L.C.'s Heroic Looter: Ch. 2: Quest

L.C.'s Heroic Looter: Ch. 2: Quest

A Story by Blayk McCartney
"

Since getting her powers and fighting Mr. Crazy, Lin is plagued with questions about herself and the world around her. She begins looking for answers, a much more difficult task then she first thought

"
 Since my fight with Mr.Crazy, I've been wondering just how many people are actually normal. Mr. Crazy's face cracked and I could see skin underneath changing constantly, I've met a vampire and an undead mage, -a wizard, I think. I wonder if he went to Hogwarts...- and then there's me. Mr. Crazy called me Shadow Walker. I'm stuck wondering if that's what I am or him nicknaming me like I have him. That in mind I've started a quest for knowledge. It's hard to find anything that can be taken as fact though. First hand knowledge seemed to be the only reliable source, so I hit the streets. Unfortunately such a task is grueling, I may as well go look for the holy grail.
 One night, I resigned to sitting on a rooftop and looking across the city skyline, tired of my search. I sat on the ledge with one leg hanging off and the other propped so that I could rest my chin on my knee. The city was brighter then my little, old town, but still had its on charm. 
 Not long after settling, a gust of warm wind hit me and although it felt nice, I got the sense I wasn't alone anymore. I glanced around the rooftop, but saw no one. Suddenly, my ear was flicked. Startled, I jumped a bit, slipped, and went over the ledge with a scream.
 Someone cried out  "Wow! Sorry, didn't mean to scare you like that." It took a second but I realized I had stopped falling and instead, was being kept suspended by a strong wind. "Would you mind getting back on the roof? This is a bit difficult."
 "Ha-how?!" I cried.
 "Tilt yourself to the left, you'll move closer, then grab the ledge and pull yourself up."
I did as instructed but became a shadow as I touched the building. I flattened to it and slid over the lip to safety. There was a whistle of amazement and finally, I saw my would be killer; A woman built like a tank. Her hair, styled, short and coloured salt and pepper, her eyes were brown and had a weary yet energetic look to them. She was floating half a foot above the rooftop, arms crossed grinning wide.
 "You're... a mage?" I cautiously asked after turning myself solid again.
 "What gave that away? The flying?" she laughed "I'd wager you haven't met many others yet. Still fresh. Its crazy luck that I found you then. You're a Death mage, right? That's why you can become a shadow?"
 "I-I dunno what that is... I just got this power about three months ago. I don't think I'm a mage, but if you think you know something, please tell me!" I replied anxiously.
 "Just this? Death mages are supposed to wake up with a number of abilities and be aware of them. Do you remember anything before you got this power?"
 "Uh... A nightmare."
 "No, your life, before you died to an illness."
 "I haven't died, Haven't been sick in over a year, even."
 "Not a clue what you are then." she half mumbled with a sideways look.
 "Seriously!?" I whined.
 "Sorry," This strange person finally touched down and sat on the ledge where I had been pre-fall. "Your power is used by what's known as a Death mage. They're an impossibly rare type of magic user, created when they die of illness. Supposedly, when they die, their soul leaves their body and manifests itself in another place, now powered by darkness and shadows and without past memories. I saw you use your power and mistook you as one. I just had to meet you and try to learn more if I could. Kind of a bummer your not one."
 "Is there anywhere I can go, or someone I can talk to that might know what I am then?"
 "Mages would be your best bet. So, me. We keep records on everything we do, learn, and come across. My families collection is pretty big so there might be something useful to you in it. I could show you them if you like."
 "I'll do anything! Please show me!" 
 "Perfect. I have a job for you then. You're looking all over for info not privy to human's, right? Well I hunt for rarities of the same caliber. Could be anything really, but I want you to find me something rare and bring it to me. If you can't take it, take a picture or a video, something like that. As long as it's fits with our world separate of the humans. Could be objects, happenings, or beings."
 "Is there some sort of trick to finding this stuff?! That sounds way to hard too do... I'm already killing myself searching for other people with powers!"
 "No tricks, and it is hard. But I'm offering you the chance to read the journals of a mage. Priceless artifacts. Mages will do unbelievably disturbing stuff just to look at another's collection so don't complain about a little challenge well others suffer for less."
 After a long, frustrated pause, I agreed and we exchanged contact info. She stretched herself out next, and made a quick chant. I have no idea what she said in it but as the last syllable passed her lips, she winked at me and melted away into another warm breeze.
 And so my quest for knowledge turned into a quest to "collect all the things!" in a world I've only just learned about... I am so done with Wonderland, please let me wake up...

© 2016 Blayk McCartney


Author's Note

Blayk McCartney
I'm not affiliated with Loot Crate in any way. the characters are not depictions of real people. this is a fan made, original story.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

139 Views
Added on June 4, 2016
Last Updated on June 4, 2016
Tags: loot crate, modern fantasy, superhero, references, mage

Author

Blayk McCartney
Blayk McCartney

BC, Canada



About
I suffer from depression and anxiety, but I'm working on recovering. I'm in my early 20's and jobless I love reading, graphic novels, comics, and novels. I also love Nintendo games and Minecraft .. more..

Writing