

"

Chapter one

I sat on my bed crying, I  sat there watching as the blood began dripping from my wrist. "What have I done? J-Joseph won't be happy about me now..." I cried softly. I heard a thud coming from upstairs, It was probably my little sister, we were the only two home. I grabbed bandages from my drawer and quickly wrapped my arm as i ran out of my room and up the stairs. "Verronica are you okay?" i called out to her. I didn't get a reply so I walked into her room and she was on her floor passed out. I noticed an empty pill bottle beside her and a page opened on her laptop. I pulled out my phone and dialed 911. I couldn't lose my sister, not now. 
After requesting an ambulance I sit on the floor beside her holding her head in my lap, stroking her hair softly. I grabbed her laptop and looked through what she had probably looked through. There were all kinds of comments and things put on her wall on Facebook, saying stuff like "Go kill yourself you stupid emo!", "Kill yourself f****t.", "Why don't you do us a favor and die?". "Such awful things...why didnt she tell me about htis?" I asked myself softly as I heard the rushed footsteps coming into the room. I moved the laptop away and stood up as the two men carried my sister downstairs and outside and put her in the ambulance, I sat in the back of the ambulance with them. I held her limp hand in mine, hoping she would live. She was my little sister..just a year or so younger than me.
*Flashback*
"Jordon!! Wahhhh their pickin on mee!!!!!" 6 year old Verronica cried into my chest. She pointed to a group of girls who were laughing and pointing at her. I glared at the little brats. They were the same age as her, i walked over to them, being the good big brother I am, I pushed them down. They started to cry and thats when I turned around and walked back to Verronica. I hugged her tightly. "You're my hero bubby!" she smiled at me. "Jordon what did you do?!" Mom scolded. "they were picking on Verronica so I taught 'em a lesson." I said. She scowled at me. "You're grounded young man! Go to your room." Mom said in a mad tone. "You'll always be my hero, no matter what mommy tells you.." Verronica whispered as I muttered under my breath, but did as I was told. I stopped and looked back at Verronica. "As long as I'm alive...I will always be your guardian." I say and continue walking into the house.

*flashback over**

I watched as they took my sister into the emergency room. The nurse at the door told me to stay in the waiting room. I ran my hand through my hair and looked around at the people around me. "Who's that, what happened?" The guy next to me asked me. "My sister, she over-dosed. I just hope they can save her.." I say without turning my head. "Ohhh...." He says quietly. "My wife is in labor right now." He said. "Tell her I said congrats." I said. "My names John." He says .  "Jordon. My sister is Verronica." I say. "...I need quiet..." "Oh sorry." He says and he gets quiet. 
 2 hours later....
A nurse enters the waiting room and looks around. "Mr. Jordon? " she asks. I stand and walk over to her. "Yes, Is my sister okay?" I ask. "Yes, but she wants to see you."


Chapter two


Since I didn't have a ride home, I'm gonna have to walk home. These streets aren't very safe at night either.... I sigh. Oh well guess I'll just have to keep an eye open. Oh, looks like Joseph texted me. Couldn't hurt to talk to him...

Js: So is Verronica gonna be alright? 
Jo: yeah, that's what the doctor told me.
Js: that's good.
Jo: mhm. I really wish I didn't have to walk at night, these stree-

Someone threw me into an alley. Three large guys stood over me. Oh god... "Well if isn't little Jordon." One said. "Who are you?!" I ask nervously. I was obviously frightened, besides, one of them was holding a knife I think. The first guy, i think, grabbed my bandaged wrist and pulled me up. I yelled in pain. "Oh, did you cut yourself again?" He asked sarcasm dripping from his words. "So what? What's it to you?" I groan, snatching my wrist back. They all snickered. "We could just end it for you right now, but you'd like that wouldn't ya?" Another guy asked. "No, I wouldn't. Besides I have so many reasons to live for." I replied, crossing my arms. "Name one." "Well, i'm here to protect and keep my sister alive, keep Joseph from feeling lonely, oh and what was that other one?" I said, ending the sentence in sarcasm. "Wait. Jonathon?" I ask, squinting to attempt to see better in the dark. The three ran off cursing. I shake my head in annoyance, leaving the alley and heading back down the sidewalk. I needed the rest, today had been eventful.
I shrug and pull my phone out. 
Js: Jordon are you alright?! 
Js: Jordon please text me back.
Js: oh Jordon please be careful.
Js: Jordon oh my god 
Js: please be okay.
Jo: Joseph don't worry, some d****e just tried to rob me. good thing i don't have anything.
Js: well i got worried. I'm glad you're alright.
Jo: sorry for the scare, love.
Js: well is it okay if I call instead?
Jo: sure :)


