The Last Time

The Last Time

A Story by Josh
"

A father holds his baby daughter one last time.

"

She was so cold.  Holding her in my arms I can remember how cold she was.  Not just cold feet and cold hands like some babies get and you have to cover them with socks and gloves.  But, her head was cold too.  I put a little cap on her head.

                I knew I didn’t have much time left.  They’d be coming to get her soon.  How would I react, I remember wondering.  Would I protest?  Would I be fine with realizing that this would be the last time holding her?  I was still making little ‘chicka, chicka’ noises in her ear like I always did and she’d smile so big.  I wish she’d smile now.  Oh, baby, won’t you smile just one more time.  Just one more time for Daddy.

                The door of the hospital room opened halfway and there was a soft knock at the door, “Mr. Smith?”  It was Mrs. Cooper from the funeral home.  “Take all the time you need.”  She left.

                It was a long time before I was ready.  I kissed my little girl’s cheeks and then her little hands one last time.

© 2014 Josh


Author's Note

Josh
Any criticism appreciated.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Short and very moving. Thanks for sharing - a good piece of writing, well told.

Posted 9 Years Ago


P.S
what was her name? if you don't mind me asking.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Josh I think this is amazing and so brave of u to share such an emotional experience with us. I am so glad
that u finally found something to write about, I hope this means that u will continue with writing now and if u wanted to add more detail and make it longer you could that would be great, it would only make the piece even stronger. It's all up to u on what u want to do with it from here, what ever u decide I am behind ya 100% of the way. You have so much potential, I am proud of ya it takes guts to let others read your work let alone letting them judge it. It takes a true writer to see that this is will make u a stronger writer, it also builds character. I hope that u will continue sharing with me and others, I can't wait to read your next piece! Well see ya! :)
-Camille

Posted 9 Years Ago


Josh

9 Years Ago

Thanks, Camille!! I think I might make it longer and add more detail, make it a little more persona.. read more
Writer360

9 Years Ago

That's a pretty name, I love that name, along with many others like Nathan, Rose, Hazel, and Bill. M.. read more
Should I make it longer? Add more detail? More back story?

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

186 Views
4 Reviews
Added on November 24, 2014
Last Updated on November 24, 2014
Tags: baby, father, daughter, family, death, grief, mourning

Author

Josh
Josh

Writing