The Throne

The Throne

A Story by Emma Tanor
"

Khaleesi was just a farm girl her whole life. When the king dies, it is discovered in his will that Khaleesi is heir to the throne. Prince Charter does not like this, so Khaleesi is forced to run.

"

Chapter 1:

The Funeral

“Khaleesi will you get the mail” my mother, Rosa, yells from the other room. “Yes mother” I go get the mail and bring it to my mother, who is washing the freshly harvested vegetables. She gets up, she gets the mail and I see as her eyes widen. “Mother, what’s wrong?” I ask, worried we are being evicted. “ The king, he died.” She says, voice shaking. I do not understand why she is so upset, yes, a man died, but he is just a king. I know it is sad, but it’s not like we knew him, I haven’t even really seen him. “He will be buried in the royal morgue in the morning” She says, voice cracking. Mother leaves the room quickly, looking as if she might cry. I shrug this off and continue with my chores.

That night I make dinner, sure not to bring up  what happened earlier. We have squash soup, again.

Mother and I have always been alone, she told me my father died when I was a baby. We work on the farm everyday to make enough money to stay, well, alive. Things are slow right now, we just aren’t making enough money.

Before bed I go to the bathroom. I look in the mirror. I look a lot like my mother, long, thin nose, thin lips, light blonde hair, and dark blue eyes. I wear cheap clothes from our local tailor. When people look at me, all they see a farmer's daughter, nothing special.

When I wake up the next morning, I see a dress on the chair next to my bed. It is green and has a dirty white sash. It is nothing flashy, but will do. I hear the people outside going toward the palace. My mother and I get ready and join the crowed. As we get closer, we find our seats. The new king, King Charter begins to address the people. “My father was a good man, I will miss him.” He says this, but he doesn’t sound sad. “But at least I am king, right” He shouts this, we don’t dare to gasp, but are all shocked at this behavior. He laughs and sits on his outside throne. The body isn’t even cold yet.

As he is going on with his shocking actions, a man comes running through the castles doors. “Sir! Sir! forgive me” as he continues the prince stands from his throne and nods towards the guards. A guard wacks the man upon the head with some kind of weapon. “That is your highness now” the new king says in a frightening voice. “Yes of course, your highness, it is just that, I was going through your father’s will and” the man stops talking. The entire courtyard is deathly silent. “Well speak” King Charter says laughing at the frightened man. He begins to read the will. “ In my death I, King Author, hereby give the throne to its rightful owner, Khaleseese Alberaryan, my daughter”. The entire courtyard looks at me, including the prince. I am scared, I can tell just by looking at him, he is not stable. “What? That peasant?” the prince says, he laughs. I have to run, I have to get out of here. Now.  “Sir, I am sorry” the man says. “No! I am king! guards, sees her!”

Chapter 2:

On The Run

I run, out of the courtyard. My mother stands still, frozen with shock. This explains why she was so sad when the king died, she did know him. I keep running, guards shoot arrows at my head, Charter is screaming incoherently. I hear my mother yell for me, they arrested her. I don’t dare look back. I am weak, I will never win a fight against these guards. I hear people yelling, I see arrows shooting past my head, I feel tired but I keep running. “Aaah!” I scream, an arrow scraped my arm. The prince is screaming, something about being the rightful heir to the throne.  As I run I see the weapons shop. I quickly grab a sword and point it at a soldier. ‘If you make one movement, it won’t end well.” I say, I see he is only armed with a long wooden stick, so I make a run for it, slicing his arm in the process. I run through the city gates and into the woods.

Once I know I have lost them, I sit down and breathe. I go over all the events of the day. I think about how I plan to stay alive. I haven’t ever left the city, I have no idea what I am going to do.

I see a deer and decide to go hunting, I need food. I take my sword and start looking for animals.

When I find a place to camp, I make a fire and cook the deer I killed. While the food is cooking I make a place to sleep. I gather leaves and create a makeshift bed. When the deer is done I sit on the ground and eat. I miss my mom, and need to save her. Of course I can’t, the only experience I have with any kind of weapon is a rake. I should go back and tell the prince that the throne is his. That is a stupid idea, he will kill me before I get through the doors.