I answer his call immediately. "Hey Jordon." He sounds relieved, or more like he has been crying. "Joseph are you okay?" I ask, completely concerned. "I'm fine." He tries to sound happy. "Joseph....what happened?" "Okay, so earlier I went outside and someone had spray-painted on my house..." "Yeah..?" "..They spray-painted things like 'f****t', and s**t like that." My blood began to boil. "Those a******s! I swear if I were there..." Joseph sniffled. "Shh baby don't cry..." I coo into the mic. I walked into the bakery a block away from my house. "Joseph it'll be alright, because soon I'll be there to cuddle." I smiled softly to myself and walked up to the counter, there was a small line. The few people around me stared at my bandages. I felt uncomfortable. "Jordon..?" "Yes?" "....You could never be here quick enough.." He sniffled. "Don't worry babe. I gotta go now. Love you." "Love you." I hung up and slipped my phone into my pocket as i stepped up to the counter. "Can i get a-" I started. "A what? A pink cupcake with sprinkles?" The blonde girl behind the counter remarked, she heard me talking to Joseph... "Uh no, a hot chocolate, please? Or should I go get your manager for you harassing the customers?" I glared at her. "Sure thing sir." She hissed between her teeth. "Thanks." I smile sarcastically. She handed me my warm beverage and I paid.         After I leave, I sip my drink and walk down the street. It was late, so I should head on home. 
I step out of the shower and go to grab my p.J's. 
        polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=144216815
        My hair was dripping still, with the warm water from my shower. I sent a quick 'Goodnight' text to Joseph and dried my hair, before I slipped under my blankets and drifted into a deep sleep.
        The next morning I climbed out of bed, stretching as I did so. I checked my phone's notifications while I walked to the kitchen and got a glass of water. I received a picture from Joseph. I opened it and my heart dropped. Joseph was unconscious and was bruised. Some d****e hurt my Joseph. That's it. I'm getting a plane ticket. I'm gonna call my aunt to take care of Verronica. I called my aunt. "Auntie, can you watch Verronica while I fly out to my boyfriends house? He's injured. I need to see him. You will? Great. Thank you Auntie." As soon as I hung up, I got Verronica's laptop and bought an airline ticket. "Hold on Joseph. I'll be there." I went upstairs and began to pack.
        I screamed in anger. Why is everything going so badly lately?! My life is going in a downward spiral. I made sure I packed my medication and phone charger. I left a note to Verronica explaining why I left the house.


