Dark Desires

Dark Desires

A Story by The Uncommon Muse
"

Vampire piece I wrote 3 years ago before the world was obsessed with sparkly vampires and overrun with Twi-tards

"

A predilection for all things dark had led her to these lands and she shivered slightly as the evening fog crept about her ankles, like the cold clammy fingers of a not long dead corpse.  The wind swirled insidiously around her, seeming to whisper of dark evil things better off not seen and she fought to keep her eyes from obeying the wind’s command. 

 

She’d already paid a midnight visit to Shadowside Manors, the collection of homes and castles that were the residences of the denizens of Darkside Moors.  The lands had beckoned to her soul, bathed as they were with the deep dark colors of midnight.  The gothic structures standing like stoic sentinels of the night.  She had made a mental note to look for a piece of this stark beautiful land to claim as her own.  Her travels had then led her to Darkside Eclipse Night Club, where she had discovered that even dark creatures craved social interaction.  The multitude of things to see and experience in the club had overwhelmed her and her head had started to swirl.  She would have swooned and fallen had the man next to her not caught her in his arms. 

 

The tag on his lapel had read “Darksider” and gazing at his countenance she’d thought the title quite apropos.  His eyes had been black as coal and for a moment they’d gleamed with a fierce light.  She’d shivered as that gaze had locked on hers and his lips had curved into what she was sure was meant to be a reassuring smile but had instead felt feral and savage, as if she the mouse and he the cat with hunger in it’s eyes.

 

Setting her gently back on her feet, the man had taken her hand and led her to a dark corner where he introduced her to his companions.  Some were sinfully dark, some were ghostly pale, and still some were creatures her mind had no knowledge of, but all had welcomed her as if she were one of their own. 

 

Tucking her arm into his, he’d led her about the club and spoke to her of who the Darksiders were, his voice weaving a web of dark seduction about her.  “We are a group who glories in all things dark and virulent.”  “We seek the dark decadent excesses that others shun or hide from.”  “At Darkside Eclipse, we gather together for friendship and fellowship, to meet others who share our desires and to welcome new members to the fold.”  “We encourage those who come here to us, to release and embrace the darkness inside of them.” 

 

His gaze had captured hers again and he’d whispered to her in that soft seductive tone, “Have you been to Midnight Square, my dear?”  “Have you seen the paintings of the land where the Vampires feed, and the Lycans roam?”  “Where the darkness calls to you with a siren’s song you cannot resist?”  Trembling and unable to break his gaze, she’d mutely shaken her head.  His eyes had taken on that fierce gleam again and with a press of his lips to her forehead, he’d sent her hurtling through the black night to where she now stood…….Midnight Square.

 

Glancing about at her immediate vicinity, she saw that she had been transported to a large, well-lit area and around her, as the Darksider had hinted, hung the pictures of the creatures that roamed this land.  Vampires, Demons, Lycans, Weres and Fae all dwelled amongst the mortals here in this land.  As her gaze continued its tremulous journey, she shuddered and took note that beyond the light of the square lay a sea of total darkness she found she was hesitant to yet enter. 

 

Curious about the creatures, despite the pounding of her heart, she turned and studied each picture and the descriptions underneath carefully, cataloging each race’s peculiarities and hierarchies.  It was a wealth of information that might have taken her months to gather on her own.  Each race, though vastly different, welcomed any of their kind to join them and to make Darkside Moors their home.  One needed only to contact their race’s ambassador and make their presence known. 

 

Pulse thrumming with fear, and if she were honest, excitement, she strode to the edge of the town square, her heels striking the stones forcefully in a fast staccato beat.  Stepping down into the waiting arms of the darkness, her eyes furtively scanned the inky blackness of the night as it wrapped about her like the arms of a long lost lover clasping her to his breast.  Her every sense on full alert, she drew the cold black night air deep into her lungs as she sought to acclimate her being to its new surroundings. 

 

Deep dark music echoed over the night, throbbing through her body, stretching her nerves taut as she began her journey through the streets.  Her breathing hitched as the seductive music wove its web about her, luring her with promises of the dark delights to be found here.  Falling prey to its call, she felt that dark part of her being break to the surface, like a phoenix from the fire, as the city claimed her for its own.

 

The buildings rose before her, one after another, like giant stone monoliths and her eyes widened impossibly bigger.  Nerves pounding, limbs trembling, she ran up one path and down another, her over-stimulated mind playing tricks upon her and she imagined each window an evil all seeing eye, each door a gaping maw ready to snap its jaws onto her limbs.  Her body burned with exertion and her mind shrieked as she twisted to escape the grasping claws of a wrought iron fence   Whimpering, she lurched past the cemetery, barely registering the regal architecture and the beautiful monuments, past the park and its bold, bountiful greenery, past the carnival, its bright lights flashing like beady eyes in the darkness. 

 

She encountered pale creatures and dark creatures alike, their eyes watching her stumbling journey with interest, wondering her friend, foe or dinner?  She paid them no heed, her mind lost to all but the call of the city.

 

Suddenly, there, up ahead, loomed the area where she had originally begun this dark journey.  A guttural cry ripped from her throat as she staggered those last few feet to collapse into the light.  Gasping for air, she started to chuckle and soon she was engulfed in her own wicked laughter, Oh she was going to like it here!

© 2010 The Uncommon Muse


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Dear Muse,
I was enjoying the Dark Desires , just eating it up
when I started seeing, thinking, and imagining errors.
Hardly any errors exist, but since we had discussed
editing and perfect grammar, I keep thinking about
that as I read. See, you are perfection , you have
converted me to one of you.
In spite of spoiling the story , it was very enjoyable
with unbelievable characters and a highly imaginative
plot. Thanks

---- John


Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The Uncommon Muse

10 Years Ago

thank you John. As much as it is your own quirk to like those small errors, it is my own quirk to e.. read more



Reviews

Dear Muse,
I was enjoying the Dark Desires , just eating it up
when I started seeing, thinking, and imagining errors.
Hardly any errors exist, but since we had discussed
editing and perfect grammar, I keep thinking about
that as I read. See, you are perfection , you have
converted me to one of you.
In spite of spoiling the story , it was very enjoyable
with unbelievable characters and a highly imaginative
plot. Thanks

---- John


Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The Uncommon Muse

10 Years Ago

thank you John. As much as it is your own quirk to like those small errors, it is my own quirk to e.. read more
Thanks Donna, I will read through it again,....fragments always do me in!..lol

Posted 13 Years Ago


Wickedly alluring! I loved this piece. It held my attention all the way through. :3 I would, however, read through it again, because I found one or two sentence fragments, but, otherwise, there was no other grammatical mistakes I could see, nor any spelling mistakes (if I didn't recognize a word I looked it up to make sure lol). Overall, this was a delightful read!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

347 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 5, 2010
Last Updated on August 11, 2010
Tags: vampire, fiction, fantasy, dark

Author

The Uncommon Muse
The Uncommon Muse

Tallahassee, FL



About
I'm a writer focusing on erotica, fiction and poetry. I love creating characters and breathing life into them. I rarely write poetry just to write poetry. My poetry is intensely personal and is wri.. more..

Writing