Chapter 3:

A Hero In The Woods

When I wake up the next morning my arm hurts. I sit up and rip off a piece of my dress from the arm and wrap it around the wound.

I need water, now. I haven’t had any since before the funeral. I get up and move, looking for water. After what I can only assume was an hour of walking, I find a stream. I drink and use the liquid to clean my wound.

I hear shuffling in the woods and draw my sword. “Who’s there?”  I yell. “Drop your weapon.” There's a woman, she has a crossbow and is aiming for my head. I put down my sword and back away. “There is no need to shoot me” I say calmly. “Give me your gold” she shoots a warning shot at the tree behind me. “I don’t have any gold!” I say. “I am just trying to escape the guards, please.” My voice is shaking.

She is ready to shoot, right before she kills me, she falls to the ground. I see another girl walk from behind her and take the arrow back. “Thank you” I say, in shock. “No problem” The girl says, she has short brown hair and some leather armor on. “If you are going to be in these woods, learn to protect yourself.” She says, looking at me up and down. “I heard you were running from the guards,”  “Yes, I am”. “Well, good luck to you, I hope you make it.” She sounds sincere. “Can you help me? I’m desperate” I plea with her. “Help you with what?” She seems skeptical. “Help me protect myself, I lived on a farm, I have barely held a weapon before today All I know is I need to protect myself”. I am begging at this point. “Okay” she looks up at me and nods her head.

We go to her home, she lives in a cabin in the woods. She is a hunter, I guess. I sit by the fire and she sits next to me. “So, why are you running?” She ask, I debate telling her the truth, but deem it too risky. “Minor theft, I stole a sword.” I look up at her and give a small smile. “So, what’s your name? I never asked.” I say, looking at the ground. “Daenerys Mallroid, and yours?”  “Khaleesi Alberaryan, why are you out here?” I ask. “I always loved the woods, being free out here, the walls of the city didn’t make me feel that way, so I left.” She says with a shrug. “We should go to bed, I have had an, er, interesting couple of days.” I say, “You’re right, night.”

In the morning Daenerys and I train. She teaches me how to hold a sword and swing with force. I pick it up pretty quickly. We train everyday all week. She teaches me to shoot a bow and how to fight with my fist. I learn how to stay alive. I didn’t think I had that in me.

Chapter 4:

Found

“Aaaaah” Daenarys screams. I wake up with a startle. I hear the clanking of swords and Daenerys swinging at a figure I cannot quite see. A guard. I scramble to get up and grab my sword and head for the fight. I dive into the battle and begin to fight. It hurts when I swing but not more than the guard stabbing me would.

The guard and I continue to fight, all I can hear is the clacking of swords. I find myself against the wall, as does Daenerys, the frightening guards towering over us. . “Drop your weapon, it’s over” They say in unison. I look at Daenerys and give a slight nod, hoping she will not continue to fight, we have already lost. She drops her weapon, as do I. The guards take us to the carriage and we are off to God knows where.  

I look at the ground as the horses gallops bump my head on the roof of the carriage. Daenerys is thinking about something. I look up at her, I shouldn’t have dragged her into this. I just sit and think. Why does the prince want to find me so bad? I obviously am not posing a threat to his throne. “What did you do?” Daenerys says out of nowhere. “I have been here thinking and, petty thievery? All this for a sword from a cruddy blacksmith? No, I don’t believe that, not for a second.” She looks confused and angry. I sit silent, debating whether to tell her the truth, much like I did when we first met. I decide to tell her, maybe it is because we are probably both about to die, but I am in a truthful mood right now. “I am heir to the throne and the insane prince doesn’t like that, so in his insane mind, he decided to kill me.” She looks in shock, only after saying the words do I realize how crazy they sound, before she can respond, the carriage stops.

Chapter 5:

Siblings Bonding

The carriage stops and the guards get us out. “Where are you taking use” Daenerys ask, with no answer from the guards. She looks at me with fear in her eyes. They take us down separate hallways and Daenerys looks back, I know where they are taking me, but I have no idea what they want with her.

The guards take me to a cell and lock the doors. I pace around the room a few times and after what feels like a century, the cell door flings open.