Chapter three


I stepped off the plane and quickly looked for my luggage. "Oh god...Joseph." I mutter and grab my suitcase and head out to hail a cab.   
        I step out of the cab with my luggage and hand the man a 20. I frowned at the unwanted graffiti on Joseph's garage, as I walked up his drive-way. I paused for a moment, remembering the photo. I knocked on his door. 'Joseph...' I thought about our meeting. I've dreamed of this for so long, Why did I feel so jittery now? He opened the door, his dull look immediatley changing to a suprised expression. He had lit up with excitement. "Jordon?!" He exclaimed. He wrapped his arms around me, I did the same to him. "Joseph..." We stayed like this for a minute. He smelled amazing. Is that weird? Oh well, I don't even care. "You didn't tell me you were coming out here!" He grinned at me. "Please, come in." He stepped to the side and I took my luggage inside. "You're home is lovely." I smile, taking my surroundings in. "Thank you." He bowed half-way. I giggled at him. "Right this way, my dear." He grabbed my luggage and took me down a hallway to the right of his dining area. He opened the first door on the left. "You can stay right in this room, it's accross from mine." He led me inside. The bed was on the left side of the room, the bathroom was on the right side of the bed. I looked to the dresser and closet, which was to the right of the bathroom. "Woah..." I looked back to Joseph. "And the most beautiful sight of all~." I laugh. "Oh you." He waved his hand at me. "You can put your things in the dresser and closet if you need to. "Thank you, Joseph." He turned around and started back down the hallway towards the dining/livingroom area. "I'll let you settle in." I took my suitcase and laid it on the dark green, duvet covered bed.  After sorting my things into the dresser and closet, I put hte suitcase
beside the dresser. "Joseph?" I asked, walking into the livingroom. "Hm?" I sat beside him on the couch. "...Are you okay?" I asked, softly. "What do you mean?" The light in his eyes disappeared. "Joseph..." I didn't know what to say next. "No, I'll be honest with you..." He replied, he lifted his sleeve and looked away from me, guilt radiating of him. I looked at his scarred arm. There were 4 new red lines. I couldn't speak. I just wrapped my arms around him and held him tightly. "Jordon...?" I shooshed him. "Please, don't hurt yourself." My voice came out cracked. Was I crying? No, well, not yet. Joseph stroked my bandaged arm gently. I bit my lip. "That was the last time...I promise not to do it again, if you promise." He nodded. "I promise." His voice came out quiet. "I promise, too." I kiss his forehead. "So You came all this way, just to see if I was okay?" He smiles at me, reminding me of leaving my hometown.
"Y-yeah, I care about you, Joseph." I rested my head on his shoulder, he nuzzled his face further into my chest. "I-I'm glad....I care about you just as much." He mumbled.
  For the next hour, Joseph and I just sat on his couch, cuddling. There was a loud bang on the door. The sudden noise startled both of us, causing us to jump. "Open up, F****t!" Boomed a voice. Joseph jumped. I stood up and headed towards the door. "Jordon!" Joseph whisper yelled. I ignored his plead. I opened the door, to reveal a guy taller than me. He had dark green eyes and shining blonde hair. "Who are you?" I glared at the man. "Just about to ask you the same thing." He replied. "I'm Jordon, now who the hell are you?" I looked him up and down. "David. Where's Joseph?" He looked behind me. "You aren't gonna lay a finger on him." I stated. He looked down at me in amusement. "Oh really?" He studied me. "You must be his boyfriend! How CUTE." He teased. He leaned close to my face. "It'll be fun to have 2 f*****s to hit." I could smell his disgusting breath. "Get your ugly-a*s face away from me." He leaned back and grabbed me by the collar of my shirt. I was no longer on the ground. "Jordon!" Joseph yelled. I brought my foot back and swung it right into his dark region. He fell to the ground and I stood over him. I backed up a few steps, so he couldn't reach me. "I'll...kick your a*s for that!" His once deep voice, became more shrill that before. I slammed the door shut and locked it. I walked back to Joseph and led him down the long hallway from before and we sat in his room. The brute wouldn't be able to come in, without it being breaking and entering. "Thank you for standing up for me, Jordon." He kissed my cheek. "Did you handle that in that way back where you lived?" I felt shyness creep into my system. "Uh...Well...N-No..." I stuttered out. "That's okay." He replied. I nodded and looked around his room. He had random posters around his walls and a small tv on his dresser at the foot of his bed. He had a computer desk at the right side of his room and a bathroom to the left. "Nice room." I felt him grab my hand. "Thank you, my love~" he cooed.  I smile sheepishly. 'my love.' I had a chill run down my spine. I like that. "You look so...." I turn to look at him. He looked at me, confused. I leaned in and gave him a peck on the lips. He blushed and petted my hair. "You're so sweet~"  I sat on his bed and he sat in my lap. "Oh Joseph..." I whisper and nuzzle my face into the crook of his neck. "Jordon~" he giggled. He moved to the seat beside me. "I wrap my arms around his neck and he placed his hands on my waist. "I'm so happy, we can finally be together now." He says. Our lips meet and I close my eyes. This is so nice...Finally being in his arms... He lays back.  We don't break apart. "Jordon....." I whisper. "Hm..?" I begin kissing him all over his face and neck area. He begins giggling. "Mwah! Mwah!" I exaggerated. "I love you so much!" I shout. He sits up and kisses my nose. "Not as much as I love youuu~!" He grinned. We both laugh and curl up together on his bed. "This is nice." I say, as he cuddles his face into my shoulder. "I agree." His voice was muffled. He's such a cutie. 

