My Frenemy: Lonely

My Frenemy: Lonely

A Poem by Ghost,Pastel
"

Since I moved to a new city, Lonely has become a big part of my life. It was all I felt, the reason I did anything was driven by how Lonely I felt. So I dedicate this to my Frenemy, Lonely.

"
My frenemy: Lonely

Lonely calls me up and asks me to hang out as soon as my friends all leave.
Lonely asks to be my rebound sex
it asks to hug me at night
to haunt my dreams

Lonely asks to control my life decisions
it asks me to put on make-up
and buy expensive clothes
To cross the road a bit more slowly,
to drink just one more.

Lonely convinced me to start working out
We decided we could go boxing...
Lonely really hits.

Lonely asks me to call up my ex and make sure he's okay
(he's okay)
Lonely is talkative, very loud, and very tall
it takes over me and when lonely isn't in a quiet corner lingering with the rest of my unaddressed fears
then Lonely is in my bed: whispering in my ears.

Lonely asks me to beg "please! we can make this work!"

Lonely almost bought me a plane ticket and convinced me to flush down my future to be able to hold a mans hand.

Lonely likes to visit. And Lonely hates to leave.
I don't think it ever did.

Lonely celebrates my birthday better than anyone else
it brings me my favorite cake and a box of tissues.

Lonely sometimes shuts up, when the phone rings and someone talks over its constant nag or when someone compliments my smile.

Lonely is pleasant.
After a long night in a crowded subway lonely feels...
..safe.

Side note: While self-reflecting, I decided to talk (with my brain) about loneliness, and writing this piece. I asked (myself) why I wrote it and I guess the answer was because I am comfortable with loneliness (which is the very reason it is portrayed as a person, a friend almost). It is a fact that I'm alone (because my situation allows me to be just that) and that there is a certain comfort in dealing with loneliness by simmering in it. It doesn't hurt me (most days) which is why I decided that Lonely is pleasant, a friend that sometimes visit to help me deal with the reality of life, and other times punches me in the throat. Frienemy. I know many people (almost everyone) has Loneliness around in life and maybe I wanted to open the floor for debating and communicating about that very topic through this submission.

-Pastel

© 2017 Ghost,Pastel


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

There are indeed some people who feel comfortable being lonely. I think the longer you're with him, the easier it gets. But the day will come when someone comes along and you start to leave lonely at home by himself. But...that always depends on who you like best I guess.

My only gripe about this poem is the light font which makes it a tad hard to read.

Nice writing, Pastel.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

There are indeed some people who feel comfortable being lonely. I think the longer you're with him, the easier it gets. But the day will come when someone comes along and you start to leave lonely at home by himself. But...that always depends on who you like best I guess.

My only gripe about this poem is the light font which makes it a tad hard to read.

Nice writing, Pastel.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

75 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on December 5, 2017
Last Updated on December 5, 2017
Tags: free verse, poetry, writing, loneliness

Author

Ghost,Pastel
Ghost,Pastel

Mountain View, CA



About
I write and I take pictures more..

Writing