Alone in the city.

Alone in the city.

A Story by Death Stalker

      In the pitiful year of 2025, the whole area of metal that once was bright and towered the skies, was now a dull ruin. The beautiful colors that once hugged the towers was now gone, leaving behind a dull gray the metal is known for. The sleek black streets that maze the city were now cracked so badly, each piece is roughly the same size as a teacup plate. The tall towers that once claimed the skies now claimed the streets as metal rubbles.
       The green hazes dominated the city, even though the haze is subtle, it’s still make itself known. The haze even made the sky green if one is in this city.
       The roaring creatures that once crawled on the sleek black street were now silent, some of them are on their sides, spitting out their insides. Some are upside-down. The two legged creatures that once rode in these crawling creatures was gone, not in existence any more. But then… the rubbles that claimed the streets began to move as the top piece crumbled down over others.
       As the rubbles impacted the sleek black road, which was like gunshots in
the deafening silence, a two legged creature emerged out of the pile of rubbles. The two-legged creature groaned in pain. As it slides down the rubbles, the rubbles screamed in protest as they clattered against each other. Its face was dirty beyond recognized. Its long sleep black hair was tangled beyond repair, and through the dirt on its face, shone a bright blue eyes, searching for help. It called out “Hello?”

Silence greeted it back; it tried again to call out with its high pinch sound. “Hello? Anyone?” It began walking, keep calling out in determination for answer. Silence only answered back, refusing to let any sound greet her. Fear creep up on it as it began to run. The rubbles evilly tripped it, as she made halfway down the road. It looked around after it got up, found a box with a logo of a food on top, it eagerly opened it, only to find nothing but weathered stains on it. However the creature found a bottle that contains half-empty water, it opened it and drank it to the very last drop.
       The creature decided that there is no one around to help it, so it needed to survive in this odd world. It saw a newspaper and picked it up. The date on it said November 4, 2020. There was nothing on the newspaper that could explain what happened to the area of metal it was in.
       The creature began walking again, trying to find any hint of how to get out of there. It began searching everywhere as it could search, from the stuff that littered the streets, to the stuff that littered the floors in each building. Nothing showed any evidence of any hint on what happened to the area of metal.
       It stomach growled for food, so it went in one of the crawling creature that once roared the city. At last it finally found food, but it was only a mere stale loaf of bread. But it still ate the bread anyway.
       As the sun drooped down, the creature had gotten ill. It started as a stomach aches that evolved into vomiting. But it’s still determined to go on, finding food along the way. The sun dropped down a bit, and the creature collapsed under a fever. It decided enough was enough and it closed its eyes to doze off.
       The sun drooped down dangerously close to the horizon as a roar in the distance came to the deafening sound. A brightly colored crawling creature emerged out into the road; it stopped as soon as the two-legged creature dressed in yellow peered outside and saw the sleeping creature at the end of the road. The crawling creature resumed crawling toward the sleeping creature. The yellow creature climbed out and walked to the sleeping creature. The yellow creature with a mirror on where the head should be put its hand on the neck of the sleeping creature. A slight tap on its finger told the yellow creature enough. Yellow picked the sleeping creature up and laid her inside the brightly colored crawling creature before getting in itself.

The crawling creature crawled forward and made a turn made its way through the maze-like streets to a long road. This road is very unique because it contains no metal towers like the city, and the green haze is slowly going away. The sun drooped down, darkening the land around them quite quickly. After the moon has risen and reached the very top of the sky, the horizon glowed by another area with metal towers, but this one is alive.

Brightly colored, even the light had colors. The brightly colored creature crawled in the area with towering metals, the sleek black road smooth and crackles made the creature purred. It made its way past other roaring crawling creature and stopped under a dull tower with a bright red cross on top. The yellow creature screamed for the large door to be opened.

The roaring creature roared his way in the room as the large door closed down. “We got a survivor from Radiation City One! We need help over here!”

    As soon as the yellow creature finished its sentence, more yellow creatures came into the room and carried the sleeping creature. They carried the sleeping creature into a room, where more yellow creatures with a red cross below the mirrored part of where the face should be started to inject a very thin tube into the sleeping creature’s skin.

            “Radiation is flushed out; it’s now safe to take off the radiation suits.” The last one to inject the sleeping creature announced. The entire yellow creature began taking the yellow skin off, exposing themselves as common as the sleeping creature; hair long or short, facial is all different. They were just humans like the sleeping creature.