                   The next morning, Joseph and Jordon awoke to the sound of thunder crashing and crackling outside. They walked into the kitchen, looking very tired still. Their hair was messy and their eyes droopy still. "Good morning, my dear." Joseph grabbed a cup of coffee and sat at the little dining table. "Good morning." Jordon yawned, also grabbing a coffee mug from the cabinet. He leaned over real quick, to give Joseph a peck on the lips. "I didn't know it was gonna storm." Jordon sat down across from Joseph. "Yeah, it's supposed to thunderstorm for the next few days." Joseph scratched his head. "Oh yeah, I need to call my sister after breakfast." Jordon rubbed his left eye, sleepily. "Oh yeah, she understands that you're here with me? Right?" Joseph asked. He nodded, sipping his coffee. "I left her with my aunt." "You could call her now, I wouldn't mind." He nodded and walked out of the room.

 I pull out my phone and call my aunt. "Hey, It's Jordon, how's Verronica?" There was slight silence. "This is Verronica, Aunty is asleep still." I paused a moment. "How are you feeling?" I heard her sigh. "I've been better." I hummed. "Sorry I left you," I rub the back of my neck. "I was worried about Joseph cause I thought he was gonna get murdered...." She chuckled. "It's fine, Jordon, I understand." She yawned. "Just know, I'll be back soon." I paused a moment. "Nah, I'll be fine. You stay as long as you want!" She sounded genuinely happy. "Love you, sis." "Love you too." I hang up, and set my phone on the coffee table. "Joseph!" I called going down that hall from before. I heard the shower turn on. "yeah?" I felt my face turn red, I shake my head and try to collect my sleepy thoughts. "I'm gonna go lay in bed again." I say and started walking towards the bedroom. "Hey Jordon?" I stopped and put my ear to the door so I could hear better. "Why don't you come in here and shower with me?" He purred through the door. I felt my cheeks burn. "O-Okay.." He opened the door and I walked inside. The bathroom was starting to steam up fro the hot water. "What shampoo do you use?" I ask, pulling off my shirt. "Suave. It's the salon approved kind." He pulled the curtain closed. "Ooh, nice." I climb into the shower as well, and stood under the water. How relaxing.... Then I remembered he was in there with me. "You are so adorable." Joseph giggled. I did a sarcastic pose and winked, making him giggle more. "Hey there handsome~." I pinned him and wiggled my eyebrows. He was laughing really hard. "Ooh~ What a sexy boy!" I tried to stifle back a laugh, then he kissed my nose and he moved under the water to get his hair wet. "Ya'know, I thought this would be awkward, but I'm actually having fun." I stretch. "Mhm! I knew you would." He cupped my face and pecked my lips. I wrap my arms around his waist, leaning to his ear. "Words can't describe how I feel about you, love." I purr, as he wraps his arms around my neck. "Exactly how I feel about you." He pressed his lips to mine and we stayed that way for a few minutes. Then the water turned cold. "Ahhh!" Jospeh yelled, jumping slightly. I turned off the water and we wrap ourselves in towels. We laugh to ourselves when we heard a crash, it sounded like a window broke. We slipped on boxers and shorts, heading to the living room. "Who's out there?" I yelled out. "Guess, f*g." I heard a husky voice. "Joseph go to the bedroom..." I whisper. He ran to our room with his phone. I opened the door and glared up at the brute. It was the same guy from yesterday and he had two scrawny guys with him. "We heard you two havin' fun." He smirked. "No, you heard Joseph discovering the water running cold." I crossed my arms and raised an eyebrow. "What do you a******s want?"  