The City

The City

A Story by CallMeAerin

The rain steadily fell, dripping down the sides of the buildings and soaking anyone who dared walk outside without an umbrella. Though the night was dark and the rain wouldn’t stop, the city lights still shone brightly, the nightlife looking only a bit duller as if looking through a fogged window. This was the only time the city ever felt truly at peace, with glistening buildings and a dark sky void of any stars that may try to peek through the clouds.

A lone figure waited by the bus stop; watching, waiting, admiring, for even the most mundane of people could feel the almost otherworldly air that seemed to surround the city at times like these. They glanced at you and appeared puzzled by your sudden appearance, but that slowly turned to shock as their face lit up with recognition that slowly turned into something akin to terror. Only when the bus arrived were they broken from their stupor and clambered on, shoes slick and mind reeling. The bus drove away leaving nothing but a seemingly empty stop, for who was the rain to leave behind a trace of anything less than mystical?

This was the city you had come to know for years, never different yet somehow constantly changing. It was a shame not many others ever really saw it as you did, with its towering skyscrapers similar to those guarded by majestic dragons in the fairytales you read as a kid, or the varieties of people within them such as the innocent bystander, the sadistic villain, or the admirable hero.

There you stood, reflecting where the person stood at the bus stop. Glancing up towards the sky and rain, you smiled, truly, for the first time since the accident. After all, it’s not every day someone sees your wavering, transparent form. When you looked at their terrified face, you couldn’t stop the glee that came from knowing your friend, your family in everything but blood, your killer, is someone who does.

© 2023 CallMeAerin


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

36 Views
Added on July 6, 2023
Last Updated on July 6, 2023
Tags: short story, ghosts, magic

Author

CallMeAerin
CallMeAerin

About
Hello! I'm just a student who wants to work more on and hopefully improve my writing. They/them pronouns more..