Darkest Diaries : A Bloody Parchment

Darkest Diaries : A Bloody Parchment

A Story by Alex L. Estival

(This parchment was found in the Weald, blood crusted all over it. Luckily enough, it is still mostly readable, though the paper seems torn at the bottom, and the parchment seems to almost have been tossed away.)

Day 0
We just arrived at the hamlet, my friends and I. It truly is a wretched thing. I had heard of the house that used to rule the land. Opulent... and imperial. The ancestral owner seemingly grew bored, and decided to unearth some secrets. I doubt it is as bad as the rumors say, in all honesty. The new lord of this place, seeking to reclaim his ancestral lands, came out of ''exile'', as it could be called, I would suppose, and led the first expedition. It was successful enough -- none died, as a matter of fact. They brought back their own fair share of loot, and they looked mostly unscathed. It seems encouraging enough -- gold and glory. I suppose Henry was right, after all.

Day 1, Entry #1
We are leaving today. A new bunch of wannabe heroes arrived, but they'll be staying so the lord can have a look at them. We will be packing up torches, food, keys in case we come accross lockboxes, bandages... Nothing could go that badly when you prepare that well. Right?

Day 1, Entry #2
We arrived at the Weald's entrance. Branches have been clearly cut, and you can still see the bodies of a few wild hounds. Salanda saw the body of a few bandits, and said we should move them out of the way at the very least. I don't think we should be using our torches to give them a proper cremation. Little chance of these bodies being anything but bandits, seeing as how the other expeditions saw no deaths from the hamlet's heroes. We'll be walking through the gate, and into the forest, and clear from where Garland left. It should be a relatively short expedition.

Day 2, Entry #1
The smell of rot is permeating the air. The very trees seem bent on ending us. We haven't met up with much... but I saw... things. Crawling and crying out from behind the bushes. I shudder to think about it. Salanda and Borlond were both hit by some sort of yellow spore cloud earlier, and they're coughing a bit. Henry insists that we press on, always deeper in the Weald.

(A smudge of blood covers up the next two entries)

Day 3, Entry #2
It has been a day since Henry has fallen. He fell down, coughing uncontrollably and practically vomitting those.... those mushroom-like things. Under his armor, there were plenty more, growing from his back. Salanda can barely walk, and Borlond isn't in a much better state. We should rest and have a bite.

Day 3, Entry #3
It's over. They ambushed us at night. Salanda wanted to sleep a little, but while she did, she started coughing and throwing up, like Henry did, and she never woke up. Borlond was the one who called out the... the... I don't know what to call them, but they're monsters. Aberrations. They look like twisted bodies, animated by a will to kill, excreting these deadly spores. Borlond wasn't of much help in the fight -- he was torn to pieces. I managed to finish the battle off, but...
If you possess any wits of your own, leave this place. This estate... is not worth saving.

(The parchment is torn. There are claw marks near the bottom, leaving the last few lines unreadable.)

© 2017 Alex L. Estival


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

113 Views
Added on July 10, 2017
Last Updated on July 11, 2017

Author

Alex L. Estival
Alex L. Estival

Quebec, Chicoutimi, Canada



About
-Writer in-becoming -Full-time student -Gamer -Anime lover -Wheel of time fan -IQ of about 73. -^Yes, that's a thing. -Roleplaying adept -Has played DnD before. -^Bladelock, yes please (5e ft.. more..

Writing