An Offering For The Downtrodden

An Offering For The Downtrodden

A Story by David Ellert

This offering is dedicated to the junkies.  To the addicts suffering every single day and struggling to find a reason to continue.  To the lonely discarded husks of humanity wondering what’s it’s all worth, continuing the war each gruesome and bleak f*****g day with the faint hope of finding temporary reprieve and a taste of fleeting solace.   To the aching bodies and tortured minds of the hardest working, most resourceful, and least appreciated members of society.  To the people looking for Love in a bag and a reason in a spoon, and instead finding sterile paralysis.  To those who have looked inside Pandora’s Box.  This offering is for the solitary soldiers seeking refuge from themselves.  


This offering is dedicated to the queers.  To the gays and lesbians and bisex- ya know what?  To f*****g EVERYBODY.  To the people wondering why their Love is worth less than the Love of others.  To the people living in constant fear around family, friends, or employers simply because they were born a certain way.  To the people rejected by their peers or threatened with eternal damnation for possessing thoughts and feelings.  This offering is for the marginalized men and the written-off women and the underappreciated undefined.  


This offering is dedicated to the physically and mentally impaired.  To the humans burning from within to express themselves to the fullest, and yet never really feeling in synch with the world.  To the people ignored and passed over and neglected and mocked.  To the people called “lazy” and “exploitative” when they don’t achieve arbitrary, tangible success and called “pampered” and “favoured” when they do.  To the people who exert more effort into everyday tasks than seems humanly possible, and whose dedication and willpower to never give up would put others to shame.  This offering is for the disadvantaged people of all identities and backgrounds who endure more in a month than some do in a lifetime.  


This offering is dedicated to the women of the world.  To the people subject to sexual advancements and cat calls and sexist slang.  To the people still fighting in some pockets of the globe for the right to vote.  To the people continually marginalized in public policy and economically underrepresented, and to the people often denied the right to advanced education or employment.  To the people that in some areas are subject to honour killings, genital mutilation, and brutal public executions.  To the people called “s***s” while others get to be called “studs.”  To the people who are “b*****s” when they’re assertive and “needy” when they’re not.  This offering is for that stupid cockless minority group that apparently comprises about 52% of humanity.


This offering is dedicated to the children.  To the people who will endure a lifetime of under-funded schools and rising inflation and increasingly scarce job markets.  To the people that will soon grow up and look around and wonder what the f**k our generation left them with.  To the people who will ask us why regulations were more dangerous than polluted drinking water, why eco-sensible energy solutions were more dangerous than losing the rainforest and melting the ice caps and why marijuana was more dangerous than Pfizer.  To the people who will be left with nothing but ageing infastructure and a mountain of debt, wondering what life was like when a working wage could support a family and what water felt like when it poured from a tap.


This offering is dedicated to the poor.  To the people who are dismissed as underachieving and uncaring.  To the people outraged at the assumption that they would ever “want” to be poor, as if the stress of poverty wasn’t one of the greatest weights a human can bear.  To the people struggling to survive each day and to provide for themselves or their Loved ones.  To the people humbled and humiliated at their state of affairs, and who yearn for nothing more than a basic sense of pride so many take for granted.  To the people who want to hold their heads up high and feel a sense of accomplishment once again but don’t know where to begin.  To the people with amazing talents and attributes but no venue in which to showcase them because their only concern is pay another bill before eviction.  This offering is for the growing tsunami of poor who will one day be too large to ignore.


This offering is dedicated to anybody who has ever wondered what the point of all this crazy bullshit even is.  To anyone who has struggled to find a reason just to continue the daily war.  To anyone who feels incarcerated, or addicted, or neglected, or rejected, or unappreciated or forgotten or abused.  This is for the people who are misunderstood and marginalized and mocked, and for the people working harder than many others will ever realize.  This is for the people who face seemingly insurmountable challenges and stay the course.  This is for the people who ache every day to touch something real, and for another human being to say “Thank You.”


This is for anybody who has ever felt alone.  



***


You’re pretty f*****g beautiful, you know.

© 2014 David Ellert


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

231 Views
Added on February 11, 2014
Last Updated on February 11, 2014

Author

David Ellert
David Ellert

Winnipeg, Canada



About
I'm a fella chalk full of moxie. No guff! Plus, I kick a*s at Tetris. Anyways, I'm a twenty - something male currently writing fiction from my pad in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. I hope you dig s.. more..

Writing