Heartburn

Heartburn

A Story by Gerri Tucker
"

Emotions. I had a friend coming over that gave me mixed feelings. I swore she would never come over again... apparently I'm a vow breaker.

"

It was an acrid taste that was in the back of her mouth, at the base of her tongue and splashed against her throat. Metallic, but not the coppery flavor of blood, more like iron, or aluminum. Yes, aluminum containers. Like when food had sat too long and was hot, how when your fork scraped the side of the container you could taste the metal as if it had come off and flaked into your food. Perhaps this was what battery acid tasted like, a bitter tang with rotten edges. She stuck her tongue out and ran her finger along it, pulling away the slime of saliva. It didn't seem like it was caustic, but it felt that way, burning down her esophagus into her stomach and heart. A heart, that fluttered in anticipation and... joy? Yes, there was some happiness to be found in the juices, a slightly-sweet breath of air that sent butterflies down to mingle with the acid saliva, little feather brushes in her mind. These two emotions were so conflicting she felt they should not correspond. Her stomach roiled, a faint nausea echoing her thoughts. They were going to eat her up inside, butterflies and aluminum-tasting stomach juices. All because of one little thing.


You swore it wouldn't happen.

But you want it to happen because you're that pathetic.


A fleeting smile and closed eyes as she hung her head over the toilet, crouched around the ceramic bowl. It was cold and smooth to her fingers, splayed across the surface. It was amazing, that this one thing would do this to her. Words were inaccessible, and it was too late to take back the preceding events that had led her to this point. Hocking up saliva in her cheek, she spit it into the watery depths of the porcelain throne, staring at it as it began to fade and disperse in the water. It was so sad that this one thing would make her heart burn in such a manner.


Butterflies and acid. 


"F**k."

© 2011 Gerri Tucker


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

118 Views
Added on July 1, 2011
Last Updated on July 1, 2011

Author

Gerri Tucker
Gerri Tucker

Miami, FL



About
My name is Gerri. I'm twenty, which is a pretty scary thought. I've been writing almost as long as I've been reading- and that's a pretty long time. I love talking to people(at least online, I'm a .. more..

Writing