I blinked sarcastically. "We want you two to kill yourselves, homo." the guy on the right said. "Well fat chance, bub. Now get the hell out of our house." I command, gripping the doorknob. He shoved me backwards. They were all bigger than I was, but I wasn't about to let them touch Joseph. "I'm not afraid of you." I stand up and raise my fists, ready to throw a punch. "Oh how cute." The guy on the left smirked. "You may be larger than me, but that doesn't mean I can't kick your a*s." I growl. "Try me." I added. The scrawny guys dived at me and I swung my fists, but somehow they ended up holding me by my arms and holding me back. "Let. Me. Go." I tried to kick free. They laughed at me as their 'leader', walked right up to me. "Joseph!!!" I scream. "I called the police!" He yelled back. The three brutes didn't leave. Then the one that wasn't holding me, walked down the hallway where Joseph had yelled from. "No!!!" I yell, my voice cracked. One of them punched me in the gut. "Please!" I heard Joseph beg, then the guy from before dragged Joseph into the room and pushed him down. "Leave him alone!" I screamed, struggling against their strength. "Jordon.." At that moment, his eyes met mine and we both knew we were in trouble. The guy pulled his foot back and began kicking Joseph as hard as he could, Joseph curled up into a ball and yelled the whole time. "Stop!" I cry, ignoring the hot tears streaming down my face. "Leave him alone!" My knee's gave out and I fell. "Joseph.." I sobbed, reaching for him. They stepped on my hand while the guy just kept hitting him over and over. I saw blood trickle from his nose. I wanted so badly to stop them, but I was too weak. "Your turn, f****t."  I didn't even bother looking up, my eyes were glued to my unconscious boyfriend. I felt them beating me, but it didn't hurt as bad as my heart did. How...could I let this happen..?  The tears kept falling, as I attempted to crawl to his body. "Stop...please.." I muttered. Then I heard police sirens, but they sounded distant. The guys stopped hitting me and ran out.     "Someone call an ambulance!" The voice was faint, but I could hear it. I couldn't move. My body throbbed and ached. What's happening?

        When I awoke, I heard this beeping noise...What's that smell? Smells...clean...like bleach? er... I tried opening my eyes, but my eyelids wouldn't budge. Am I dying? Am I already dead? "Jordon...I really hope you wake up..." I heard a voice. It sounded so familiar. Who's Jordon..? Why did that name sound so...familiar? I felt a pinch in my arm. I tried to squirm, but my body didn't move. Am I in purgatory, heaven, or hell? "Joseph...I'm sorry but it seems like Jordon won't be coming out of his coma soon.. You might as well let him rest." I hear a light, feminine voice speak softly. Joseph? Joseph! I felt like I was gonna cry, but I felt no tears or no aches of tears... My memory is very fuzzy, but I need to wake up. I need to see Joseph. I need to know if he's okay. "Jordon...I love you..." Joseph's voice sounded far off. "Jordon...He needs you. Wake up." I heard a husky and raspy voice say. It sounded like it was coming from my mind. Who are you?   "I can't tell you my name...But I need you to wake up. Hurry, before he leaves!" The voice yelled, It hurt my ears but it wasn't a real pain. My eyelids flutter open. "...J-Joseph..." I breathe. "Jordon!" I felt arms wrap around me, gently. "I knew you'd wake up." I looked at the tear stained face of my boyfriend. He had bruises all up and down his arms and on his face. "...Joseph...I love you." My throat was dry and I didn't ache. " What happened?" I ask, sitting up a little. "We were knocked unconscious and beat, I woke up a few weeks ago...but you've been in a coma." His once joyful smile, fell to a mournful frown. "They were about to cut you off and let you die." His voice cracked towards the end of his sentence. Tears sprang to my eyes. "You weren't gonna let them kill me, were you?" I ask, gripping his hands tightly. "Of course not." His voice was gentle and his eyes were still watery. "I would never let you go. Ever." His voice turned into a whisper. I leaned forward and kissed him, just as a nurse walked in. "He's awake?" She sounded surprised. "Doctor Cameron, he's awake!!" Suddenly a doctor rushed into the room and came to my bedside. "Mr. Smith, we're going to have to ask you to leave, so we can run a few tests on Jordon, alright?" The doctor smiled politely. Though, I could see the pure disgust in her eyes. "I love you, Jordon. I'll be back tomorrow!" I pecked Joseph one last time on his cheek. "Bye, Joseph." He walked out of the room, shutting the door behind him. "Now, Jordon, How are you feeling?" She asked, holding her clipboard, clicking her pen. "Well.."

