A Journal

A Journal

A Story by E
"

A story I wrote to scare my friends, seems like it worked. I can't say anything about the story without spoilers, so just give it a read and enjoy... Or run. The tags are not story events.

"
I don't know what this is.  I found these papers 12 years ago, I don't know who owned them, or who wrote them.  What I've seen here scared me.  When I found these papers, they were bloody, and there was never a body found, never any evidence leading to one.  I had the blood tested.. Nothing, nothing at all.  I'm sorry if you're reading this, but I had to share it with someone.
May 17th 2004
I've been hearing voices in my head recently.  They tell me some of the most horrible things.  For example, this morning it said: The sun rises, and although it looks like a good day, keep in mind someone died every minute you watched it rise. 
I decided to see a psychiatrist about this.  I'm starting to get scared.
-End of entry.
May 23rd 2004
I met with my psychiatrist yesterday, he was a nice enough bloke, and believed that the cause of my mild schizophrenia was due to stress.  We got far, and scheduled a meeting on the 29th.  He was found dead three hours later.  There was no cause of death, no poison wounds, he was in perfect health.  His body was found drained of blood.  The voice acted up again, telling me that life is worthless, as we all turn to dust in the end, the effects of time waste us all away.  I have decided to take a weekend vacation to visit my family down south. 
-End of entry.
May 24th 2004
I decided to go fishing on the lake near my family's home, all was well, until I decided to head back to shore.  The lake began to fog up and the water began to get very rough.  The voice said: What is life? But trudging through a mess of misfortune for pointless rewards which amount to nothing in the end.  
 I responded by yelling: LEAVE ME ALONE!! 
After this I blacked out, and awoke on a bed in the home and shop of a clockmaker named Richard.  All the time I could hear the comforting sound of the clocks ticking.  Tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock.  I found the rhythm comforting and it kept me from my insanity until Richard arrived.  He had left me a note saying: I will return, try not to break anything.  I found you on the street, you looked as though you were dying, I did what I could to help. -Richard
I don't know how I got here, but I don't care.  I was safe for now, with the comforts of the clocks, tick-tock, tick-tock, tic-tock.  -End of entry
May 25th 2004
Richard arrived this morning, he told me that he had found me on the street, gasping for air.  He brought me into the shop and was able to resuscitate me, saving me from death.  I asked him if I could stay there for awhile and help him in the shop.  
He said "Of course," and soon after I was at the front desk, helping customers.  
My only companions were Richard and the clocks.  Tick-tock, tick-tock.  I'd mutter that in time with the ticking when business was slow.  The voice in my head seems to have subsided, maybe I'm becoming sane.
-End of entry
May 5 2005?
The time is uncertain, I'm not sure how long I've been here.  It seems like a few days only, but the calendar reads 2005.  Richard seems to have grown weaker, and many of my favourite customers have been showing up less frequently, and some have passed away.  It seems strange, such little time has passed, yet much of what I know is gone.  I recall hearing a voice saying: "The effects of time waste us all away," but I can't remember who it was.
-End of entry
May 13th 2007?
What seems like a few days has become 2 years, and Richard has grown much much weaker, and the shop is low on funds.  Tick-tock, tick-tock, the clocks keep ticking, and Richard's condition deteriorates.  He's  been getting worse each day.  He's bedridden now, unable to get up without going into a coughing frenzy.  I fear for his life, and where mine is heading.
-End of entry
May 14th 2008
Richard is dead, and the shop is running off of the money left in his bank account.  I got a customer today.  He walked into the store and asked me where Richard was?  I told him the news.  He sat down, time has taken my friend once again.....  It gets us all in the end.  I wend to bed, puzzled by this strange encounter, and I went to sleep after a long day. 
-End of entry
May 14th 2009
I could have swore that I made my entry yesterday, but another year has passed, alone with only me and my clocks, ticking on and on.  They never stop even, when I sleep.  The man from last year (yesterday?) came by again..  He asked me how I was getting on.  I told him fine, I've been keeping the shop up and running.  I've had enough money to keep myself alive/  He asked me if I remembered anything about the previous year.  I replied, no, just my same old routine.  He looked up at me and said.  
"You still don't see it do you?"  
"Life is nothing, nothing at all.  Nothing but a waste of people who could have bettered the world if they weren't crippled by time."
"Tick-tock, tick-tock," I whispered absentmindedly.  
The man said, "Why are you doing that?"  
I said, "Just following the clocks, force of habit."
He said to me, "The room is empty."
I saw that the clocks were gone, but I could still here the ticking in my head.  When I looked out the window I saw nothing but a white fog.
"Who are you," I asked?
He replied with, "I am your Final Day, I am the one who will set you free from the cripple of time."
Now the ticking got louder, and my head was writhing pain from the noise.  I remembered the voice form my old life, and I could hear the same voice in the man's.
WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME? I screamed.

He replied with: "I opened your eyes to the waste life truly is.  Take my hand, and I will take you to freedom."
Tick-tock tick-tock tick-tock tick-tock tick-tock, the noise got louder and louder.  
"I can make it all stop," he said.
I took his and and then everything stopped.  I could hear myself think finally.
-End of the Final Entry
-A message from the voice.
What is life? Honestly, nothing but a waste of humanity, nothing but misfortune leading to pointless rewards.  Lives are a waste, if life wasn't here, we'd only have death.  And death, is freedom.
-Final Day

© 2013 E


Author's Note

E
Be polite, and lemme know what you think. Hope you enjoyed and this is my first attempt at something creepy. Also, I'm a bit confused on the rules for dialogue.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

217 Views
Added on August 11, 2013
Last Updated on August 11, 2013
Tags: Horror, insanity, creepy, death, morbid, potato, metaphor, suicide, depression.

Author

E
E

Canada



Writing
Office Window Office Window

A Story by E


Easier To Run Easier To Run

A Story by E


What I Long To See What I Long To See

A Poem by E