            They all left after checking up on the sleeping creature. They were replaced by two creatures, one dressed in black and the other dressed in blue. They stood there silently, waiting for the creature to wake up.

            By the time the sun had risen, so did the sleeping creature, waking up out of her long sleep. “Hello, my name is Detective Ronald,” The man dressed in black formally said, “and this is my partner, Detective Harrison. May we know your name?”

            “Luna… Luna Gravin” The creature said.

            “Do you know what happened?” Ronald asked.

            “No… all I know is that I woke up inside a huge pile of rubble, took me hours to climb out of, and when I do get out, I searched for life. Naturally I found no one, so I started to eat around the food that was left behind, and got very sick… I must’ve collapsed or something because the next thing I knew is that I woke up here…”

            “Well, what happened before you woke up was… a nuclear attack went out of nowhere and attacked the town you were in, no one knew where the bomb was, all we knew that every month since then, and nuclear attacks came from all over the world. The direction was anywhere from south, any direction, even from the north. So we can’t pinpoint where the threat was coming from, so since then we’ve set up outposts everywhere nearby the attacked city, this city being one of them. The searchers, which we call them Rad-Sniffers, go around in the nuclear attacked city to search for survivors.” Harrison explained.

            “And since you said you were trapped in rubbles, it was probably packed together tightly to keep out the radiation out, thus protecting you from death. You said you have been eating, so the radiation attacked as soon as you ate, which was why you got sick so fast.”

            “Yes, perhaps it is so.” Luna nodded thoughtfully. Ronald opened his mouth to say something but was interrupted by a loud whistle that rattled their bones.

            “Another nuclear missile…” Ronald groaned.

            “Perhaps… when I’m healthy enough to leave, maybe I can help you, or become Rad-Sniffers?”

            Ronald and Harrison looked at each other, Harrison nodded, “We do need help setting out the casualties list, and forms of identification for the missing body for the Rad-Sniffers. Thanks to you, we finally found life in radiation cities, the Rad-Sniffer that rescued you has been sent to the leader of Rad-Sniffers to inform them that to add another search list, which is large, piles of rubbles.”

            As soon as Ronald and Harrison left the room to investigate where the most recent nuclear missile went, Luna closed her eyes and fell deep asleep, catching up on a lot of rest so she can be ready to help.

© 2012 Death Stalker


Author's Note

Death Stalker
I wrote this for a small contest in my school, unfortunately it didn't win, however I discovered that there was 200 stories that were submitted, so I got a .5% chance to get this story in, so I have to be extremely lucky to get this to be the winner, but I wasn't... anyway, what do you think!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I'm bad for a review because I'm a negative person so it comes out as what I don't like. deafening silence is a really brutal cliche I would not use. I would also like to see - the same thing overall - but more variety in the words. Crawling is used too much for me. Some of the crawling could be crept or slunk or whatever, just mixing it up. The word creature needs some other options. The thing, the beast, the monster, the entity, some sort of variety in the title. I like the visuals. I like a movie camera style. The dialog comes across as smooth. The number one thing I would change is word variety. 1,500 words has creature 44 times, sleek black is 4 times. For me prose is poetry. Need to make every image its own. Overall I liked it because I read it all and cared to comment.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I'm bad for a review because I'm a negative person so it comes out as what I don't like. deafening silence is a really brutal cliche I would not use. I would also like to see - the same thing overall - but more variety in the words. Crawling is used too much for me. Some of the crawling could be crept or slunk or whatever, just mixing it up. The word creature needs some other options. The thing, the beast, the monster, the entity, some sort of variety in the title. I like the visuals. I like a movie camera style. The dialog comes across as smooth. The number one thing I would change is word variety. 1,500 words has creature 44 times, sleek black is 4 times. For me prose is poetry. Need to make every image its own. Overall I liked it because I read it all and cared to comment.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh so this was the story you were talking about :) glad I can finally read it. It's a great concept and was quite interesting leaving you to wonder what would happen to this Luna and who or why somebody would send these missiles. What's gonna happen next?! It just needs a bit of a grammar clean up - so watch those words! Good job: a good read :D

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

219 Views
2 Reviews
Added on November 16, 2012
Last Updated on November 16, 2012

Author

Death Stalker
Death Stalker

Tucson, AZ



About
I like to write, any story that lurks into my mind. I've been writing as long as I can remember. It all started with nothing to do, it was nighttime... I was sleeping, I have a vivid dream, that ta.. more..

Writing