“Hello big sis.” The prince says in a patronizing voice. I look at him with hate and he laughs. “Trying to act strong are we, come on Khaleesi, we both know you're just a little farm girl.” He pauses and looks at me for a fraction of a second. “Although, your little friend did give our soldiers quite a fight.” “Good” I reply. He walks toward me and I look him in the eyes. “Why did you capture me? I obviously pose no threat to your precious little throne, can’t you just leave me and my mother alone?” I ask, this is something I have been wondering for a week. “I did it because I don’t want a threat to my crown living out there, someone who can just take my throne, prisoners can’t be queen, so I arrested you.” he says,with a smug smile, “you're sick.” I say, and I mean it. “Maybe so, but I am also king.” He laughs.  “You would rather be a mad man than a poor one?” I ask, crossing my arms. “Why of course! Wouldn’t you?” He says this as if what I said was comical. “No, but then again, I am not a madman.” Something in his insane brain just snapped, his eye began to twitch and I could see anger go over him “You will not talk to your king like that! I am the ruler of all the realms! I am King!!!” He screamed, jumping up and down like a child who lost his toy. I hold still, and do not dare move. The guards come in, I guess they heard the screaming. “Your grace, is everything okay?” They ask, sounding scared I am involuntarily shuddering, why didn’t I just shut up? “Take her to the guillotine, now!” I hear the words come out of his mouth and look for a way to escape. There is no way to escape. The guards grab me by the arms and drag me down the halls. I feel one of the men let go and soon after the other does. I look behind me and Daenerys is standing at the end of the hallway with a bow. “Looked like you needed some help.” She is right, I did.

Chapter 6:

Gaining An Army

We run down the halls and stairs trying to get out before we are discovered. We hid the soldiers and I got a weapon off one of them. It is only a matter of time before the king becomes impatient for my head. “Where is she?!” I hear Charter yell, I look at Daenerys and she tells me to duck. She shoots an arrow, there was a guard behind me.

We finally find a door and run out of it. There is a swarm of guards, luckily they didn’t see us. “Run” I say, this is my problem, she shouldn’t be fighting in it. She looks at me and I repeat myself “I said run!” And with that I swing at  a guard. She runs for the woods and I start swinging. Without armor I am very vulnerable but luckily I know how to use a sword now. I get all of them and run for the woods to find Daenerys. She is standing behind a tree waiting for me. “Hey, did you get them?” She ask, exhaustedly.  “Yeah” I say as I put my hands on my knees. “I have something I want to show you, I think you are going to need it.”  She motions for me to follow her.

We walk for what feels like hours, and when we are close, she tells me what we are doing. “I saw that king, I saw in his eyes, he is insane. This country needs a better ruler.” She stops walking, “ I think you could be that ruler.” When she says this, all I can think is “Sure, I might be a better ruler, but I will also die.” instead of saying this, I do not say anything. “I have some, er, friends, that I think can help you.” I look at her, wondering what she is talking about. As far as I know, she is alone in the woods.

We walk for a little while longer, and when we get there, it is far from what I expected. “They can be your army.” She looks at me and continues “You can win the throne.” It was a village, of giants. They were brawling and drinking, and she was right, with them, this would be an easy war to win. “Okay, you are right, that man should rule no one, I am in. “ She looks at me happily. “Good, then we should get to work on a strategy.” The giants finally notice us. “Daenerys, where have you been?” One of the giants stands up and comes over to us, they tower over us at least 5 feet, the giant pats her on the head. “I have been busy, I am sorry to barge in like this, but my friend needs your help. Khalessi, this is Barnaabi.” Daenerys says, “You are Khaleesi, we have heard about you, you are becoming quite the tale.” He says, “You have heard of me?” I ask, surprised. I didn’t know people knew about me. I don’t know why, of course this would be a big deal. A peasant  is heir to the throne.  “Khaleesi needs an army, I am guessing you know why?” Daenerys jumps in. “Yes, I know why, and yes, you can use mine.” Barnaabi says while motioning toward the soldier stand. “That king and his son have not been nice to my people, the throne could use someone like you.” he is right

We ate dinner and soon after everyone went to bed. I decided to stay up. I watch the fire crackle and think about this past week. I feel like I have changed more in this past week than is 2 years as a farmer. Daenerys is right, the king wanted to give me the throne because he knew his son was a lunatic. I get up and go to the bathroom and look in the mirror. One week ago, I did the same thing. I saw a small girl, with a thin nose and lips and long hair. Now I see a dirty face, a scar on my arm, torn clothes and ratted hair. But most of all, I see a strong girl, someone who is prepared to fight for what is right. A week ago, I was weak, ready to run into the woods at the first sign of trouble. Not anymore, never again.

