I don't remember why I wrote this, but I like it :)

I don't remember why I wrote this, but I like it :)

A Story by TUS
"

A story about a man, one who is left to his own battle.

"
'Some-where, lost.' 'Everything is gone..'
'How?'
'Am I Dead?' In a busy market the man walks with purpose though he's forgotten what. Deep lines of concentration furrow his brow, and yet his eyes are far away, looking onto a distant place, his mind loose. Intangable.
'Blackness, so complete. How am I still thinking.. Am I thinking?' Never had a mind been so unprepared for such a thought. Surely it was obvious, but with nothing to ease this sense of disembodiment, the feeling of fear grew.
'It can't be true, I have so much to do. I refuse.' The man now turns left, down an empty street, dirty locks of hair hanging over his un-shaved face. Rags clinging to a scarred and tattered body.
'No sense of time.. If I'm dead, then is this hell?' No voice to answer it, just a sensation of floating, not quite real but it held substance.
With the shade of buildings on either side, the man falls to his knees. Blood runs into pools from his blistered feet, but still his eyes remain fixed on nothing. Seeing things that no-other could imagine.
'Think! What happened... How did I get here?' Nothing. Just this blackness.
Now a crowd has begun to form around the man, quiet chatter ensures but he hears none of it, only the stillness, the blackness and a sense of being, without being anything.
While trapped, he feels something curl around his leg, he trys to scream but nothing comes out, but through the fear, a normal human reaction, he realises that something, is better than nothing. From the furthest reaches of the abyss he hears a voice, and though it's far away, it sounds so close he could touch it.
'Give in and you'll be set free.' Tempting, but there is a sinister tone to the command. He trys to answer, but again is forced to silence. But the voice seems to hear his reply.
'Give in and you'll be set free..' It commands again and in the blackness he shakes his head.
The crowd has grown and though noone dares get close, they can hear the man muttering what could only be a prayer of safe passage, his eyes staring through the people watching grows too much for some of them as they leave the circle. Shortly after the first people walk off, many take the same route, assuming the man is crazy. It never crossing their minds that he is trapped and in need of rescue. A mere act of kindness away from finding his way back.
'GIVE IN AND YOU'LL BE SET FREE!' The voice commands again, this time his leg is gripped by the horror left unseen. He screams, but the sounds just bounce around unheard. The man refuses.
'I have too much left to do.. I refuse.' This time he can hear his own words within the walls of his prison.
'Very well. If that is your wish.' The voice grows dim with distance as a few colours begin to wash into the darkness. And for a brief second, he sees the true horror of his situation and has time to wonder what kind of freedom could be granted by such a manevolent being.
The crowd are shocked into retreat when the man screams, loud enough to catch the attention of travelers outside the city limits. His eyes seem to clear and just before he collapses, he has time to offer a brief thank you to the sun and sky for their beauty and comfort and as his eyes close for the last time, the people who gathered could only wonder what kind of story such a man may have to tell...
The rag-man who came from seemingly nowhere to die in a shady alley, far, far away from his home.

© 2014 TUS


Author's Note

TUS
Go for it :) You know the drill.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

147 Views
Added on February 15, 2014
Last Updated on February 15, 2014
Tags: Experimental

Author

TUS
TUS

Hertfordshire, Bushey, United Kingdom



About
I'm an aspiring writer, along with the majority of the patrons of this website. I have been writing for as long as I could hold a pen although I've not studied the art for fear of losing my own abilit.. more..

Writing
Animals Animals

A Story by TUS


A wayward step. A wayward step.

A Story by TUS


N/A N/A

A Story by TUS