        I walked outside of the hospital, heading to my car. I could barely believe that he had finally woken up. I'm glad that they didn't just pull the plug. Jordon's my whole world and I'd never want anything to happen to him. "Joseph, is that you?" I heard a familiar female say, "It is you!" I turn to see Jade, my friend rom high school. "Jade!" I walk up to her and hug her. "How have you been?" She grinned. "I've been better." I chuckle nervously. "What are you doing here?" I ask. "Just checking on my Nana. She had surgery on her hip." she smiled. "Why are you here, and you okay?" I hesitate at first, "I was beaten unconscious...again." Then before she could reply, "..And my boyfriend was in a coma for several weeks." I frown, remembering the past few weeks of me crying beside him, while he was unconscious. "Aw! Is he okay? Do you know??" She asked hugging me, tightly. "He just woke up, lucky thing he did because they were about to cut him off." I felt tears burning at the back of my eyes. "Lucky thing...I'm glad he's awake." She gave me a sympathetic smile. "Well, I gotta go. Good to see you again." She waved to me as she walked away. "You too!" I wave back. I sigh and walk to my car, fiddling with my keys before sticking it in and opening it. "..Oh Jordon..How?" I start the engine, listening to the engine vibrate before driving off. I'd definitely be visiting him again tomorrow.


Jordon...I turn my head to the left and right, searching for that voice. I didn't recognize it, but it just kept calling my name.
Who's there!? I looked behind me and all around, but nothing. I sit on the ground and hugged my knees. Jordoon...I began crying as the voice creeps all around me and in my head. LEAVE ME ALONE!! I  scream. I wanted peace. I wanted the voice to leave. It filled my head, forcing out my thoughts. When will this godforsaken nightmare end. Wake up Jordon. The voice was getting louder and louder. I can't take this anymore. I start scratching my arms and screaming. But, once I started scratching.....I couldn't stop. I kept scratching, the flesh where I was scratching was tearing off bit by bit.

I jolted up in my hospital bed, I looked around the room, taking in my surroundings. I breathed heavily and my face was sweaty. I looked at my arms and I had scratch marks. I ran my fingertips over the tiny cuts...Did I do this to myself? I climbed out of my bed and walked into the bathroom. I turn the cold water on and let it run for a minute, before I splash my face and relax. I've had a tough month and a half. I hear a nurse outside the bathroom knocking. "Jordon, are you in there?" I breathe before calling out. "Yeah." I turn off the water and dry my face. "Mr. Smith is here to see you." I quickly leave the bathroom and back into my room where Joseph awaited me. I wrap my arms around him and press my lips to his. "I'm so happy to see you." I say, smiling at my gorgeous man. "Same for me." We pulled away and the doctor walked in. "You're free to leave now, Mr. Jordon." I went into the bathroom and changed into the clothes Joseph had brought me and we happily leave the hospital hand-in-hand.

© 2015 Shay


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

120 Views
Added on June 24, 2015
Last Updated on June 24, 2015
Tags: gay, love, love is love, lgbtq, lgbt

Author