Chapter 7:

The Throne

In the morning I call for the soldiers to come into the dining area. We talk strategy and how we plan to take out all the guards. They are very kind and I trust that they can help me. “So, do you think we are about finished?” The head soldier, Regon says. “Yes, I think that this will be good enough, those soldiers are not very strong.” I say, smugly. I feel like we can win this. That prince hasn’t worked hard in his whole life, he has sat on a throne and payed people to do everything for him. With Daenerys fighting and my knowledge of the city, it would be hard for us to lose. Charter doesn’t know the city, I haven’t ever seen him leave the castle besides the occasional trip to one of the other holds. I stand up and go to the blacksmith, one of the giants said I should have some armor there. “Hello sir, I am Khaleesi, Regon said you would have some armor for me?” The giant looks me up and down, “Yes, I do.” He says in a deep voice.

After waiting a few minutes the giant comes out of the shop with some armor. I look at it, it is amazing. Red body with iron around the shoulders. It looks like it will protect me in battle. “Thank you.” I say, “It’s beautiful”

I go into the cabin to get changed. The armor is a perfect fit. Daenerys comes in the room “Ready?” She asks. “As I will ever be.” I say looking at her in the mirror. She comes up to me and puts her hand on my shoulder, “We can do this.” She says, smiling.

I go outside and Barnaabi is waiting for us, we depart south for the city.

We walk for hours, about a quarter mile from the city Regon orders his men to stop. He nods at me and I take this to mean speak. “ That madman should not be king, and with your help we will make sure he never is one!” As I say these words the soldiers holler and draw their swords. We all charge toward the city. I hear the clashing of steal and see the guards dropping like flies.

The guards seem occupied with the soldiers, so I make a run for the castle. I am not here to kill soldiers, I am here to get my kingdom away from the insane king. I walk into a castle unnoticed. “Why hello sister.” Charter says, pointing his sharp blade at my forehead. “I thought we could play nice, but I guess I was wrong.” He presses the sword to my temple. “When were we playing nice? You tried to kill me, now it’s my turn.” “You might want to watch your tongue,” he presses the sword harder. “It’s over sis.” after he says this he falls to the ground. Daenerys is standing behind him with a crossbow.  I run towards her and wrap my arms around her.  “Thanks for saving my life, again.” “No problem.” . Regon comes storming through the door, “Khaleesi, Daenerys, it’s Barnaabi.” We run through the doors, the town is in mahem, I told some of the soldiers to get the civilians out, none are hurt. The guards are swinging and losing, how was I ever scared of them? I see Barnaabi, he is on the ground. I run towards him and Daenerys trails behind me. I reach for his pulse, he is dead. “Regan, take him to the guards carriage and back to your home, we will properly bury him tomorrow.” “Yes Khaleesi.” He replies. I go to the top of the stairs of the castle where everyone can see me, “Stop! The prince is dead, we have won.” The soldiers cheer.

That night, everyone in town eats dinner in the royal dinning room, none got hurt in the fighting and no homes were damaged.

Prologue

She did not lie that night. She was indeed fair, even and good to the people of the realm for all her days. Daenerys spent her days as a Knight and hand to the Queen. The giants and the guards got along well, the giants became the guard. Khaleesi made allies with the giants and for the first time and the two countries lived peacefully beside each other. Khaleesi made sure no one in her kingdom went hungry. Regan trained the guards as he did the giants. Khaleesi’s mother lived comfortably in the castle, and started a royal garden that she used to feed the people. And they all lived happily ever after….

© 2016 Emma Tanor


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

108 Views
Added on April 28, 2016
Last Updated on April 28, 2016
Tags: fantasy, medieval, queen, prince, sibling, strength, heroine, hero

Author

Emma Tanor
Emma Tanor

AR



About
I have short story and poem assignments at school, I figured why not post them to the internet. more..